What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Eric Menchen »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Warres '80s LBVs seem to pop up surprisingly often in tasting notes (both here and on TFP) and in my perusal of auctions. Did Warres just make a ton of LBV in '84 and '86, or did they do a late release or did people just have an amazingly well coordinated effort to hang on to them?
I don't know about '84 and '86, but SFE generally hold back Warres and Smith Woodhouse LBVs for later release. So that immediately means that older ones are the ones being consumed, and I think it has a second effect of suggesting that they are age worthy, so people then hold on to them for a little longer. I always open my Dow LBVs pretty soon after purchase, but I have a bunch of older Warres and SW LBVs in the cellar.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

FinalIy Friday.
Just to experience how a Tawny Port with age develops in the bottle, I had to open a very Nice Niepoort 30Y, bottled in 1978.

I still have another bottle, If anybody wants to visit me ? [cheers.gif]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.14 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

Ferreira 20 Year Old Tawny
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yet another 1976 Krohn Colheita ... note to self, keep thy hands off them. That's 4 bottles so far this year. Too good, but can't sustain this pace. [dash1.gif]

Also a lovely 1970 Taylor Vintage Port that I had our guest open with a Port tongs. It was his birth year and he kept the empty. He nor his wife had ever tried a Port this old. Better the next afternoon than the night it was opened and decanted.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Yet another 1976 Krohn Colheita ... note to self, keep thy hands off them. That's 4 bottles so far this year. Too good, but can't sustain this pace.
How much can be left? Unless it comes out under the Taylor's label. :munch:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I still have 4, I think. Got em so I'd have properly labeled bottles. :)
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have seven left in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I haven't exactly opened it yet, but tomorrow I will decant a magnum of 1982 Sandeman VP. It's drinking very nicely from mag at the moment and time to drink up. Dinner with some fellow wine friends is the perfect excuse.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

A bottle of Morgan's 1991 vintage port. Still a delicious port.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Warres '80s LBVs seem to pop up surprisingly often in tasting notes (both here and on TFP) and in my perusal of auctions. Did Warres just make a ton of LBV in '84 and '86, or did they do a late release or did people just have an amazingly well coordinated effort to hang on to them?
A parcel of about 150 cases of 1980s Warre and Smith Woodhouse LBVs came on the market in the UK about 5 years ago. Most were bought by the TPF crew and we've been enjoying them ever since. We managed to get some 1981, 1982, 1984 and 1986 vintages. They are really tasty and were very good value for money.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Al B. wrote:
A parcel of about 150 cases of 1980s Warre and Smith Woodhouse LBVs came on the market in the UK about 5 years ago. Most were bought by the TPF crew and we've been enjoying them ever since. We managed to get some 1981, 1982, 1984 and 1986 vintages. They are really tasty and were very good value for money.
That would probably explain why I seem to see them mentioned so often!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Glenn E. wrote:I still have 4, I think. Got em so I'd have properly labeled bottles. :)
The inventory shows that I have 20 bottles left... and one to pick up at Premier Cru. :-)
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I opened a bottle of Croft 1991 for home drinking sadly, it was tainted with TCA so i poured it away and opened a thoroughly enjoyable Malvedos 1986.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:I opened a bottle of Croft 1991 for home drinking sadly, it was tainted with TCA so i poured it away and opened a thoroughly enjoyable Malvedos 1986.
I've also got the later on death row for sometime later this year.

Last night was a 2008 Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas VP. Note posted
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Al B. wrote:I opened a bottle of Croft 1991 for home drinking sadly, it was tainted with TCA
OH no! This is usually such a superb wine.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

A 1994 Delaforce Colheita that was bottled in 2002. 8 years in wood, 13 years in bottle. Really interesting! I'll try to get a TN posted later today.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1964 Krohn's "Branco" Colheita (b. 2007). will get a TN up very soon.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

David Spriggs wrote:
Al B. wrote:I opened a bottle of Croft 1991 for home drinking sadly, it was tainted with TCA
It was my only bottle, bought because of the reputation it has here. I don't think I'll buy any more.
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Al B. wrote:
David Spriggs wrote:
It was my only bottle, bought because of the reputation it has here. I don't think I'll buy any more.
I bought a case of 1991 Croft at auction about 2 months ago. When it arrived all bottles showed old slight signs of seepage. This was not noted in the lot description. Arrrg! I was going to complain and return it, but decided to try a bottle. On pop and pour it was a bit more closed than perfect bottles that I've had. The next day spectacular! This is a wonderful Port. The next time we get together I will bring one! [friends.gif] [cheers.gif]
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Al B. wrote:
David Spriggs wrote:
interesting. This one has been on my "want to try again" list for a long time, given its reputation and Croft being high on my list of favourite shippers. I've only had it once before, at one of the first TPF tastings I attended back in 2011; at the time I wasn't impressed with that bottle, but looking back at my tasting note I can see that it was just too immature at the time for my taste. Oddly it doesn't seem to be a bottle that comes around very often.