Help needed finding a particular Portuguese Syrah

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

Help needed finding a particular Portuguese Syrah

Post by Jay Hack »

About 8 years ago, my wife and I attended a tasting sponsored by a wine shop in Westchester and one of the wines was a Portuguese Syrah with a pronounced, and rather profound, soft white pepper nose and flavor component. She loved the wine; we bought a few bottles; and they are long gone. She keeps asking for more of the wine but staff turnover at the wine shop means that no one there now can remember the wine. All I recall about it was that the label was not the normal shape - it was a long thin label like you see on Kracher bottles. I think they had a few other wines besides the syrah and they all had similar labels. The price in the early 2000s was in the low teens. I have flipped through Portuguese Syrah labels on Cellartracker but I can't find it. Any ideas?
Thanks Roy
Daniel R.

Re: Help needed finding a particular Portuguese Syrah

Post by Daniel R. »

cortes de cima?
quinta do valdoeiro?
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

Daniel R. wrote:cortes de cima?
quinta do valdoeiro?
Thanks but no. I looked at the labels on CT. Too fat. Thin label, tall, mostly text. I do not think there was any artwork.
Thanks Roy
Pedro Guimaraes

Post by Pedro Guimaraes »

Jay,

I believe it was Herdade do Esporao Syrah (the old label) from Alentejo...or Casa Santos Lima Syrah from Estremadura (now Lisbon). The Alentejo wine is usually the better of these two! Good luck with the hunt :-)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay,

Forget about that old Syrah bottling. Check out the new and easy to find gorgeous Syrah made by Qta do Noval, which is called Labrador. Great juice AND it is from the Douro.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Jay,

Forget about that old Syrah bottling. Check out the new and easy to find gorgeous Syrah made by Qta do Noval, which is called Labrador. Great juice AND it is from the Douro.
No kidding, I've had these a couple times and have been impressed.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com