Visiting the Douro, what's holding you back from going or going again?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Visiting the Douro, what's holding you back from going or going again?

Post by Andy Velebil »

It goes without saying if you're on this forum, either as a poster or just a reader so far, that you most likely really like Port, Douro wine, and/or Madeira. While I know the economy is tough at the moment, if you've never been to the Douro or Oporto what is holding you back? Is it the difficult in getting there from your country? How hard it is to get to the Douro and get around in the Douro? A lack of knowing people there? Getting time off work? Or something else?

On the flip side, for those that have been what's holding you back from going again?

And regardless of whether you've been before, are you planning on going sometime in the near future?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Visiting the Douro, what's holding you back from going or going again?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Vacation allowance and money in general are keeping me from visiting again. I would like to go back very much, but will have to bring the better-half this time. She has not been to Europe, so I don't think I have many solo trips allowed except for business. I am putting Madeira on top of my list for the next trip ahead of Douro unless I can do both.

Would love to stay at Portal again, but bring my bicycle.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Economics. I'd love to go again - as would my wife - but in this economy we just can't afford to.
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Time. That is the reason why I am not in the Douro right now. It will not be a problem for much longer 8--) [cheers.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Ahh, the two issues of time and money. Not having both is a problem. Having one but not the other is more annoying.
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

I don't know why, but Portugal just hasn't come up in mind until some years ago. I started to think to go there after I discovered port. We've been in many European countries, just not Portugal. I hoped to go there this september, but we are going on a trip to France instead. Why? Maybe the unknown? Maybe the language? I do have a lot of friends and colleagues who have been to Portugal and they all agree about the beauty of the country and the friendly people.
So I really have to go sometime, but my problem is that my husband doesn't drink wine nor port, and just that would be my biggest purpose of going there.
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

It looks like we all have the same constraints, even those who live there and would love to spend more time in the vineyards...

Monique, as Portugal is not always about Port and wine, you can try to convince your husband to come by suggesting a visit to Lisbon and few days in the beach. There is a lot of diversity and things to do from north to south. If you need help let me know!
Victor D.

Post by Victor D. »

We're leaving Christmas Day for Portugal! [cheers.gif]
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

oscarquevedo wrote: Monique, as Portugal is not always about Port and wine, you can try to convince your husband to come by suggesting a visit to Lisbon and few days in the beach. There is a lot of diversity and things to do from north to south. If you need help let me know!

Thank you Oscar, that's very kind of you! Maybe I will.

Monique.
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

oscarquevedo wrote:It looks like we all have the same constraints, even those who live there and would love to spend more time in the vineyards...

Monique, as Portugal is not always about Port and wine, you can try to convince your husband to come by suggesting a visit to Lisbon and few days in the beach. There is a lot of diversity and things to do from north to south. If you need help let me know!
We're (deo volente, of course) going back to the Douro / Oporto next summervacation (2012). [yahoo.gif]
We've been there once before (2010) and, with lots of very kind help from Oscar then, stayed at the most beautiful appartment we could wish for right at the bank of the Douro river, right next to Q de Vargellas. [dance2.gif] [notworthy.gif]
When we go next time, we hope to be able to stay there againg for some days and then again go to the Porto area (I don't think we'll be staying in Porto city this time, because a hotel isn't the best place for us, since we have two young boys.
@Monique, I can confirm what Oscar says! My wife is not that much into wine as I am, but she also loved (north)Portugal, the Douro and Porto for all the other great sites and things to do/see/experience!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Gerwin de Graaf wrote:I don't think we'll be staying in Porto city this time, because a hotel isn't the best place for us, since we have two young boys.
Of course you could rent an apartment in Porto too. We rented this one, which might not be big enough for your family, but there are other listings out there and bigger apartments. I often look at VRBO.com, but I think some other sites are more Europe oriented.
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Gerwin de Graaf wrote:I don't think we'll be staying in Porto city this time, because a hotel isn't the best place for us, since we have two young boys.
Of course you could rent an apartment in Porto too. We rented this one, which might not be big enough for your family, but there are other listings out there and bigger apartments. I often look at VRBO.com, but I think some other sites are more Europe oriented.
I've booked an apartment for a few days in the leadup to the Harvest Tour through http://www.apartmentsapart.com/ but there are a bunch of other websites that do this too. Most of the apartments are listed on multiple sites. I saw the one Eric rented online - I remember the distinctive green paintjob. I think that will be very close to where I am staying. Having been to Porto before, I can say that it would be a great place to visit even without the Port
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Paul Fountain wrote:I've booked an apartment for a few days in the leadup to the Harvest Tour through http://www.apartmentsapart.com/ but there are a bunch of other websites that do this too. Most of the apartments are listed on multiple sites. I saw the one Eric rented online - I remember the distinctive green paintjob. I think that will be very close to where I am staying. Having been to Porto before, I can say that it would be a great place to visit even without the Port
There is a fair amount of overlap with the various rental web sites, but no one seems to have everything. I found the apartment I rented listed elsewhere as well, but I think my link is direct with the owner, and I try to cut out middlemen/agents if possible. That green place was less than a block from Vinologia and about a block from the Pestana. There are some nice places at apartmentsapart.com too. I'll have to add that to my list for future trips to Porto and elsewhere.
hugo oliveira

Post by hugo oliveira »

Well, i'm in a bit of advantage because i'm one hour drive from Douro :).

What i can say to everybody is that is relatively easy to find accomodation in the north of Portugal, Oporto and Douro. Driving and sightseeing is also easy and you have a lot more to see than just wine and quintas. So it can be a family trip and not just a "Port Special".

And the cost of things, meals, and friendliness of the people, etc will be a good surprise... more money to spend in nice bottles [cheers.gif] .

In my own case, being someone new to the Port love affair, i never gone to the Douro focusing in the wine and quintas, just on sightseeing or in great meals with friends.

But i plan a visit to Quinta de Panascal this month, to try and see the vindimas (harvest) and the scenary, that i heard is breathtaking. And a little taste in the end!
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

Aiden and Ceili, 5 and 2....when 2 turns to 3 and gramma is more willing to come and babysit, perhaps...