Pouch for port storage

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

randomguy

Pouch for port storage

Post by randomguy »

Hey,

You know how these days there are wines that come in pouches or boxes? They stay fresh for a really long time because you can let wine out of the pouch without air getting in. Is there a place that sells such pouches for cheap? One thing I am worried about is the plastic taste getting into the wine. I suppose one option would be to buy one of these "wine in a box"'s, power it down, and then refill the container. I know there are these "replace wine with nitrogen" systems, but they look too complicated and expensive.

Thanks
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan,

I haven't seen a wine pouch/box that could be re-filled. I think these must be packed under vaccum conditions which is why they colapse when you pour out the wine as there is no air inside the pouch to fill the available space.

Maybe Roy can persuade the Symingtons to start shipping their LBV's and Aged tawny's in 5 litre boxes :D - this obvioulsy wouldn't work for VP as the wine wouldn't develop properly without some air contact inside the container and through a cork.

Derek
Xeroid

Post by Xeroid »

Over here in NZ we call the wines that come in the box in plastic sacs
"Chateau du Cardboard"

Me, I'm not even happy with screw caps on bottles yet....
Life is too short to eat/drink/do bad stuff ...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I don't go for Bag-In-The-Box wines and especially not Port. But I can highly recommend the following that works like a charm, although I hope nobody else tries this:

My wife is in the medical field and come January when it is rainy for weeks on end here in Seattle, she assists me with my annual Port fix that keeps me sated throughout the month. She has rigged up this very simple but effective IV unit to my arm, which allows me to ingest quantities of my favorite Port "directly" and although it does not quite taste the same, it keeps me very sedate. You can always tell from my Port recommendation in the February FTLOP newsletter, which particular Port I had chosen the previous month. I usually do the tasting note, when my liver is returned from the dry cleaners and have a sip out of a glass.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

:oops: Sorry Roy but I have to correct you on your medical terminology
To ingest means to take per oral, (by mouth) what you want it to say was infuse (intravenously) :idea: maybe one day I can join you in a infusion of a VP on a rainy day
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You are correct of course, but having worked in restaurants most of my life, I think of infused as being a flavor enhancement by the incorporation of an ingredient into a sauce, dressing, oil or dessert preparation. Thanks for the correction.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com