Getting ready for the HARVEST trip

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I was thinking the same thing...that pool is calling my name 8)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy V. wrote:I was thinking the same thing...that pool is calling my name 8)

.....and if you can't last the pace and fall asleep in the taxi home from Crasto on Wednesday night you might find yourself in it :P

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Putting two and two together is easier than you think eh?

Do bring a bathing suit, as a day at the Douro beach just might be in order. :roll: Can you think of a better place to consume '63 Nacional through a straw?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek, I never sleep :wink:
Do bring a bathing suit, as a day at the Douro beach just might be in order. Can you think of a better place to consume '63 Nacional through a straw?
Roy, only if I get an umbrella to go with my straw and '63 :P
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Do mobile phones (Cellphone) work in the Douro?

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have seen folks using them, including Mario ... but I am not sure if cell phones from other countries would have an easy time. Mario will know best.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

When I go to Portugal I always have a cell phone from a Portugal company and it does work fine all around the country. The signal is not as strong in the Douro but you can use it very well.

I know that many folks in Portugal have 2 mobile phones, one for inner country calls and one for the outside country calls.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company

Post by Guest »

Andy V. wrote:
dspriggs wrote:
Jay Powers wrote: Sounds good to me, I'm in! :D

Jay
Sounds good to me too!

-Dave-
Count me in too :D
I'm in as well :)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

In exactly 28 days time I should be resting in my room (or face down in the pool) following a night in the lagare at Crasto 8)

Breaking News

My partner, Jo, has just returned from Spain to the UK and has reported that fluids were allowed to be taken on board in hand baggage :shock: This could be good news for us if Portugues airports have followed their Iberian nieghbours in reverting to normal security procedures :D

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

You reckon that you'll be back in your room as early as 11:27pm? I think not.....surely a night in the lagares doesn't start until 11:27?

:D
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Trust me, sleep is very much overrated. 8)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

I was only going on what Roy has advised us of what he and his countrymen consider a late night. Obviously you and I can stay up until 4am as usual once our friends are tucked up in bed :lol:

Derek

PS: Look again, it was 12:27
Mario Ferreira

Cell phones

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Derek Turnbull wrote:Do mobile phones (Cellphone) work in the Douro?
YES. Mobile phones do work fine in the Douro. International mobile phones should be able to accept international roaming calls. Derek, maybe it's better you check with your mobile phone provider whether your payment plan allows international roaming. Portugal is with the GSM system - the standard system for all over Europe, I guess !?!
Frédérick Blais wrote:When I go to Portugal I always have a cell phone from a Portugal company and it does work fine all around the country. The signal is not as strong in the Douro but you can use it very well.
YES, that happens. Sometimes the signal is not very strong due to the extremely irregular geographic mountains of the Douro Valley.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, so who really wants a cell phone when on vacation anyways. After all, we'll be on vacation and having the time of our lives. Think of when you were all younger and there were no cells. You went on vacation, had the time of your life, and no one bugged you. If you needed to call home, you found a pay phone (or hotel phone) and made a quick call.

Sorry guys, just my little :soapbox:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

My name is Derek, and I'm cellphoneoholic :oops:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My name is Roy and I enjoy smashing cellphones during Port wine tours. Think in terms of what Pete Townshend used to do to guitars. Mild mannered guy he was, a Brit after all.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I don't own a cell phone, but I'll try to find something else to bring for you to smash.

Jay
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I guess its the digital-age equivalent of throwing your vodka glass into the fire at the end of a nights drinking......throwing your cell phone into the lagar and jumping up and down on it.

:twisted:
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

bridgema wrote:[...]......throwing your cell phone into the lagar and jumping up and down on it. :twisted:
Goshhhhhh .....
..... for a guy like me that carries 3 cell phones that means that in the Douro I'll have 3 times more jumping up and down to be done by the end of the day than anybody else !!!
- You guys wanna kill me ?? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mario, we could never kill you....your cell phones are another story :twisted: :twisted: Besides, will all the exercise you will get jumping up and down you can have an extra glass or two of port.