C. da Silva opens

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

C. da Silva opens

Post by Roy Hersh »

:winepour: Have a look at the photos that were taken by the manager of the new Port bar, C. da Silva ... Goncalo Devesas. :salute:

On the homepage, check out PORTraits.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Cynthia J

Re: C. da Silva opens

Post by Cynthia J »

Visited a week ago, got so busy Gonçalo and I had no time to talk - though bless him he found time to slip me the odd glass! Beautiful space, well positioned on the waterfront, and so far so good for tunrover, it seems. Will be returning one morning this week to learn more. Their strength is their colheitas and some stunning old whites - visions of evenings with foie gras dancing in her head...
Free lance wine writer based in Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very good news, I look forward to visiting it soon. From the pictures, it looks like they did a very good job on the layout.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
goncalo devesas

Post by goncalo devesas »

Some more few details and C. da Silva soul (ancient bottles) and still working in the outside advertising...and it will be ready for :ftlop: [welcome.gif]
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Any idea what time da Silva opens? I will probably have a couple of hours to spend in Porto / VndG over lunch before I have to catch a flight from the airport at 1700 in a few weeks time. It would be great to say hello to Goncalo.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Goncalo,
I saw the Facebook pic that was posted and it looked like the two patrons with beers were being handed a small vial of what I assume was Port, Is that correct? If so can you post a clearer picture of what it was and what is inside it?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Cynthia J

Post by Cynthia J »

10:00 to 7:00 seven days a week I think he told me...
goncalo devesas

Al B. wrote:Any idea what time da Silva opens? I will probably have a couple of hours to spend in Porto / VndG over lunch before I have to catch a flight from the airport at 1700 in a few weeks time. It would be great to say hello to Goncalo.
Hi Al, like Cynthia said I open the C. da Silva store/tasting room from 10:00 a.m. till 19:00 p.m..

Monday closed !

Hope to see you soon :winebath:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gonçalo,

After your last job working for JP, it must be nice getting off work at 7 p.m. nowadays and enjoying being with your family at night. I will toast to that! [cheers.gif]

One question: If you were to think of one thing that has surprised you the most about running this new operation ... what would that be?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
goncalo devesas

Roy, a enormous [cheers.gif] to that !!!

I´ve to say the way that people received me in Dalva and Cruz facilities; always friendly and ready to help me with anything that I need.
And...of course Mr. Jorge Dias (DALVA and GRAN CRUZ general manager) he´s a very knowlegeable and polite person, it is very easy to work with him and he delegates a lot of responsibility in me...

And daily understand the needs of the C. da Silva store, trying to make it more and more appellative.

I think that I´m making a good work in the 1st month by selling a nice quantity of premium Ports, visitors are delighted with Dalva Vintages, old whites, Colheitas and aged tawnies.

It´s being a incredible experience.

Thanks Roy :salute:
Cynthia J

Post by Cynthia J »

Gonçalo - glad you get Mondays off, after I posted that, i began to worry about you... The tastings are a pretty incredible experience too!
I still owe you another visit, but suddently got flat out at work myself - I haven't forgotten ! Just not sure when I will get there, it may not be till next weekend at this rate, desculpe! beijinhos...
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Does anyone know the address and phone number for the C da Silva wine bar and lodge?

Thanks.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:Does anyone know the address and phone number for the C da Silva wine bar and lodge?

Thanks.
Alex,

Here you go for the address for the wine bar, but I don't know the phone. I've sent an email off to find out.

Avenida Diogo Leite 154, Vila Nova de Gaia

here's a google link
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here's the phone for the store.

+351 223752980
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I can't wait to see this in person. [cheers.gif]
goncalo devesas

It is amazing that people may taste for FREE the "premium" Ports like the Golden Whites 1952/ 63; 30y, over 40y old, 20y dry white and colheitas from the sixties and eighties...
It has been rewarding, seeing people walking around after visiting us and then come back...distinctive Ports and tastings. [cheers.gif]
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I visited Goncalo yesterday and the shop is fantastic!

It was good to see Goncalo, Gustavo and Raul and a real pleasure to be able to taste these wonderful old wines.

Thanks!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I had the chance to visit Goncalo last week, before I rushed off to Germany, and was greeted in terrific style. I was able to try the Dalva 20 year old white tawny - the first white with an indication of 20 years of age that I have ever seen - and it was very good.

Many thanks to Goncalo for the hospitality ... and there are still a handful of (extremely expensive) bottles of the 1952 Golden White still available and a really delicious '67 colheita.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

Yes, the 1967 is da bomb. I discovered and wrote about it in the newsletter back in July after tasting it in May. Great stuff.

Glad you made it over to see Goncalo. I am so happy his biz is doing well, BTW, Kopke was the first 20 year old White Colheita that I am aware of.
Gustavo Devesas

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

Alex,

Thank you very much for leaving the 1983 Quinta do Noval Nacional at the Dalva shop. I had the time of my life tasting it with Derek, Raul and my brother - as it's my birthday year - the empty bottle is now right in front of me, in my bedroom, next to other dozen of milestone Ports. Once again, thank you [cheers.gif]
Together we fall, united we stand.