2005 Kopke LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lars F

2005 Kopke LBV Port

Post by Lars F »

LBV's are not really my favorite, but Graham and Quevedo 2003 have made me try new ways. Picked up this 2005 on a vacation for about 12€.
Dark red color, which was the best part. The alcohol in this LBV was more dominant than I've ever experienced. The nose was sharp and not pleasant at all. The taste was completely dominated by the alcohol without any fruit to balance it, and I have to say that this was a port I didn't really like. I tried it over three days, and it mellowed a little bit, but not enough. A big dissapointment.

-Lars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2005 Kopke LBV

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sorry to hear of your experience with this particular LBV. Was this a filtered LBV or unfiltered?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

Andy, it doesn't say, but it says on the bottle that it can form deposit, not sure if that qualifies as unfiltered.

- Lars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I love many of Kopke's products, but I must say their website (or lack there of*) isn't exactly helpful. It mentions basically the same thing, plus leave it standing up. It also says it should be drunk within 3 years. Based on that and the t-stopper cork I'm assuming it's a filtered LBV. I'm not sure why they say it will throw a deposit if they also say it should be drunk so young. Is it really going to throw that much sediment in 3 years time? (sorry for slight thread drift)

*One can't find Kopke by googling "Kopke", which I tried. You have to know to type in Sogevinus, their parent company, then click to that page, then find Kopke in their Portfolio, etc. Complete website fail and someone at Sogevinus needs to address this issue. :soapbox:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com