Biggest Port Disappointment You've Purchased?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I hate starting a thread with a "negative" but this typically is something we can all relate to.

Whether high hopes, or expectations of a high priced bottle showing brilliance, or buying something as a bargain, we've all wound up with a bottle that stands out (maybe several bottles) as huge disappointments.

What is yours and what were the circumstances?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Re: Biggest Port Disappointment You've Purchased?

Post by Marc J. »

The biggest Port disappointment in the recent past would probably be some 1972 Offley that I purchased a few months ago. I wasn't expensive, but there were absolutely zero redeeming qualities to this Port. None. Not one. I was expecting a rather one dimensional Port that was a bit past its peak - those lofty expectations weren't even met (not even close.) Oh well, live and learn...
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

1977 Croft. just simply was past its prime...was the first 70''s bottle I had ever opened.
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

That's an easy one - a bottle of 1970 Burmester VP that I bought a few years ago. I know that Burmester isn't necessarily known for their VPs, but I expected at least a pleasant, fully mature port and it turned out to be way over the hill and barely drinkable. If I hadn't spend such a nice chunk of change on it I probably would have poured most of it down the drain.

That being said, I think it's pretty remarkable how rarely I've been disappointed in my port purchases over the years. As far as the great wines of the world go, I still don't think there's a better overall price/quality ratio out there.

Here's to PORT! [cheers.gif]
The Port Maverick
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

In my case, it's not any particular purchase, but a particular Port that has frustrated me. I've opened four bottles of 1963 Taylor in the past few years, all purchased from different sources and all looking great. Upon drinking, all four were badly corked or otherwise seriously flawed. I'm starting to think this is one great wine I am just destined to never get to enjoy
[dash1.gif]
Tom D.
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

83 Noval Nacional
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

1975 Noval VP
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Well... other than the seemingly endless stream of corked ports from 1977, I would have to say that it was a Port I bought many many years ago. I wanted something special, and it was at a moment's notice. I went to this liquor store and bought a 1977 Warre's. It was very expensive (I think it was $100 and this was probably around 1990). Yes, I know, a silly price. The wine was so dead. I don't know what had happened to it, but it was a HUGE disappointment. All alcohol and no fruit.
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

The two cases of 1985 Croft I used to own, either this Port is just not good or my two cases happened to not be good.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1985 Hoopers VP. Wanna trade?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marc J. wrote:The biggest Port disappointment in the recent past would probably be some 1972 Offley that I purchased a few months ago. I wasn't expensive, but there were absolutely zero redeeming qualities to this Port. None. Not one. I was expecting a rather one dimensional Port that was a bit past its peak - those lofty expectations weren't even met (not even close.) Oh well, live and learn...
Yeap, had this once too and that was more than enough.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

My greatest disappointment is the same as Sean's - I'm pretty tolerant of VA, but not even I could drink either of the two bottles of Croft 85 I bought. I've never bought it since, despite a number of chances to do so.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Romariz colheita 66.... It was the top taste of the evening... but everybody was disapointed, not worth the money
Pinhao is my second home
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

1975 Taylor. Just a very weak port for Taylor.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A tie between 1963 Quinta do Noval and 1983 Taylor for me.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Another one for me is 1980 Fonseca VP. Every wine producer is entitled to an off year...
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

The Broadbent 1994 produced by Bartholomew Broadbent and bottled by Dick Nierpoort was one of my disappointments. It is a good vintage year, great pedigree of port producers/experts and maybe an 83 rated wine. Totally unbalanced, below average port. :(
Richard Henderson
Shawn Denkler

1972 Offley

Post by Shawn Denkler »

Interesting how 1972 Offley has been mentioned as the biggest disappointment in port. I bought nine bottles in the late 70's or early 80's because they were on sale and quite cheap. They were quite nice for an off year. I remember them having good fruit and structure when young.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Shawn Denkler wrote:Interesting how 1972 Offley has been mentioned as the biggest disappointment in port. I bought nine bottles in the late 70's or early 80's because they were on sale and quite cheap. They were quite nice for an off year. I remember them having good fruit and structure when young.
I guess time hasn't been kind to it lol.
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

Here are a few disappointments and trust me I have nothing against this house. :Naughty:

1970 Warre's - nothing really there, way below expectation; bought from a Fort Worth establishment; could have been cooked at some point during it's travel
1990 Warre's LBV - dark, cloying and one dimensional; could have been shut down
1976 Warre's Colheita - nutty and sickly sweet with tons of protruding spirit