Beverages and More 1/2 off sale

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Beverages and More 1/2 off sale

Post by Andy Velebil »

Beverages and More http://www.bevmo.com is having their buy one bottle, get a second bottle for $0.05. They have the 2000 Delaforce Vintage Port for $35.02 and the 2000 Croft Vintage port for $42.52 (after you factor in the discount)

I think you need to have their bev-mo card (which is free) to get this price. They do ship to any legal state in the USA.

*No affiliation, just a satisfied customer*
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
pgwerner

Post by pgwerner »

Are those good 2000 VPs? Which do you recommend?

I have a BevMo "frequent drinkers" card - maybe I'll pick one of these up.

Peter
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

For $35.00 the Delaforce was a no-brainer for me, so I got 4. The cheapest I found it on Winesearcher was $50.00. I didn't get any of the Croft because I needed to buy some of the Warre's and Smith-Woodhouse LBV's. The 1995 Warre's LBV was on sale for $23.99 The Smith-Woodhouse 1992 LBV is regular price at $25.99.

As for ratings/TN's, I have not had either but Suckling gave the Delaforce an 87 and the Croft an 88 with "best after 2008" for both. PArker gave the Delaforce and the Croft a 90

Check out the tasting section here, Roy gave the Croft a 92 and the Delaforce a 93. From what Roy and Suckling said, the Croft is not a long term keeper and is best consumed earlier rather than later.

So, get the Delaforce 8)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas McColl

Bevmo sale

Post by Thomas McColl »

Hi Andy,

The Delaforce 2000 looked like a good deal to me too, so I got a few bottles, and then I came to here check up on it and saw your post. Well done!

I found this site ( great site!) a couple of days ago when I was looking for info about the bottle that gave me such a headache last week. My fault--it is not fair to blame blame Vista Alegre.

Does anyone else have mixed feelings about buying very young and expensive port, like the 03's? In many ways it seems like a huge vote of optimism for one's own future, which is nice. On the other hand I have been thinking about the money angle and trying to juggle inflation, average stock market returns, predicted declines in the dollar etc., and my general feeling that a casual drinker might do just as well buying older VPs that will be ready to drink sooner, or even wait until there is a general slump to buy. I guess you could make a case either way.. Do the Chinese drink Port?? If they don't yet, I bet they will.

Thomas
Thomas McColl
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Thomas,

Welcome to the site and to the forum.

There are a couple of threads in the forum which run along the exact lines that you have just described. Have a read of the threads titled

Drink to keep up with your cellar
How many of you buy and hold?

and feel free to resurrect them. There is an interesting debate as to whether it is good practice to buy newly released vintages or just to concentrate on older and mature vintages.

Alex
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas,

Welcome to the site. Please don't hesitate to post your questions, there is a great wealth of knowledge here and people who really want to share that knowledge.

I dont know what prices are in Germany, but here in the US the prices of 2000 ports have come down a bit as a lot of stores over bought and are now try to clear inventory. Most 1980's can be had for less than $80.00 (US) which is a good deal for something ready to start drinking now.

However, what price can you put on knowning that the bottles you bought today, and took very good care of for the next 20+ years, are now ready to drink...priceless :!:
Thomas McColl

Post by Thomas McColl »

Thank you both for the nice welcome.

I think that the 80's vintages seem like reasonable value too.

Am going to be in London for a couple of days in May and I will to try to bring a few bottles back. Has anyone tried the 1970 Quinta do Noval?

Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas McColl
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Thomas,

I've not tried the 1970 Noval and I don't recall having seen a tasting note here (but I haven't searched for one).

Suckling has a note in his book and says bottles vary from disappointing to outstanding.

If you travel to London from time to time, its always worth posting here when you plan to visit. There are a few people on the Board who work in London and you might be able to meet up at lunchtime or after work and enjoy some port in company.

Alex
Thomas McColl

Post by Thomas McColl »

Alex,

I did toy with the idea of going to the London Wine and Spirit Fair on its last day to see the Port stands. Registration is free if you have anything at all to do with the industry and I suppose my local would let me use their name to register, but that wouldn't really be appropriate. Perhaps I will ask as a member of the public..if no dice it certainly won't be the end of the world.

Thomas
Thomas McColl
David G.

bevmo not available for me :-(

Post by David G. »

Unfortunately, bevmo's web site claims they don't ship to Texas. I think I could order it and have them hold it for me for my next trip to CA. I appreciate the information.
Last edited by David G. on Tue May 02, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks for posting this Andy. Nice prices!

Thomas,
It is very nice to have you join us here. WELCOME ABOARD. I hope you have signed up for the newsletter. Your English is pretty great, where you born in Germany?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas McColl

Post by Thomas McColl »

Roy,

Thank you for the kind welcome. I have been enjoying the site and your articles. As you guessed I am just working in Germany and am a native English speaker.

The other day I went into a local shop that sells Quinta do Portal wines, and I see that you think highly of the '99 VP, so I would like to ask how soon it will be ready to drink? I am not really set up here for long-term storage.

Many thanks.

Thomas
Thomas McColl