Decanter reaction?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nicholas

Decanter reaction?

Post by Nicholas »

For many years, my father had a decanter that was used by his great grandfather. Thirty years later, the decanter had never been used. So we decided to drag it out and use it on my 18th birthday (Taylor's 1984 port as I mentioned in my previous thread).

When we investigated the decanter, it was in a horrible state. There was rust at the bottom, very misty and covered in dust.

The solution we decided to do was, to clean it thoroughly, with soap and water. Afterwards, we sterilised the decanter many times and left it for a few days. Then we gave it a good brush in hot water.

After I poured my Taylor's port into the decanter, I had noticed over a period of time, the decanter starts to show a misty, some sort of blured reaction. Definitely in the inside of the decanter. Although, when I stir the port inside, it disappears for a while and then returns. Is it normal, or a cause for concern?

Here's a picture, althought it is not very clear, but you get some idea:

What do you reckon?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Nicholas,

I'm not sure what is causing this but by the sounds of it there is obviously something sticking to the inside of the glass. Decanters are extremely difficult to clean when they get in a bad state.

I can understand the sentimental value of this decanter but, if you are serious about your port, I would suggest that you place this one on a shelf and go buy yourself a new one to use.

Derek
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yes, probably a good bet. I've tried all methods to see if it will be any better, but no avail.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I sometimes get this effect on the inside of some old glasses that I still use. It seems to be the glass itself, rather than anything sticking to it - presumably some form of chemical reaction to the cleaning agents used in a dishwasher.

One of my decanters was given to me by my father many years ago and it was in a state very similar to the way you describe yours. I cleaned mine out using steradent (which is a cleaning agent for false teeth), hot water and a bottle brush.

After rinisng the decanter many times in cold water, I emptied a bottle of ruby port into it and left it to stand for a week.

After that, I rinsed it out again and it has been used ever since for most of the port that I drink.

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

bridgema wrote:I sometimes get this effect on the inside of some old glasses that I still use. It seems to be the glass itself, rather than anything sticking to it - presumably some form of chemical reaction to the cleaning agents used in a dishwasher.

One of my decanters was given to me by my father many years ago and it was in a state very similar to they way you describe yours. I cleaned mine out using steradent (which is a cleaning agent for false teeth), hot water and a bottle brush.

After rinisng the decanter many times in cold water, I emptied a bottle of ruby port into it and left it to stand for a week.

After that, I rinsed it out again and it has been used ever since for most of the port that I drink.

Alex
That is exactly the method I used, steradent. I literally put all the tablets and left it for over a week. I haven't yet tried the ruby port method, sounds a rather severe waste!. I don't think I could that.

Do you still occasionally get the mist? Or is it now clear?

I don't think it bothers too much now as it doesn't effect the port itself, just the appearance.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

That is exactly the method I used, steradent. I literally put all the tablets and left it for over a week.
Nicholas,

First welcome to the forum. I may hazard a guess that leaving that many tablets in the decanter for a week may have been a bad thing and caused it to bind to the side of the glass. Try something like a calcium remover that is very diluted with water to see if that removes the white haze. Just remember to rinse the inside very well to remove any residue that may be left behind. Then use the cheap ruby as a last final rinse. Can't be too safe.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Nicolas

I think Andy's suggestion to try a calcium remover is a good one - try a dilute white wine vinegar or diluted distilled malt vinegar. These might work.

The other thought that I had was that I only leave the Steradent in my decanter for 2-3 hours when I use this method, and I only use 1-2 tablets for each clean. I have no idea what is in the tablets, but it could be that this is what has caused the glass to become cloudy. From the way you describe it, it sounds as though it is something to do with the surface of the glass of the decanter, and something you only see when the surface is dry.

If it doesn't spoil the taste of the port, it sounds like it is nothing to worry about!

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Nicholas,

I was delighted to read in your other thread that you had washed those old tights - the alternative was too horrible to contemplate :shock: However, this is another reason not to use them as the fabric was more than likely coated with detergents and fabric softner, both of which would have ended up in your VP.

I see from the picture above that your decanter is probably made of lead crystal. If you search through some other decanter related threads on this Forum you will see that some of our friends in the USA have suggested that extended decanting in such a vessel in likely to cause the lead to be absorbed by the wine and subsequently end up in your bloodstream. :?

Given your low intake and young age it might be better for you not to take any risks with this. Again, I would recommend that you buy a new decanter, preferrably made of clear, uncut glass. Not because of the paranoid rubbish about lead poisoning, just so that you can see the beautiful colour of the VP you pour into it 8)

Derek
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Derek Turnbull wrote:Nicholas,

I was delighted to read in your other thread that you had washed those old tights - the alternative was too horrible to contemplate :shock: However, this is another reason not to use them as the fabric was more than likely coated with detergents and fabric softner, both of which would have ended up in your VP.

I see from the picture above that your decanter is probably made of lead crystal. If you search through some other decanter related threads on this Forum you will see that some of our friends in the USA have suggested that extended decanting in such a vessel in likely to cause the lead to be absorbed by the wine and subsequently end up in your bloodstream. :?

Given your low intake and young age it might be better for you not to take any risks with this. Again, I would recommend that you buy a new decanter, preferrably made of clear, uncut glass. Not because of the paranoid rubbish about lead poisoning, just so that you can see the beautiful colour of the VP you pour into it 8)

Derek
Doesn't sound too good to me. I guess, it would be a good idea to buy another one and use the late sentimental value as an ornament.

I am having trouble finding an online site that sells a range of Tawny ports. Do you know of any? Excuse my slight off-topic question.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Nicholas,

Where are you? - can I suggest that you go back to your profile on this site and complete the remaining fields - your location will then appear with your name when you make a posting.

If you are ever looking for any wine a good place to start is http://www.wine-searcher.com - very easy to use and covers a huge range of merchants across the world.

Derek
Julian old_ac Wiseman

Post by Julian old_ac Wiseman »

When I buy an old decanter I fill it with bleach and let it stand, which removes the darkness caused by wine having dried into tiny cracks. (Rinse extremely thoroughly!) Doesn't remove the mist though.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Derek, you should be able to see it now. I've done a quick search under the keywords of ''Tawny and NV''. To my amazement, a rather colossal search came up displaying all ranges of Twany.

The trouble is, I am great difficulty in choosing a good Tawny bottle. The price around £45 would be my maximum for trying Tawny for the first time.

jdaw1, the decanter is definitely clean, but the mist is something that looks like a permanent stain. Now, I shall consider buying a fresh one instead.
Last edited by Nicholas on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nicholas,

Some good 10 yr tawny's are Neipoort and Quinta do Noval. I'm not sure what the prices are in your area though. But, I recommened trying anything you can get your hands on to start with. Everybody's tastes are different and you can only find things you like by trying as much as you can and making that determination for yourself. Sometimes that pays off with an unexpected good discovery and sometimes you lose with a bottle you don't like.

What ever you chose, be sure to let us know how you liked or disliked it. Happy hunting 8)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Nicholas,

I see you are in the UK. Go to your local Somerfield, Sainsbury or Tesco supermarket and buy 1 bottle of each tawny and LBV they have on the shelf. You will probably spend £45 in each store but you will have 9 to 12 different bottles to try.

Without wanting to sound patronising, you don't have enough experience of port drinking to be spending £45 on a single bottle. You will learn far more about the different styles of port and your own taste buds if you experiment at the lower end of the scale first. If you are lucky enough to be ina position to spend £45 each time you want to taste port then buy 4 bottles at £8-£12 and open them all at the same time. You can then sip each of these together and learn the difference between the different styles and houses. Most of all, have lots of fun doing it and post your findings back here 8)