If you only had one Vintage Port to recommend from 1997-2004

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul Fountain

Re: If you only had one Vintage Port to recommend from 1997-2004

Post by Paul Fountain »

The 03 Noval is right up there for me, and you'd take a Nacional any time you had the opportunity, but to thow a different name into the mix that I was seriously impressed with, lets go the 2004 Quinta do Vale Meao (I think 04 is really under rated as a vintage based on the ports that I've had)
John M.

Post by John M. »

2000 Warres (since there are no repeats)
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Monique Heinemans. wrote:Picking up this older thread (as I'm reading a lot about the 1997 vintage at the moment): I would go for the 1997 Vesuvio VP. I had this twice and both of the times they showed extremely well, way too young, but delicious. Can't even say that I liked the 1994 Vesuvio VP (which I had only once) that much more.
I'm glad I didn't lead you astray there. I've been looking for a bargain on some 1997 Vesuvio since my recent tasting. Lekker.
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Eric Menchen wrote: I'm glad I didn't lead you astray there. I've been looking for a bargain on some 1997 Vesuvio since my recent tasting. Lekker.
Yes Eric, héél lekker! :yumyum:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'm less convinced today by the Croft 2003 than I was a few years ago. Right now, if asked to recommend just one port from this range of vintages I would recommend Quinta do Noval 2003 - buyer's choice whether the Nacional or the regular blend. Both are pretty darn impressive.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Just had the 2000 Noval Silval VP, very reasonably priced and drinking very nicely now, if those are important factors.
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:I'm less convinced today by the Croft 2003 than I was a few years ago....
Do you think it's in a phase that will pass? It was pretty impressive after being bottled.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Just had the 2000 Noval Silval VP, very reasonably priced and drinking very nicely now, if those are important factors.
Yes, I would say it's a very important factor. I know my answer would be different if it was for a good QPR meant to be consumed in the near term.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Al B. wrote:I'm less convinced today by the Croft 2003 than I was a few years ago....
Do you think it's in a phase that will pass? It was pretty impressive after being bottled.
It might be, I was impressed at first but less so now. The Noval seems not to be suffering from the same phase at the moment...