May 2006 Virtual Tasting - 2000 Taylor LBV

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

I saw "dry tannins" mentioned above. I agree. There's also quite a bit of alcohol on the palate / finish. Perhaps I'll pick up another bottle or two to see what happens with one or two more years bottle age. It's not a bad LBV but I think Warre is more my style for LBV's.

Here's my contribution to the virtual tasting:

2000 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Late Bottled Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (5/11/2006)
Dark Concentrated red at the core that slightly fades to cherry red at the rim. The nose is dominated by sweet red fruits of cherry, strawberry, and raspberry with cinnamon and clove in the background and a small amount of alcohol. On the palate there are more red fruits with some prunes and dates. The body is medium weight with a nice soft round mouth feel. Plenty of tannin but it is not harsh and the sweetness is kept in check with just enough acidity. However, the palate is marred by excess alcohol. The finish is persistent but the harsh alcohol from the palate carries over. Overall, a decent LBV but there are better examples of this style out there. 50 + 4 + 11 + 15 + 6 (86 pts.)
John Conwell

Post by John Conwell »

This is my first tasting note. It is also my first time trying the Taylor 2000 LBV.

The color is a very dark ruby or garnet color, all the way to the edge of the glass. It smells plesently slightly sweet, like a blackberry jam, and of something spicy.

It has a fairly strong fruit taste to it, with more of the spicy flavor. It finishes hot on the back of the tongue, but still sweet on the tip.

Over all, with very few LBVs to compare it against, its a very plesent drink. I'm excited to see how it matures over the next few days.
Thanks, John C
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

For various reasons, I had to abandon this wine still sitting in its decanter, for the best part of a week.

I came back to it exactly 1 week after decanting it. I was very surprised to find how well it had held up. In fact, it was better after a week in the decanter than I remember it being before I went away.

The colour had held up well. Still a deep, rich red. Up front fuit on the nose and in the initial taste was very obvious. Much sweeter than before, still dominated by blackcurants and ripe blackberries. The mid-palate still showed nice development - to the extent that my wife ended up telling me not to be so noisy with my slurping as we were watching TV together! More tannins were apparent in the wine that I remember from before. The wine was also more acidic, very slightly unbalanced, but not enough to really spoil the wine. The main disappointment was that the length had gone. This was a very enjoyable wine to drink, but had a short aftertaste. After a week in the decanter, I would have given this wine 88/100.

Alex
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I opened a bottle of the Taylor First Estate NV just as a comparison to the 2000LBV. It does have more fruit and body and backbone than the last bottle of the Taylor 2000 LBV , however, I have kept it in the cellar under the cooling unit at about 56 degrees Farenheit. I have tried it a few days in a row and it is great every time.
I am developing the opinion that 55-60 F degrees is the best temp to drink these ports

I do plan to open another Taylor 2000 LBV for a comparison next week to see why the last bottle wasn't as good as the one before that, i.e. bottle variation?

I am still of the opinion that these are not supposed to be 95 + wines and that they represent good value.

Maybe it is time for someone to step up and post a poll or declare the next virtual tasting for June.
Richard Henderson
John Conwell

Post by John Conwell »

Came back to my 2000LBV two days after opening it. Very odd. There seems to be almost no nose to it. All I can smell is alchohol, with a very slight hint of fruit, but almost none. Very different than when it was first opened.

On first sip, it was very hot, very strong alcohol flavor, and little else. I set the glass asside for 30 minutes and tried it again, and it seems to have calmed down a bit. There is still a strong alcohol bite to it, but the flavor has come back a bit. It tastes of cherries. It stays sweet longer on the top of my tongue than it did when I first opened it, and it seems to have more "body" (for lack of a better term) across the width and back of my tongue.

Over all, its ok, but I much prefered it the day I opened it. I'll try again in two days and see how it has progressed.
Thanks, John C
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Is it just me or is John C Chris Martin from Coldplay's long lost twin brother :?:

Derek
John Conwell

Post by John Conwell »

Came back to the 2000 LVB a week later now. The nose is back again, very much like blackberry jam, and some spices.

The heat has died down a lot, and is pretty smooth now...almost buttery. Its not as sweet as the first night. Mellow and smooth flavor. Very pleasent
Thanks, John C
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

John,

Do you prefer the wine now, or when you just opened it? (Mine didn't last two weeks to make the comparison!)

Alex
John Conwell

Post by John Conwell »

I have to say I thought it was best after 7 days. The flavors seemed to mellow out. It wasnt as sweet, and it wasnt as hot as the first day. The spices seemed to come out a bit more with time.

It just seemed that the all around flavor experience was more rounded out (dont know a better way to explain it). No one aspect really stood out like the first day, but all flavor aspects seemed complement each other.

Let me just add, that the wine was stored in the bottle all week, and not decanted
Thanks, John C
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I opened a second bottle and it is superb. Lots of mint and ripe blackberry
( bramble berry for you UK guys) on the nose. Smooth, silky full mouthfeel. More good , smooth fruit. Nice finish.
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just thought I'd post a quick re-visit to this one. Opened it about 30 minutes ago after a LONG and busy 4 days at work. Still a great QPR bottle of LBV for everyday drinking....allowing my VP's to continue their rest. Glad I got a few more left and will have to get more soon.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
tastingnote

Post by tastingnote »

I did taste the Taylors 2000 LBV after a '77 Taylors so it's a little unfair to write this tasting note.

Stewing strawberries and white chocolate on the nose and a bit of menthol. Palate is a little bit simple. It’s dusty, but has a decent sweetness with light inexpensive jam flavour. Found the finish a little short and boring!

The thing is, I'd bought this for making a gravy for Roast Beef and that totally rocked!