What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scott Esterly

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Scott Esterly »

Happy New Year!
IMG_3490.jpeg
IMG_3490.jpeg (292 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

New Years Eve, San Leonardo 40 year old.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hey, that looks like my New Year's Bottle!
2023-12-31 13.25.51.jpg
2023-12-31 13.25.51.jpg (234.55 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:45 pm Hey, that looks like my New Year's Bottle!
2023-12-31 13.25.51.jpg
This is very weird. I just got my Port shipped to me from storage. I didn't want to tear through all of the boxes looking for the "perfect" Port so I opened my 1994 Vesuvio footlocker and have one standing up.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:58 am
Glenn E. wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:45 pm Hey, that looks like my New Year's Bottle!
2023-12-31 13.25.51.jpg
This is very weird. I just got my Port shipped to me from storage. I didn't want to tear through all of the boxes looking for the "perfect" Port so I opened my 1994 Vesuvio footlocker and have one standing up.
Enjoy, hopefully yours shows as good as both of ours did. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:18 am
John M. wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:06 pm Was figuring out what to have over the Christmas Holiday, could not quite decide then I discovered I have leaker--a 1980 Ferreira. Perfect choice that decided for me!
How was this?
Light brick red -it was a leaker so a little oxidized. A bit light on the density, yet it offered a very subtle delight. Classic Ferreia in that it is not a powerhouse but if you pay attention you get amazed. Strawberry jam, a slightly spice driven yes lingeringly smooth finish--cinnamon of all things. I have another that is not leaking.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1994 Quinta do Vesuvio. Decanted for 12 hours. The cork exploded into a bazillion pieces but the Port is in great shape. Dark purple, no meniscus and it's ever so slightly syrupy. Simply delicious and I suspect it will drink even better tomorrow.

Edit: This bottle has been a revelation. I've had the '94 Vesuvio a few times before and they were anywhere from closed to pretty good, but tonight, I would put it up against probably my favorite Vintage Port of all time, the '66 Fonseca. I don't know how this Port will show tomorrow night, but tonight, this was a world class Port.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:1994 Quinta do Vesuvio. Decanted for 12 hours. The cork exploded into a bazillion pieces but the Port is in great shape. Dark purple, no meniscus and it's ever so slightly syrupy. Simply delicious and I suspect it will drink even better tomorrow.

Edit: This bottle has been a revelation. I've had the '94 Vesuvio a few times before and they were anywhere from closed to pretty good, but tonight, I would put it up against probably my favorite Vintage Port of all time, the '66 Fonseca. I don't know how this Port will show tomorrow night, but tonight, this was a world class Port.
Yeah, you need to use a Durand or Ah-So for any wine cork from the latter 1990’s to the early 2000’s. Otherwise be prepared for a million tiny pieces. No clue what the cork industry did to them back then. They seal fine. But getting them out is messy.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:00 am
Mike J. W. wrote:1994 Quinta do Vesuvio. Decanted for 12 hours. The cork exploded into a bazillion pieces but the Port is in great shape. Dark purple, no meniscus and it's ever so slightly syrupy. Simply delicious and I suspect it will drink even better tomorrow.

Yeah, you need to use a Durand or Ah-So for any wine cork from the latter 1990’s to the early 2000’s. Otherwise be prepared for a million tiny pieces. No clue what the cork industry did to them back then. They seal fine. But getting them out is messy.
I did use an Ah-so, but it was all for naught. Maybe Port Tongs next time. lol
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:53 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:00 am

I did use an Ah-so, but it was all for naught. Maybe Port Tongs next time. lol
That will work for sure! I used a Durand and got mine out in one piece.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:39 pm 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio. Decanted for 12 hours. The cork exploded into a bazillion pieces but the Port is in great shape. Dark purple, no meniscus and
All of the 90's Vesuvio's have brittle corks.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:00 am Yeah, you need to use a Durand or Ah-So for any wine cork from the latter 1990’s to the early 2000’s. Otherwise be prepared for a million tiny pieces. No clue what the cork industry did to them back then. They seal fine. But getting them out is messy.
I haven't experienced this problem with any producer (that I can remember) other that Vesuvio. And even with Vesuvio it seems to be a problem with 1994 more so than other vintages. It does happen with other vintages, but not to the extent of the 1994s where it sometimes seems like they were trying to make a composite cork and forgot to include the glue. I've pulled many corks - like 4+ dozen bottles - from 1987, 1995, and 1997 Porto Souza, and while those can be a little more difficult to extract than a "normal" cork I can usually do it freehand with a waiter's friend. I.e. they usually come out in one piece, or perhaps just lose the last 1/4", with just a normal corkscrew. Can't even come close to that with a 1994 Vesuvio.

But as already noted, it doesn't seem to harm the Port at all. The corks are just really weird. I suppose it may affect their very long-term viability, but I doubt any of mine are going to last for more than another 15-20 years as they're just so delicious!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:00 am Yeah, you need to use a Durand or Ah-So for any wine cork from the latter 1990’s to the early 2000’s. Otherwise be prepared for a million tiny pieces. No clue what the cork industry did to them back then. They seal fine. But getting them out is messy.
I haven't experienced this problem with any producer (that I can remember) other that Vesuvio. And even with Vesuvio it seems to be a problem with 1994 more so than other vintages. It does happen with other vintages, but not to the extent of the 1994s where it sometimes seems like they were trying to make a composite cork and forgot to include the glue. I've pulled many corks - like 4+ dozen bottles - from 1987, 1995, and 1997 Porto Souza, and while those can be a little more difficult to extract than a "normal" cork I can usually do it freehand with a waiter's friend. I.e. they usually come out in one piece, or perhaps just lose the last 1/4", with just a normal corkscrew. Can't even come close to that with a 1994 Vesuvio.

But as already noted, it doesn't seem to harm the Port at all. The corks are just really weird. I suppose it may affect their very long-term viability, but I doubt any of mine are going to last for more than another 15-20 years as they're just so delicious!
It is a very well known issue in the wine trade. Lots of table wines have the same cork issues. It’s not just port related.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:00 pm It is a very well known issue in the wine trade. Lots of table wines have the same cork issues. It’s not just port related.
I've seen this on several vintages of Musar.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1994 Graham's. I've decided to check in on the '94's as I'll be have a tasting with my college buddies in September down at the shore.

Decanted 10 hours, the '94 Graham's is very good but pales in comparison to the '94 Vesuvio that I finished over the last 3 days. Let's see how this one is tomorrow.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

S. Leonardo 10 years white.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

And today with friends Taylor’s 10yo Tawny and Heritage’s 30yo Tawny, plus the balance of yesterdays S. Leonardo’s, by far our favourite!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1977 Gould Campbell, magnum
1968 Taylor "Very Old Single Harvest Port"
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:24 am 1977 Gould Campbell, magnum
1968 Taylor "Very Old Single Harvest Port"
Wow Eric, you are starting of 2024 with a bang.

I’ve only opened a Smith Woodhouse 2004 LBV this year.