Have you ever purchased a vertical of Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Have you ever purchased a vertical of Port?

Post by Glenn E. »

I got one also, which is due to arrive via UPS today. Just in time for Christmas! (No, I'm not opening any of them over Christmas.)
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Russ,

There may have been less expensive ways to put together a similar collection of bottles, but I seriously doubt that the quality would have been nearly as good as the bottles you've now purchased. Congratulations for scoring the last of the five verticals. You and Glenn are going to love these. I hope neither of you run into any corked bottles and you'll both have an extraordinary ready made tasting when you want to do so.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

Roy, got the shipment today. Top rate condition on all 14 bottles. My first 63, so I am a little concerned when I opened it and the capsule is kind of funky looking, but many pictures on line have similar situation on these bottlings. Everything looks great, no signs of any major seeps or even really stains. Only thing wrong is one label fell off... big deal...I am very pleased. Thanks for putting this one together! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
:clap: :clap:
Russ
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My pleasure Russ. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

It was interesting to re-read this thread. Since my original post I have purchased two verticals.

The first was the 10th Anniversary Vesuvio case which held bottles from 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997. This has been picked apart and drunk although I still have the 1994 and 1995 left to drink.

The second was a case of Dow magnums all ex-cellars bought in late 2012 and opened as a vertical at a January 2013 tasting of our London Port group. This contained magnums of 1994, 1985, 1980, 1977, 1970 and 1963. (We washed dinner down with Smith Woodhouse 1986 LBV, Warre 1985 magnum and Allegria Porto 2000 and 2011.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

After purchasing this vertical I have expanded it significantly. It now stretches from 1945 through 2016 inclusive, and also includes '11, '15, and '16 Stone Terraces. It will soon grow to include 2017, as well as '17 Stone Terraces if that also gets declared.

It's getting a bit large, so I may have to pull the trigger on the tasting soon. It's already going to take 2 days for 23 bottles (25 if you count the assumed 2017s).
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Glenn E. wrote:It's getting a bit large, so I may have to pull the trigger on the tasting soon. It's already going to take 2 days for 23 bottles (25 if you count the assumed 2017s).
Woohoo! I can't wait [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:After purchasing this vertical I have expanded it significantly. It now stretches from 1945 through 2016 inclusive, and also includes '11, '15, and '16 Stone Terraces. It will soon grow to include 2017, as well as '17 Stone Terraces if that also gets declared.

It's getting a bit large, so I may have to pull the trigger on the tasting soon. It's already going to take 2 days for 23 bottles (25 if you count the assumed 2017s).
Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

I got all excited about this until I saw the dates...... [dash1.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:...It's already going to take 2 days for 23 bottles (25 if you count the assumed 2017s).
Nice!!

Nonsense, we've done more than that in the UK in one day. Must start early afternoon. Stop and take a break, have dinner, come back for second half after. DO NOT spend 1 hour discussing each flight. Drink lots of water and all is well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:...It's already going to take 2 days for 23 bottles (25 if you count the assumed 2017s).
Nice!!

Nonsense, we've done more than that in the UK in one day. Must start early afternoon. Stop and take a break, have dinner, come back for second half after. DO NOT spend 1 hour discussing each flight. Drink lots of water and all is well.
Yeah, I've done it too. There's a difference between "can be done" and "is enjoyable to do". [shok.gif]

I prefer a more casual pace, but with free-form discussion while you are tasting. I use the flights to just sort of keep everyone tasting approximately the same Ports at the same time. But in the end I prefer to allocate 15-20 minutes per glass, though while actually tasting that time will get broken up. Maybe 10 minutes per glass for the first pass, then another 2-3 for a second pass/refresher while scoring, and then ultimately another 5 minutes later in the afternoon or evening to come back and see how it has changed.

But I'm slow. [dance2.gif]
Glenn Elliott