Roy's 2006 Douro Growing Season Report

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Roy's 2006 Douro Growing Season Report

Post by Roy Hersh »

A nicely wet winter given the recent drought years was much enjoyed by the vines and rootstock.

The late Spring of April and May were quite dry.

June had 3 days of rain. On June 14th that fateful "hail" day, places that did not have it received rain. For example, Quinta do Bomfim had 32 mm on the 14th of June.

In total, Quinta do Bomfim in the heart of Pinhao, received 76 mm of precipitation in June, which is the most they have had, going back to 1992. In fact, the 15 year avg. at Bomfim is 22 mm for June.

Believe me, besides the hail that many properties had, the precipitation could not have come at a better time.

Early to mid-July has been very warm with temperatures between 39-43 degrees, which is actually much hotter than normal for this early in the summer. Fortunately, there has been a cooling trend in the past week with temps. yesterday at 33 degrees C. with overnight temps as low as 23-26 degrees.

All in all, it is looking like a fine vintage shaping up, "hail storm" issues aside. Normalcy has set in to the Douro once again and if things continue on, there is a good chance for a very good but smaller than normal harvest.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As you all know, there were about 1000 hectares lost during the hail storm that hit the Douro in early June. I got to see lots of it while there. Worst hit (that I am aware of) was Quinta do Vale Dona Maria, owned by Cristiano van Zeller who had 60% of his crop wiped out.

For the past six weeks, encompassing July through today, the temperatures have been extremely hot up to and in the low 40 degree C. mark, which would be deadly in most wine regions but is pretty typical here in the Douro. There is significant need for a day or two of rain before the end of the month, but that is not a given. Of course the growers prefer it to take place now and not wait until September. The good news is that the nights have been quite cool and acidity levels should be great in the grapes.

Currently, the temperatures have dropped dramatically, but that is in Oporto, not the Douro.

Besides the crop damage from the hail, this is looking like it there will be large yields according to Miguel Roquette at Quinta do Crasto. We spoke earlier this morning and he mentioned that his brother Tomas said that in addition to a large crop, if things continue as per status quo, the picking should start a week or two early this year. More news as it develops.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

There is significant need for a day or two of rain before the end of the month
There is a large low pressure system moving across the Bay of Biscay, heading towards France, that will bring weather fronts over the Douro later this week. Light showers are expected Wednesday and Thursday, with heavier rain on Friday. (BBC forecast for Vila Real)

So looking good. All that's needed is fine weather through the harvest - but that, of course, has been the undoing of so many vintages...

If they do get a vintage-worthy harvest it will present one small headache - the trade will come to expect them every third year, and explaining that the three year intervals have been purely coincidental will probably become something of a chore...

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You'd have to look back all the way to 1988 to find a crappy year within the 3 year cycle. We all know that it is coincidental, but many probably would think it is a "fix" and dream up some consipiracy theories.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Weather is now fine, but with a thin band of clouds passing over - satellite pictures and forecast suggest weather that is close to ideal for the next few days.

Did they get enough rain??

Tom
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The last week has provided unbroken sunshine with temperatures in the mid to high seventies. The five day forecast is for more of the same.

Picking may have already started in the Douro Superior, if not, it will be only be a few days away. Downstream, where most of the famous, Grade A quintas are located, the harvest normally kicks off in the middle of September.

If Roy is right, and they are running a week or two ahead this year, they may be looking to start picking as early as next week.

I know Roy is a bit tied up with work at the moment - is their anyone on the ground who can give us an update?

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

More importantly - can someone please make sure they leave some grapes on the vine at Vesuvio so that the FTLOP Mob can pick and tread them in early October :shock:

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote:More importantly - can someone please make sure they leave some grapes on the vine at Vesuvio so that the FTLOP Mob can pick and tread them in early October :shock:

Derek
I AGREE 8)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I really appreciate that you guys have kept the lights on while I am away. I have reached out to friends in Oporto/Douro to find out some specifics and will report back here when I have some news (by the weekend, most likely).

The Douro Superior may be picked by the time we get there, but I should know shortly. However, in the Cima Corgo where we'll visit four properties, I would bet that we will be there during the peak of the action. Keep the faith!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

Glad to see you are still alive and well 8)

It will be a shame if we get to Vesuvio to find that all the grapes have gone but I am sure Andy myself and the others on the trip can have our spirits lifted very easily with a couple of extra bottles of NN31 the following day :P

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I checked some stats on Vesuvio.

Their eight lagares do not have quite enough capacity to handle all the grapes from the Quinta, so some will be used twice over, but assuming they only fill one lagar a day, an un-interrupted harvest would span about 10-12 days.

The curse of making forward plans to hit the harvest is not knowing exactly when that harvest will happen. Roy has picked the most central days within the normal timeframe, but there is a risk they will have finished before you arrive.

If so, there is always next year!

Unfortunately my business commitments do not permit a break of several days in October, but I am tempted to jet over for one night only (If Roy doesn't mind..) to meet you in the must - if the timing is going to work out.

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

From Rupert Symington:

We’ve had some serious rain in the Douro in mid August which is most welcome, and fruit development is looking very good. It probably won’t be as early a harvest as last year, probably starting around the 20th in the Cima Corgo according to our maturation studies. Curiously this seems to be a year where the maturation across the Douro is more even than usual meaning that the picking could be concentrated within a narrower time frame.

Currently we are experiencing a mini heat wave, which combined with the rain of 10 days ago should bring things on very nicely. There are no signs of rot and conditions look ideal for the time being. All indications are also for a smaller harvest than last year, although still well over what is strictly required for Port and quality table wines.

From Adrian Bridge:

We start harvest tomorrow with white grapes coming into Roeda. Over the weekend we will open Nogueira bringing in the first port grapes from around Barca d’Alva.

We have rain in August – 20 ml – and this has finished off the grapes very well. We have seen a good growing season in most of the quintas and but for the hail storm in June it would have been perfect.

I will keep you updated.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

From Quinta do Noval's Christian Seely:

The weather here is great at the moment, and looks like it will stay that way for a while. We have started harvesting our white grapes, picking at 5 in the morning to keep them away from the heat of the latter part of the day, which is considerable. First red grapes should be coming in beginning next week.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sounds like an earlier harvest?? I guess if they are already picked, then we can throw some store bought grapes in the lagares and stomp away :twisted:
Last edited by Andy Velebil on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Historically, Noval have tended to pick late, so this does sound like a very early harvest.

Weather forecast remains very good - temperature is expected to go into the thirties next week, with low humidity.

I'm wondering what the grapes are like in the Quintas that got hail damaged...

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

I have written to some with notable crop damage as well as the three that have reported back so far. There are four more that I contacted that evening.

I think the harvest might be a little early but it really depends on location. The fact that the majority are beginning their white grape harvest does not necessarily have bearing on the Port fruit. We'll get updates as the harvest progresses. I still say we'll be stomping on grapes in the Cima Corgo.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

uncle tom wrote:Historically, Noval have tended to pick late, so this does sound like a very early harvest.

Weather forecast remains very good - temperature is expected to go into the thirties next week, with low humidity.

I'm wondering what the grapes are like in the Quintas that got hail damaged...

Tom
Since Quinta do Noval is putting the stem in the Lagares, they are waiting for the perfect maturity of it as long with the grapes maturity.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy,

Don't worry. If all the grapes have been picked and stomped by the time you get to the lagares, you can stand in one and we'll pour some ruby port all over your feet for you.

You can still head home with purple legs.....and explain those to the Air Marshall on your flight home :snooty:

Alex
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

bridgema wrote:Andy,
You can still head home with purple legs.....and explain those to the Air Marshall on your flight home :snooty:

Alex
I hope the Air Marshalls don't let me on the plane, then I will just have to stay in porto :winebath: 8)
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I just did a quick check of the Atlantic satellite maps, and am pleased to report that there is nothing that looks remotely threatening at this stage.

There are some relatively feeble systems drifting across to the UK and northern France, and the weather system that is currently drenching New York is being projected to break up and head north-west.

Overall it's looking calm and benign, so there's a very good chance that the weather will be fine and dry, at least until next weekend, and hopefully beyond!

Tom