Strangest place you've drunk Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Strangest place you've drunk Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Last night I went to the Galaxy soccer (football) game with a bunch of friends, one of whom was born in 1975. So I couldn't resist the urge to bring something from his birthyear to drink as we tail-gated in the parking lot before the game. I decanted and took a 1975 Cockburn's Vintage Port, which was tossed into the cooler with the beer for all to enjoy. It has to be one of the strangest places I've had an older VP at.

What is the strangest place you've drank Port at?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ben Read

Re: Strangest place you've drunk Port

Post by Ben Read »

In a similar vein, Al. B and I drank a Ramos Pinto 1995 LBV and a Martinez 1985 at Lord's yesterday. Very civilised but not your ordinary port drinking location or time - we started at 11am!
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

On a remote island in the Southern Indian Ocean. Given the lack of facilities, I had transported this bottle in my luggage and I very much enjoyed sipping it on the beach.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

In Goa India at restaurant in 1995.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

In a plane crossing the atlantic. Brought two 5cl bottles I got at a tasting.

-Lars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I also have to add a Quinta do Vesuvio VP at about 36,000 feet somewhere over Europe with two other Port drinking pals :yumyum:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I've also had Port on a plane, but I think the strangest place was probably at the top of a run at Beaver Creek ski resort in Colorado with Eric Menchen. We were "testing" whether or not altitude affected the palate. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:I've also had Port on a plane, but I think the strangest place was probably at the top of a run at Beaver Creek ski resort in Colorado with Eric Menchen. We were "testing" whether or not altitude affected the palate. :wink:
I don't recall what our conclusion was on that. A re-test is in order.

I didn't notice an effect when drinking port at Jackal Hut, which might be my strangest place.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I also have to add a Quinta do Vesuvio VP at about 36,000 feet somewhere over Europe with two other Port drinking pals :yumyum:
[friends.gif]

I remember enjoying a significant amount of Graham's 20 YRO on a flight from London to Mumbai. I think we were above Pakistan by the time it was being served as the flight path from London across eastern Europe was accompanied by a few bottles of Dom P 1996 :-)
John M.

Post by John M. »

Inspired by this topic, I enjoyed a glass on the beach last evening. :lol:
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Inspired by this topic, I enjoyed a glass on the beach last evening. :lol:
:thumbsup:

so does a tawny or a VP go best on the beach?
John M.

Post by John M. »

I'm going to need to run a lot of experiments to determine that!! :drunk:
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:I'm going to need to run a lot of experiments to determine that!! :drunk:
A proper experiment requires also trying White and Rose Ports, Crusted, LBV's, and of course basic and Reserve Rubies as well [cheers.gif] :mrgreen:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Let's see; there's port at Lord's with Ben, certainly. Then there's Warre colheita on various flights over various places. Or Graham's 1985 in a disused sugar plantation in the West Indies. But I think that I will give the overall nod to drinking port on a veranda with some of my cousins in summer 2007. Not very strange you might think. True, except for the fact that the only light came from the fireflies around us and the only sound was that of the Southern Right whales calling tomeach other as they looked for mates in the sea that was only 10'yards from the veranda. Maybe that wasn't a strange place to drink port, but it sure was weird hearing those sounds.