What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by John M. »

1988 Churchill Crusted Port - What a delight this wine was! Opened for Mother's Day and shared with the large group. Incredibly well received.

Removing the capsule the cork was depressed with an inordinate amount of "dirt" - Was concerned but needn't be. The cork with so tightly wedged in even with a Durand took a bit of effort to extract. The wine poured out a little cloudy but with 30 minutes had cleared considerably. It sat in the decanted several hours then was rebottled and taken to the restaurant. Once there I removed the stopper.

Faded plum and cherry, lingering aftertaste. Well structured, very easy to drink. Churchill is among my least personal favorite brands, yet this was a triumph. So glad I have several more bottles of this.

There aren't many Crusted Ports out there, and I suppose that makes sense with the way viniculture has improved and we are seeing a lot of SQVPs---no need for Crusted. Yet when did "blending" become a bad word? Crusteds should have their place IMHO; they offer something unique and beautiful.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1994 Ramos Pinto VP. With a few days in the decanter, it was a more delicate and soft tasting port than I would've thought. Still has decades of life ahead.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

40 yr Andresen tawny. Just a lovely old tawny. Yummy.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

2011 Presidential LBV last week. Good value for $20, bit hot. Worth including in a horizontal but didn't blow me away.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1970 Dow. Wife opened last night. Hoping this can carry us through the holiday weekend. [beg.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars