Another viewpoint on Scion

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Dorene H.

Another viewpoint on Scion

Post by Dorene H. »

Jeff G.

Re: Another viewpoint on Scion

Post by Jeff G. »

Perhaps I missed the sarcasm or the wittiness of the article, but it's a bit pretentious of the author to pan the stupid rich with too much money as misguided and not understanding the ambrosia, which is the wine we all enjoy, only to attend a tasting of a bottle that costs north of 2k$.

I can think of a few things about the author and the article, but a good read is not one of them.
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

But Jeff, how do you really feel? :oops:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Actually,

even if I can't afford the Scion, I think it is a great deal...considering the age, the period it is from etc...
Just compare to the 50-year old Glenfiddich at $23,000-$26,000 (!) CAD per 700ml , that is insane. I mean 50 years is nothing for a spirit, yes it evaporates more than wine but still the Scion is a bargain simply because it can't be reproduced and we won't see something like that again, those vines just don't exist. But 50 year old scotch is certainly possible, I'm sure there is plenty of 25-year old currently in oak, you just have to wait 25-years more.

enough said.
/Paul
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Paul_B wrote:Actually,

even if I can't afford the Scion, I think it is a great deal...considering the age, the period it is from etc...
Just compare to the 50-year old Glenfiddich at $23,000-$26,000 (!) CAD per 700ml , that is insane. I mean 50 years is nothing for a spirit, yes it evaporates more than wine but still the Scion is a bargain simply because it can't be reproduced and we won't see something like that again, those vines just don't exist. But 50 year old scotch is certainly possible, I'm sure there is plenty of 25-year old currently in oak, you just have to wait 25-years more.

enough said.
/Paul
Sounds like the old cognac that comes to auction must be a giveaway then!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

155 year old Colheitas don't make a new appearance everyday.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

As much as I love cognac, in bottle with age, my understanding is that the taste shouldn't really change that much.

Port, like wine will evolve.

I'd be pretty ecstatic to try a bottle of the scion.
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY