LBV: Does anyone disagree?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

LBV: Does anyone disagree?

Post by Roy Hersh »

In my recent article on LBV that is awaiting publication by a wine mag, one of my conclusions was that LBV Port is nearly always better on day 2 and day 3, compared to the initial cork pop day (or T-stopper removal). But that is just my opinion and may not reflect yours. :scholar:

Agree or disagree? Discuss. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: LBV: Does anyone disagree?

Post by Moses Botbol »

I don't think you are breaking any new ground on that statement.

I haven't had any old LBV's on day two or three, but how long should one hold onto an LBV is another discussion.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Oh I don't know... my favorite (easy to find) LBV - the 2003 Taylor - is great right away. I think it holds up fine on day 2 and day 3, but I wouldn't say it is better. Perhaps that's because it's filtered?

Can't wait to see the article!
Glenn Elliott
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

I'd have to say that traditional lbv's are more likely to improve after being opened. The Dow 2003 LBV, however, that I posted a few days ago on the TN board, is a definite exception--it really popped out the second day, with beautiful, deep, and expressive fruit not evident the first day. This one was not double decanted, however, which is my usual practice for LBVs.

The 2003 Taylor LBV that it was tasted against, was virtually the same the second and third day.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes, I typically find most bottles, even Special Reserve level bottles, seem to show better on day two.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

That's been my experience. I learned it here and have tested it numerous times. Pop N Pour often leads to much poorer results than 4 hour decant/opening of the bottle and 24 hours seems to be even better.
Any Port in a storm!
Espen S.

Post by Espen S. »

Day two is always the best in my experience. I find LBV's very closed and spirity when not decanted.
very imPORTant person
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Agree with everyone else, a day or two shows improvement.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I would have to look back at a list of my TNs, but I have on occasion, had LBVs that have outperformed on day one... However, this seems to be more an exception rather than a rule.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think what is least attractive about a freshly opened bottle of LBV is the spirity character that typically appears, even with the best of 'em ... and it often times translates to some heat on the palate as well. Whereas on day 2 and 3, it usually blows off from the aromatics and gives a cleaner sense to the nose and is often times far more pleasant to drink too, sometimes even gaining a bit of round/smooth qualities as it oxidizes just a bit.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I had this same experience with a 2003 Taylor LBV. Just after popping the cork, it was very sweet and lacked any depth. I had a glass or two over the course of 2-3 hours and was not impressed. I recorked the bottle, put in in the fridge and came back the next day. I poured another glass and let it sit out for a few hours to warm and air and it was much better. The overwhelming sweetness has been replaced by some fruity complexity that was rather nice. That bottle didn't make it to a 3rd day...

Eric
Joe Chan

Post by Joe Chan »

Newbie here with a basic question. Once I open a LBV, how long does it stay good? I know tawny is good for a long while, and VP should be finished in a couple of days. But I'm unsure of LBV. Also, once I open a LBV, should I keep in the fridge? Should I use a wine pump?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Joe Chan wrote:Newbie here with a basic question. Once I open a LBV, how long does it stay good? I know tawny is good for a long while, and VP should be finished in a couple of days. But I'm unsure of LBV.
An LBV will typically last a little longer than a VP. I've had bottles open on the kitchen counter for a week before without any significant drop in quality. They generally don't last any longer than that in my house, though, so I can't say for sure how long they might last if you didn't drink 'em. :lol:
Joe Chan wrote:Also, once I open a LBV, should I keep in the fridge? Should I use a wine pump?
If you keep it in the fridge it will last longer, but you'll have to warm up your glass before you drink it. Cold (fridge temp) Ports lose a lot of their aromas and a good portion of their flavors, so you should let them warm up to at least 60 degrees before you drink them for the best experience. I keep my wine fridges at 55 degrees and won't even drink a bottle straight out of them because they're too cold. The typical household refrigerator is probably in the 40-45 range.

As far as wine pumps are concerned, general concensus is that they don't do anything. There's still air in the bottle, so the wine is still oxidizing. You might slow it down a tiny bit by pumping out some of the air, but you're really not accomplishing much. Save your money and buy another bottle of Port. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Joe Chan

Post by Joe Chan »

Alright, that was a silly question. I just opened up the Dow 2003 LBV after dinner, and my wife and I finished half the bottle easily. I think it'll be gone after tomorrow's dinner.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Joe Chan wrote:Newbie here with a basic question. Once I open a LBV, how long does it stay good? I know tawny is good for a long while, and VP should be finished in a couple of days. But I'm unsure of LBV. Also, once I open a LBV, should I keep in the fridge? Should I use a wine pump?
I would say it depends on the LBV. A younger filtered one should do ok up to about week without major deterioration. An older unfiltered (or Traditional) LBV should be treated like an older VP, in that you should drink it within 2-3 days for it to be at its best.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

For me I also think (to my taste) the second and third day after opening the bottle are the best days to drink a LBV. But as I'm the only one in the house drinking port I finish a bottle in about a week time. I always keep them in the fridge and pour a glass about an hour before drinking it. Never had a bottle that didn't drink well anymore after 6 or 7 days! Even while I prefer unfiltered ones.

[cheers.gif] Monique.