Any other Port lovers in France?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

AlexR

Any other Port lovers in France?

Post by AlexR »

Hi guys,

I'm an ex-pat American living in Bordeaux who has spent most of his life outside the US.

I was in the wine industry once upon a time, but no longer am (long story).

Suffice it to say that the Internet has opened up a whole new world to me, and I have met many fun and interesting people in forums like this.

France is the largest importer of Port but, as anyone can tell you, we're talking quantity here, not quantity.
Port is almost exclusively drunk as an apértitif in France.

Anyway, to make a long story short, if any member of this forum lives in France or is passing through Bordeaux, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Based in Bordeaux, I also love Port.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

Cheap ruby and tawny Port is the mainstay in France when it comes to Portugal's fortified drink from the Douro. They don't get Vintage Port, and I am talking about the masses, not the occasional geek. Obviously with the likes of Sauternes, Banyuls, Alsatian VT & SGNs, Vin Doux Naturel and many other dessert wines from the Loire to Bordeaux ... VP has little chance of making inroads there.

Glad to have you here on the Forum!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com