Roy's 2006 Douro Growing Season Report

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Does this mean there will be no grapes left for us to tread on 4 Oct? :cry:

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote:Does this mean there will be no grapes left for us to tread on 4 Oct? :cry:

Derek
Like I said, if not, then we can buy some table grapes in Porto and take them up river with us to stomp :help: :devil:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Don't worry guys, one thing is sure, there will be grapes on the vines left from the harvest, so you will be a able to do some "basket press" wine.

Last year the harvest around Pinhao was finished around the 15th. One drop of rain doesn't mean the harvest is ruined, if it is followed by a few days of sunshine, it could even be better for the grapes that need some water.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

There seems to be little joy on the weather front - as the tail end of Gordon drops it's drizzle, Helene is breezing across the atlantic, on course for the English Channel, but likely to drop some miserable weather on Portugal at the same time.

This looks like rot in waiting - a damp and messy end to the vintage..

Anyone on the ground??

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Today's report:

Dear Roy

We have had some rain over the past few days and quite heavy on Saturday & Sunday. Harvest is half way through at Vesuvio and a little under half way at other properties in the Cima Corgo - a little more rain expected in a day or two. So far not too bad but sugar levels dropped off slightly! Warmer and sunnier today in Vesuvio.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

I just looked on the weather forecast and it is rain for Friday to Sunday :? :cry: It better blow off soon!!!
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Falling sugar levels and more rain forecast sounds pretty deadly. There may be some fine SQ's from the early pickings, but that's all we can probably hope for.

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

You certainly seem to drink from a half empty cup. At this point, we can be patient and see what transpires over the next few weeks. I would have no issue with a "non-declared" vintage in 2006. It would get rid of the skeptics who believe the 3 year cycle has nothing to do with Mother Nature.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Roy,

I think I fall into the camp of optimistic realist - I hope for the best, but know when to call time.

I was willing this to be a blockbuster year, but it doesn't look like going that way.

British Prime Minister of the 50's, Harold MacMillan, was once asked what could most easily steer a government off course. He replied, simply, 'Events dear boy, events..'

'Events' we have with the weather this year - as there are most years - but it IS annoying when bad weather spoils an otherwise fine harvest at vintage.

All is not lost though. The grapes that were picked prior to the 21st should have been in good form. If next year is poor and the early indications of '08 do not inspire, we might yet see a general declaration. Might.

We shall see!

Tom
Frederick Blais

I think also that is quite early to speculate on the quality of the harvest. Grapes harvested by now may be too young and not ripen perfectly. Normally the harvest time in Portugal can go as far as late October. So rain for a few days doesn't warn for any bad quality. It always depend how long it will rain and how the weather following it with affect the rot and mildew. Right now I don't think anyting is spoiled. A few 25+ Celcius sunny day can put the sugar level back to normal and give an interesting harvest.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Frederick,

I am in full agreement. I am not saying that it's impossible for this year's harvest to be ruined, but nothing I have been told so far has caused me to believe that outcome will take place, at least at this early stage. There are just too many examples with harvests that looked like trouble that turned out wonderfully. Conversely, there are plenty of vintages that have been wiped out early and/or late in the growing season ... within days or weeks of the end of the harvest.

More importantly, when there has been an extremely dry and hot summertime, a couple of days of rain can reinvigorate the vines and occasionally decrease the temperatures which bring on greater balance due to the increase in acidity.