1999 Casa Ferreirinha Callabriga -- (Ferreira)

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

1999 Casa Ferreirinha Callabriga -- (Ferreira)

Post by Roy Hersh »

1999 Casa Ferreirinha (Ferreira) Callabriga, Douro Red - I first tasted this after some Barolo and a pair of Amarone wines and it was a rough adjustment. Two sips later, all was well. It was clear this needed some time in decanter and we then served it along with dinner and the other wines. It paired extremely well with the Osso Bucco our friends had prepared.

There was a smoky note along with cherry pipe tobacco and cedar which were made even more exotic by the meat we were eating. Big, smooth and sumptuous plum and dark red berry flavors prevailed along with a slight hint of pepper that was evident on the very long, succulent finish. A classy wine that still is showing some rounded tannins and this is nearing its peak drinking window. I believe this is made at Quinta da Leda, which is the top Douro red wine facility owned by Ferreira these days. The grapes include Tinta Roriz and both Tourigas -- Franca & Nacional. Enjoy this beauty now or over the next five years. I am going to save my last bottle of this for the end of the decade with a great leg of lamb dinner! 91 points (5/28/06)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com