Mmm...I love my port and...?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am familiar with the pricing of the Serra here in the USA and believe much of that has to do with the greed of importers/retailers on this side of the supply chain, sadly. I have never heard of nor had the other cheese you mentioned but will seek it out when next in Portugal to learn of the difference in the smaller version. Thank you Eric!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Whilst I am not averse to the pleasures of exotic cheeses, I have never quite reconciled the logic of their association with good port..

..OK, I'll get my coat.. :D

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Tom,

I also have my coat on ready to leave the building :?

Whilst I can somethimes enjoy a simple hard cheese (Emental does it for me) with a glass of crap port I have never been able to see the logic in putting a strong taste in my mouth before sipping a good quality VP.

Derek
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

Let me join you. I think the reason port and cheese have been paired up in most people's minds (in the UK at least) is because they are both usually served towards the end of a meal and one tends to end up with both in front of you. There is an association therefore by default rather than by culianary compatability.

To avoid this potential mismatch, I'm all in favour of following the French habit of serving cheese earlier in the meal and am working on developing a new custom... of serving port anytime! :D
John Conwell
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by John Conwell »

hmmm...I think the reason i like port and blue cheese is because (to me) its just yummy together! :-)
Thanks, John C
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Philip,

A couple of years ago, I created quite a stir on the Robert Parker/Mark Squires BB, stating that I'd be pouring Port including aged Vintage Port at the beginning of the meal at upcoming tasting group sessions. There was a lot of commentary on doing this ... the vast majority telling me I was nuts. My post was mostly tongue in cheek and somewhat in response to those who had a separate thread going, mentioning that by the end of most wine tastings or dinners ... their palates were shot and the last thing they needed was high alcohol Port before they got in their cars to drive. I certainly understand where they are coming from (although I don't suffer from the same "problem" 8) ). I did begin each of my tasting groups with a Vintage Port the next time we met; much to their surprise and for some, chagrin.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com