Save The Grapes: Terrantez

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Save The Grapes: Terrantez

Post by Roy Hersh »

Does anyone have any solid idea(s) of how to go about preventing this incredibly rare and precious grape species from becoming extinct on the island of Madeira?

Please have a look at July's newsletter and the article with the same title.

We know of the problems, how about helping to find a solution that is viable and affordable?

If any individual or a collaborative approach can yield the "right fix" I'd be happy to take it to the Madeira Wine Institute.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

Since nobody else has posted I’ll try something out on Terrantez.

Of course the main issue is, as will all products or services, that unless something is economically viable, it is not likely to continue to be produced. Certainly there are times when something unviable is subsidized by another successful venture out of the passion of the maker/grower, but with so many small growers on Madeira this seems unlikely without outside help.

Option 1:
Save the grape from extinction by replanting elsewhere.
Find another locale which supports the same climate (Hawaii perhaps?) and plant some vines there. No it will not be the same but at least there will be vines somewhere until it become viable to replant on Madeira.

Option 2:
Communal vines. Several small growers could replant some Terrantez and share the vineyards. This would reduce the risk and investment for all while allowing some vines to grow and continue the existence of this varietal.

Option 3:
PR campaign. Some type of PR campaign for Madeira (like I need higher prices) could assist.* Perhaps even some designation from single vineyards or some other eye catching, though largely not relevant designation, could help. The Faja Dos Padres was such designated and while not normal, it does sometimes help with other regions (CA Pinot Noir??)

Option 4:
Find some stocks on the island of older or good Terrantez. Since many of them are quite old and expensive, perhaps sacrificing some of the weaker into blending could produce something nice (a Solera or a Madeira with and indication of age??). This, in the market at a reasonable price, may convince some to replant Terrantez to meet the future demand.

Option 5:
Related to option #4, this is to work on creating the demand, and filling it, with young Madeiras which are special but focus on the various types. There is the Broadbent wines, the H&H, Justinos, etc… as well as the Rare Wine Co series. Add a Terrantez to the lineup to generate some interest. (Perhaps some Bastardo and Moscatel as well)

Option 6:
Bottle in different sizes. I love the 750ml bottles but since most Madeira is not used as a table wine and only sercial normally an aperitif, what about bottling in half bottles? Since, like tawny port, bottling is done as needed, a half bottle of that 1802 Terrantez suddenly becomes far less expensive and easier to purchase. I would stock more bottles this way at my house.

Of course the issue also is having Terrantez which can produce a nice wine in 10 years or a wonderful wine in 100 years. Not sure of the economics at work on the island and if there is the structure to allow for that long of a delay anymore for newer vineyards.

* Recently I took some Madeira to an offline as many there had not had much Madeira if any in the past. Not just the taste won them over but also the idea of being able to open a nice bottle and have a taste every night for almost a month! I know that some Madeira was purchased after that offline. A good PR campaign would be a winner.

Jay.
- Jay Woodruff.