UPDATED: 2006 HARVEST TRIP & ITINERARY

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

UPDATED: 2006 HARVEST TRIP & ITINERARY

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have been working on a 3-day, specially priced harvest trip specifically designed for FTLOP members. I expect due to the close proximity of the folks in the EU countries, that this is the type of trip they'll want to jump on. I listened to your feedback and can tell you that this is going to be as much an "offline" type of tour for 3 days ... with the greatest of harvest/Douro experiences and a few unique Gaia/Oporto visits and tastings that we could ever cram into 3 days.

I can reveal the dates right now, so you can begin planning to join in the fun and this very educational experience. There are a maximum of 14 guest spots in addition to Mario and me. There are going to be some incredible dining and Port experiences with some special guests and I may keep some of the stuff as a surprise.

In the mean time, please reserve the dates. We'll meet in Oporto on Tuesday, October 3rd around 9 a.m. (I suggest everyone arrive the night before, after work on Monday). and we'll finish off our activities on Thursday evening, so you can leisurely depart on Friday and have a full weekend at home to regain your equilibrium. Alternatively, you can skip the one day in Gaia/Oporto and just join us from Wed-Friday of that same week, for the Douro part of the journey. It is up to you!

More details to follow. I hope we'll get to meet a large number of you ladies and gentlemen on this trip and we can promise, you'll never experience PORT in this way ever again!
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

33 views so far and no responses - I'll just have to be the first.

We're all waiting with bated breath for the promised details...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So you want details eh? :D To be honest, I was amazed that nobody had asked. Here are the basics. Since we work directly with the principals of the Port trade and the fact that harvest time offers some challenges ... we won't get too specific on which properties at this time. But you can read the past 3 newsletters, plus the comments on the travel page from folks who did join us, to see what we do deliver. One-of-a-kind, lifetime memory type of trips. Mario and I will ONLY be promoting this 3-day trip here as the price has nothing to do with our normal trips (and at least one other week long trip will follow this one). This IS the exclusive trip that you folks requested, with all the bells and whistles and it is not open to non-FTLOP members or their guests.

Trip 1 – September 27th – 29th (3 days, 3 nights) for FTLOP guests -
• WED: VIP Gaia Lodge tour and exclusive tasting with lunch, Douro boat trip, visit to VinoLogia, wine dinner and Ports, overnight accommodations in Oporto.
• THURS: Breakfast, depart by train for Douro, lunch at a Single Quinta with barrel tasting, picking grapes in the vineyards, VIP Douro wine dinner/Port tasting with foot treading in lagar, overnight accommodations.
• FRI: Early breakfast, visit legendary Quinta and have a wine lunch, VIP tour of vineyards, production facilities and special Port tasting, transportation back to Oporto. Wine dinner and overnight accommodations.
• SAT: check out and departure. Transportation to airport included.
• Price: €uros (for FTLOP members and their invited guests) by email request only.
• Must be a minimum of 10 people for this to work out
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ok, so who is coming with us?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Damn! I'll be starting a new job then!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

As much as I would love to go on a trip like this, I am saving my money to make the full week long trip. Hopefully I will have enough to make the trip later this year.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Excellent. We seem to have some more folks interested in the 3 day trip. I look forward to meeting you folks. Anybody else? The earlier you confirm your spot:

a. the less expensive the airfare you will be able to find
b. we will reserve your spot

Thanks!
idj123

Post by idj123 »

As a new member and being UK based,this sounds interesting,but as with most things,for the majority of us,it will depend on being able to take the time off and cost (for the latter,I assume I need to e-mail you,Roy,for a ball-park figure ?)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ian,

Welcome to the FTLOP Forum. It is nice to have you here with us. No better way to get to know the local Port lovers from the UK, than right here where there are literally dozens.

Anyway, please do email for exact price of the trip and I hope you will join us for this fun trip. Besides all the fun you'd have in Portugal ... the added bonus is making some local Port loving friends.

Enjoy the FORUM and please feel free to post anytime!
bcaln1

Port Trip

Post by bcaln1 »

I'm interested in the Port trip, but would be even MORE interested in the Madeira journey (or how about both?). I would just need cost details on both.

Bruce
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bruce,

Details are on their way. I wish there were more folks from this Forum attending, but so be it. They will get to read about what they missed in a future newsletter.

Bruce, you really should come along on the Port trip, as the Madeira excursion will not be until the Spring of 2007. Additionally, the Port trips this year will be even better than the last year's trip. That is a guarantee!
Doug Zdanivsky

Post by Doug Zdanivsky »

You know I would if I could, Roy.. :)

I think that goes for the majority of the forum members here.. LOL

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime....
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

After some incredible finishing touches that we have put on these trips while here ... I can only say that those who join us will never forget their experiences.

WHAT IF ... since the dates might not work ... we incorporate the 3 day trip dates into the middle of the six day trip? Would this work better for your schedules?

It would also provide a chance to meet some other folks from the FTLOP?

Let me know your thoughts.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

If I am reading this correctly you are suggesting holding the 3 day trip between Wed 4th and Sat 7th October. If so, Jo and I MAY be able to make this. Our problem is likely to be the weekend due to other commitments. Would it be possible to do part of the 3 day trip? I would not want to take someone's place who could make all 3 days but if you have space available Jo and I could perhaps join you from Wednesday to Friday morning.

