What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roger L.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Roger L. »

Case de Santa Eufémia LBV 2009

Really rather nice, and a lot better than some other LBVs I've had at this end of the price scale (I paid 11.38 euros)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1991 Dona Matilde Colheita Port (B 2009)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Quevedo 10 yo Tawny.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

1963 Delaforce to share with a visiting cousin - absolutely delicious.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1966 Fonseca VP
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1997 Niepoort VP, 375. Yes, it had some VA.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

An untainted GC77. Deep and youthful and with a flavour profile quite unlike any other '77.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

When they are good, they are great and rival even bigger names from their own stable as well as the TFP. I've been lucky with GC77 far more often than not. That said, TCA is certainly an issue with that bottling; even when the labels look like new.

[imnewhere.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:When they are good, they are great and rival even bigger names from their own stable as well as the TFP. I've been lucky with GC77 far more often than not. That said, TCA is certainly an issue with that bottling; even when the labels look like new.

[imnewhere.gif]
It's interesting as I am not convinced that this is a "good" port. I tried this alongside Graham and Warre 1977 and not long after also having had Taylor and Fonseca 1977. All but the Gould Campbell are mature and delicious, with plenty of fruit but also that wonderful nutmeg and cinnamon spiciness that I love to find in middle aged port. The spiciness gave an extra layer of complexity and enjoyment.

By contrast the GC was rather monolithic. By now it should be softening and developing that complexity that comes from age, but it hasn't. It's just big, bold, brash and unyielding. Yes there's fruit, but it's fruit with an odd dryness and woodiness to it. The more I drink the untainted GC77 the more I wonder what sort of "grapes" were used in the blend.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:When they are good, they are great and rival even bigger names from their own stable as well as the TFP. I've been lucky with GC77 far more often than not. That said, TCA is certainly an issue with that bottling; even when the labels look like new.

[imnewhere.gif]
It's interesting as I am not convinced that this is a "good" port. I tried this alongside Graham and Warre 1977 and not long after also having had Taylor and Fonseca 1977. All but the Gould Campbell are mature and delicious, with plenty of fruit but also that wonderful nutmeg and cinnamon spiciness that I love to find in middle aged port. The spiciness gave an extra layer of complexity and enjoyment.

By contrast the GC was rather monolithic. By now it should be softening and developing that complexity that comes from age, but it hasn't. It's just big, bold, brash and unyielding. Yes there's fruit, but it's fruit with an odd dryness and woodiness to it. The more I drink the untainted GC77 the more I wonder what sort of "grapes" were used in the blend.
magic grapes [foilhat.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

One of these. Delicious.
2015-02-27 13.49.24.jpg
2015-02-27 13.49.24.jpg (233.39 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

'00 Cockburn Quinta dos Canais

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Roger L.

Post by Roger L. »

1996 Warre - Quinta da Cavadinha VP
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Roger L. wrote:1996 Warre - Quinta da Cavadinha VP
I've not heard much about '96 but have a couple that were left over from a friend moving, how was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Al B.

Post by Al B. »

1985 Churchill. A slight touch of VA, but not enough to spoil an enjoyable glass of port.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:1985 Churchill. A slight touch of VA, but not enough to spoil an enjoyable glass of port.
I opened a 1997 Niepoort VP and there is the same touch of VA. :(
Roger L.

Post by Roger L. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Roger L. wrote:1996 Warre - Quinta da Cavadinha VP
I've not heard much about '96 but have a couple that were left over from a friend moving, how was it?
Well, my notes say...
(86) I've had several Warres, and this, like many of the others, is kind of "goopy" - there's a strong background note of honey, and it feels like you ought to be able to spoon it out of a jar with a honey spoon. Not much change between D+6 and D+30. Some caramel - gentle heat at the back of the throat, and a little more in the stomach. Not very classy - more Vaudeville than Opera, but a decent finish. I can usually, happily, drink a bottle of port at a sitting (with a little help from a friend), but after a glass of this I just don't want any more. Pretty good for the price, but not great by any means.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I opened four Ports for friends during the Vancouver International Wine Festival:

a. 1976 Krohn - was one of two favorites of the group
b. S. Leonardo - 40 year old Tawny was the other. 1/2 prefered this to the Krohn; 1/2 did not.
c. S. Leonardo - 30 year old Tawny was very well received although nobody knew this producer; it was loved by everyone drinking it.
d. 1985 Ferreira - another excellent showing. Was opened on a different night for 1/2 of the same crowd. They really liked this a lot, too.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Last night for a group of my wife's colleagues, after dinner, I shared a botle of 1992 Quinta da Cavadinha Vintage Port. They all loved it.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1976 Krohn last night with Stewart Todd and our wives.