What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Quevedo 30 year old White.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:18 am Had a friend come by on Saturday and we had four bottles of vintage port, 1960 Taylor, 1963 Niepoort, 1963 Fonseca...
Wow... a dream line-up! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Had a friend come by on Saturday and we had four bottles of vintage port, 1960 Taylor, 1963 Niepoort, 1963 Fonseca, and after we finished those went for a 1995 Vesuvio. Was kind of pissed opening the 1960 Taylor as we thought we did not try that before. Only to discover I had that bottle on "empty vintage port bottle" display in the cellar. I looked into some notes and that one was had in 2018. The first time on the '60 Taylor was British bottled, and I think this one was Portuguese bottled. Color was much different between the two, but both were great. '63 Niepoort and '63 Fonseca were top notch as always.

Nice. And…Oh that explains the call. Lol. Sorry was tied up and didn’t get a chance to call back.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:18 am Had a friend come by on Saturday and we had four bottles of vintage port, 1960 Taylor, 1963 Niepoort, 1963 Fonseca, and after we finished those went for a 1995 Vesuvio. Was kind of pissed opening the 1960 Taylor as we thought we did not try that before. Only to discover I had that bottle on "empty vintage port bottle" display in the cellar. I looked into some notes and that one was had in 2018. The first time on the '60 Taylor was British bottled, and I think this one was Portuguese bottled. Color was much different between the two, but both were great. '63 Niepoort and '63 Fonseca were top notch as always.
That's a great lineup, but what's even more impressive is that the 2 of you plowed through 4 bottles in one sitting. I'd be on the floor after about 2 bottles.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:11 am That's a great lineup, but what's even more impressive is that the 2 of you plowed through 4 bottles in one sitting. I'd be on the floor after about 2 bottles.
My wife probably drank half a bottle to be fair, but also had red wine too. It's best to start the drinking early. We started around 5 PM and was done by 11 PM. We both had a couple of cigars while at it.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Last week i opened the first of my 3 Sandeman Vintage 2011.
I saw several comments that said that this Port could be good for more than 50 years. I was suprised but i now understand why.
There was beautiful fruits and freshness with a dense and powerful acidity well balanced. Everything i drink in 2011 is good.
The next bottle will be around 2040.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1985 Dows VP. Not a great showing :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1985 Niepoort VP. Smelled of airplane glue right out of the bottle. Took a tiny taste and I thought maybe it would clear. Came back 10 hours later and it was undrinkable. VA.

When that happens I reach for a TWAIOA. I opened a Maynard's 30 yo Tawny.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I'm having NIepoort LBV 2017, quite nice, one of the best I had from them in quite a while, returning to the full bodied style.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Vieria de Sousa 10 year old tawny.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1948 Souza VP.
Definitely tasted like a tawny, but well in that range such that it tasted better than several of my previous bottles of this wine.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1977 Warre's VP. A slight hint of VA, but not too bad. This bottle is definitely past it's prime, but I suspect it's the bottle and not the vintage. Overall, a nice drinking Port.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:56 am 1985 Niepoort VP. Smelled of airplane glue right out of the bottle. Took a tiny taste and I thought maybe it would clear. Came back 10 hours later and it was undrinkable. VA.

'85 Niepoort turn the scale from total VA to a splendid port. The most inconsistent port of the vintage I can think of.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:47 am
Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:56 am 1985 Niepoort VP. Smelled of airplane glue right out of the bottle. Took a tiny taste and I thought maybe it would clear. Came back 10 hours later and it was undrinkable. VA.

'85 Niepoort turn the scale from total VA to a splendid port. The most inconsistent port of the vintage I can think of.
I have 3 more bottles left, so I'm hoping at least a few are a winner.
Nick Mc

Post by Nick Mc »

Woke up Christmas morning. Felt fine but had a lot of messages on my phone that people I had been around tested positive. Took a test and sure enough….

11lb prime rib sitting on the counter…

I had already decanted a ‘95 Fonseca Guimaraens….

So I basically stayed in my room and drank the decanter.

Finishing it up now actually. 30 hours out of the bottle and it might be even better than last night…
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nick Mc wrote:Woke up Christmas morning. Felt fine but had a lot of messages on my phone that people I had been around tested positive. Took a test and sure enough….

11lb prime rib sitting on the counter…

I had already decanted a ‘95 Fonseca Guimaraens….

So I basically stayed in my room and drank the decanter.

Finishing it up now actually. 30 hours out of the bottle and it might be even better than last night…
Oh ouch. I hope you’re doing ok?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1994 Burmester VP
I opened and served this immediately to go with dessert on Christmas. It was good to start, but gained weight and improved with time. Give it a proper decant, maybe 6 hours?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A bunch of 2019 Vintage Ports

A 30 year old S. Leonardo

1945 Graham's Vintage Port
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

Enjoying a 1960 Croft for Christmas. Still has a lovely garnet color. Cinnamon and cherries on the nose and palate. A nice finish.... overall somewhere around 92 points for me! Nice bottle.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

2003 Kopke White Colheita

I'm really enjoying these young white Ports lately... so yummy!
Glenn Elliott