Let me know if this is possible and what the cost would be per person.

Thanks

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There are two remaining spots open for this year's HARVEST TRIP. They will be held until August 12th.

At that time, no new reservations will be accepted. One week to go.

Email me for the specifics of the trip, including a very detailed itinerary if you are interested, but don't wait.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Here is the itinerary as it stands today. This is for the FTLOP members who will be joining us for 3 days in the Douro as well as the 6 day participants:

The itinerary for THE GREAT 2006 HARVEST TOUR:

On Sunday you will be picked up at the Porto airport and given a brief tour of the area and then taken to a 5* property in downtown Oporto. Take the rest of the day and night to regain your bearings. Then ...

MON.

a. Breakfast at your leisure, but must be ready by 9 a.m. when we'll meet you at the breakfast area. Please DO bring a notebook/pen for TN taking as well as a camera if you so choose. You will most likely not be back to the hotel until after dinner.

b. Sandeman - Tour of Lodge & Museum, tasting of Ports and lunch.

c. Ramos Pinto - VIP Tour and unique, comparative double horizontal tasting.

d. Dinner and just what you all need more of ... Douro wine and Vinho do Porto!

TUES.

a. Breakfast and be ready to depart at 9 a.m.

b. Niepoort Lodge - Private tour of this photo worthy environment and a fine tasting of Ports.

c. Symington visitation @ Graham's Lodge - VIP tour of their extensive Lodge, cellar and gift shop (cool for T shirts/books etc.) and then ... from Roy's Port Dream Warehouse comes a dozen bottles: 1994 VPs vs. 2004 cask samples

e. Barco Rabelo sets sail on the Douro, with us aboard. This should build our appetite for dinner.

f. Introduction to Bacalhau 101. You may have it ten other times on this trip, but never as good as this! Dinner at 7:30 followed by a private Port tasting you will always remember, going WAY back in time.

WED.

a. Breakfast at your own leisure, but must be ready by 8:30 a.m. when we'll meet you at the breakfast area. You'll get to sleep on the train.

b. 250th Anniversary Celebration of the Demarcation of the Douro Region. This is a private symposium we have arranged with the Commission of the 250th .... just for our group! Followed by a fun lunch at AVEPOD.

c. The train to the vineyards: have a camera ready. You'll never forget "your first."

d. Arrive at train station and we'll be whisked away to the Quinta do Crasto. Extensive tour of Vineyards, production facility, Lagares. Tasting of Douro wines with dinner. Crushing grapes in lagares this evening ++

THURS.

a. Breakfast at your own leisure, but must be ready by 9:00 a.m. to take a ride to the Pinhao station for trip up river to the Douro Superior region.

b. Arrive and spend a half day at Quinta de Vargellas with tour/tasting/lunch and much more.

c. Boat ride up river and a swim if warm enough. Arrive at Quinta do Vesuvio. All you need to know is that we'll be spoiled and if there are grapes left to pick ... we'll be in the vineyards and lagares at night, so you will need another pair of shorts and another (or same as previous night) tee shirt to sop up grape juice stains. Dinner will be quite the memorable adventure and one of the finest tastings ever held at this property.

FRIDAY -

a. Breakfast at your own leisure, but must be ready by 9:00 a.m. sharp.

b. Our morning into mid-afternoon will be spent at Quinta do Vale Donna Maria to present the first of two great Single Quinta experiences today. There will be other "participant(s)" at this venue ... so there will be plenty of Douro and Port to carry you through the tour and lunch. Lots of viticultural education to take place here as per specific request. Cristiano and his team will share lots of fantastic insights as well as some unique tasting experiences, to say the least.

c. If that wasn't more fun than you've ever had standing up ... then certainly a night with our lovely hostess at Quinta do Noval will be a highlight for some of you. I'll just leave our plans this evening as a wonderful and unforgettable surprise along with a great home cooked meal. You will get to spend plenty of time in the Nacional vineyard. From there, things only improve! We'll stay at this remarkable single Quinta as long as your stamina is maintained. The wines? Priceless.

d. The trip back to our lodgings is not too long, aspirins advised before bedtime!

SATURDAY -

a. Breakfast at your own leisure, from 8:00 - 9 a.m. when we'll get started no later than 9:30. You WILL need to be FULLY packed with your bags ready to be loaded into our vehicle after breakfast.

b. Quinta do Portal - my choice for "best up and coming Douro property/Port wines" -- will be our first tasting this day with a nice array of Douro and Port wines. Then we'll head onto our last Douro adventure.

c. Explore a great Single Quinta many of you might not know ... but Quinta do Silval makes fine Douro wines and Port. A hair raising ride through the back areas of Roncao will provide one of the most dramatic experiences of the trip. A camera is a must. We'll also have a Port tasting and lunch with Douro wines and a tour of course. One of the most picturesque properties and an amazing place to visit with the owners.

d. We'll drive back down to Porto, take a few hours to rest up and then have the "Last Supper" but please DO make sure you sleep a few hours first!

e. We head to my favorite restaurant in the area. There will probably be more Douro and Port wines than you will want to try at this dinner, but you can pick and choose. But now you can't say you weren't warned! The food is amazing!

SUNDAY -

You thought that the torture would never stop? Well today, after breakfast we'll release you from your "Port passion prison", and will individually whisk you back to the Porto Airport in time to catch your flight.