Event: TN Forum Challenge - 2 mos., 685 and counting!

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Event: TN Forum Challenge - 2 mos., 685 and counting!

Post by Roy Hersh »

I know that all of you have tons of tasting notes stored up from your Port tastings, visits to Portugal and offlines from over the year(s). I know it can be a total PITA to write them up, no less to post them here.

Here's the challenge:

Today is November 1st and there are 60 days left in 2010. There are 4,315 TNs here in this part of the Forum (I am not talking about the TNDB, just THIS particular area of :ftlop: 's Forum).

If by the end of the year we have an average of 11.4 TNs added per day, we will reach 5,000 TNs. This should be rather easy to achieve, but why bother?

If you do post your TNs and we do achieve the goal of 5,000 TNs by the end of the year, I will organize a 2011 FTLOP Port gala and the 5 individuals who post the most TNs will be guaranteed to be included in the guest list. Those who currently are working for FTLOP don't count as I know that in 5 minutes David could add 300 here with a blink of the eye that have already appeared in his two recent articles. In fact, the person who posts the largest number of TNs (only if we achieve the 5k goal though) will be flown out to wherever in the USA we hold the next Gala in the USA, at my expense. These must be brand new TNs that have not appeared anywhere else online (not CT, Squires, Garr, TPF, Berserkers etc.). If the person is from overseas, I will pick up the tab instead, for your hotel stay during the course of the 3-day Gala event.

Please note that comments on TNs that add to the post count ... are not included. These must be purely 685 tasting notes above and beyond commentary/replies by others.

Let the games begin!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Re: TN Forum Challenge - 2 mos., 685 and counting!

Post by Rune EG »

Hi Roy!

Very interesting, and I am sure that the 5,000 will be reached well in advance of Christmas.
FTLOP Port gala in the U.S. sounds tempting to attend (even when paying).

Interesting to follow the developments, so I suggest that you give us a status f.ex. at each Monday morning (as I guess a major part of such work will be done by the FTLOP-members during weekends) with Tasting Notes filed last week and how much left to reach 5,000.

For sake of good order - I understand the tasting notes be Ports only, and not including Douro wines or Madeira?

Rune EG
Michael Hann

Post by Michael Hann »

I have a question of procedure. When one re-tastes a Port should they update their first tasting note or create a new tasting note. I'm planning to revisit Graham's 2003 LBV soon as well as Taylor's 20 year old tawny, both of which I have posted tasting notes on in the past. New note or add a new posting to the thread of the original note or simply edit my original tasting note and extend with any further comments based on the second experience?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Michael Hann wrote:I have a question of procedure. When one re-tastes a Port should they update their first tasting note or create a new tasting note. I'm planning to revisit Graham's 2003 LBV soon as well as Taylor's 20 year old tawny, both of which I have posted tasting notes on in the past. New note or add a new posting to the thread of the original note or simply edit my original tasting note and extend with any further comments based on the second experience?
If you open a second bottle, start a new thread. Each bottle is a different TN because there can be a significant amount of bottle variation.

If you're going back to the same bottle, personally I'd just post a follow-up to the original TN and indicate how much time has passed. But I don't know what Roy would prefer for purposes of this challenge.
Glenn Elliott
Michael Hann

Post by Michael Hann »

Glenn:

These would be different bottles of the same Port.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Then start a new thread. That way they'll both show up in the TN database!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

100% agree w/ Glenn.

a. New bottle new note.
b. 2nd tasting of a bottle opened a week or two ago ... please incorporate it into the initial TN thread.

Rune,

Yes, Port TNs only. I will give updates but can't promise exactly when or how often. I have a lot of travel in front of me between now and the end of the year. Getting two more newsletters completed is my #1 priority during the rest of 2010 and hopefully getting some participants to join us for the February tour too.

But there will be updates ... which will appear in THIS thread.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Markus D.

Post by Markus D. »

Great idea Roy. I have a ton of TNs I've been meaning to type up, a little encouragement helps ;)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Given how few TNs have been entered since the "challenge" began, it would take a tidal wave of TN action to reach the target now. Not impossible, but certainly not likely. [shrug.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I have a ton to add all by myself... it's just a matter of sitting down to do it! I do plan to get them all entered, though. :mrgreen:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've been pretty good about entering mine when I take them, so I don't have any backlog to run up the numbers. Sorry.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

UPDATE: as of today, there have been 59 TNs entered in the first half of this month. That only leaves 626 to go! [cheers.gif]
Jeremy E

Post by Jeremy E »

I may have to pick up a couple more bottles today! [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

9 yesterday, 18 today... and I still have 80-some to go! It's going to be a busy week of posting for me...
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

UPDATE: as of today, there have been an additional 135 TNs, (added to the previous batch of 59 TNs) entered in the first half of this month. That only leaves 491 to go!

That no longer seems insurmountable ... but Glenn and Andy can not do it all alone. [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

There's 10 more for you! Just posted my notes from lunch at DOC and then our visit to Quinta de la Rosa. Fun times!

So if I post my TN for Oscar's 2010 grape juice, does that count? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

OK, so we fell a little bit short, but I appreciate everyone's efforts! [notworthy.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Whew! Barely managed to catch up. Well, almost... I have 13 more to post, but they're waiting for your article to come out first. :wink:

So how close did we get?
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'll wait until tonight is over and even count in Ports from NYE that may be posted over the next several days before coming up with a final number. [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]