Tête-à-tête: Graham's Six Grapes vs. Noval Black

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Which of these two Ruby Reserve Ports do you prefer?

NOVAL BLACK
60%
GRAHAM'S SIX GRAPES
40%

Total votes: 20

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Tête-à-tête: Graham's Six Grapes vs. Noval Black

Post by Roy Hersh »

Here are two of the top Reserve Ruby Ports and I am wondering if you have a favorite or preference or have ever tried these head to head?

If you prefer one or the other, please do tell us why. [notworthy.gif]

I have included this as a poll too, just out of curiosity, so please vote ONLY if you have had both of these fine Ports. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: Tête-à-tête: Graham's Six Grapes vs. Noval Black

Post by John M. »

Both are great rubies. But the Black takes the honors in my book (I like Fonseca Bin 27, too)
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I think the Noval has a bit more richness.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

I had the Six Grapes a few years ago and was not a fan. The Noval Black, though, is a nice ruby. I'll have to go back and try the Six Grapes again to see if my opinion has changed.

-- Gary
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

That's like asking a parent which child they like better [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I prefer Six Grapes. I just find it more luscious and fruity. The Noval is too tart and "red" for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I like both, but I think the Black is a bit too youthful for immediate drinking, which is what these Ports are supposed to be.

Sent from my MacBook Air using the keyboard and my fingers. [dance2.gif]
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I enjoy both of them, but I'd give the edge to Noval Black.
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

This reminds me that I've yet to try the Noval. Six Grapes was the first Port I ever tasted, and I was smitten. :D
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I've not tried the Noval Black but have enjoyed the Fonseca Bin 27, Warre's Warrior, and Graham's Six Grapes. Each were very good for their style but I believe their reputations go up and down over the years for reasons of quality, fashion and taste. I suppose a tasting comparison would be an interesting excercise.

Cheers....................Mahmoud
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy wrote:
That's like asking a parent which child they like better
[1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

All one has to do is peruse the TNDB to know which one you prefer. It seems like there is a pretty significant point spread in your reviews of these two particular Ports. [foilhat.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Andy wrote:
That's like asking a parent which child they like better
[1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

All one has to do is peruse the TNDB to know which one you prefer. It seems like there is a pretty significant point spread in your reviews of these two particular Ports. [foilhat.gif]
Yes, but as much as I love the Black, I still have a soft spot for Six Grapes. But alas if I was forced to pick just one, based on score I'd go with Black and based on love I'd go with Graham's. [bye2.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

OK, we'll leave love out of this and try to get a straight answer. If you were given the option to be able to only choose one of these two Ports (which we know you score BLACK several points higher ... assume you think it is better; but "love" the Six Grapes for all the sentimental reasons :mrgreen: ) which one would you choose? Also, which one did you vote for above? [friends.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:OK, we'll leave love out of this and try to get a straight answer. If you were given the option to be able to only choose one of these two Ports (which we know you score BLACK several points higher ... assume you think it is better; but "love" the Six Grapes for all the sentimental reasons :mrgreen: ) which one would you choose? Also, which one did you vote for above? [friends.gif]
I gotta admit, it wasn't an easy choice, but I had to vote for Black.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well my friend, that must have seemed like a bad trip to the dentist. [help.gif]

Don't worry, no emails have come in from the Symingtons ... yet.
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

We just finished up a bottle of Noval Black - I'd have to say it's by far our favorite Ruby. We've had a few bottles of Six Grapes over the years, but none recently. A side-by-side would be interesting - maybe with the next bottle of Black we'll give it a try.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Carl,

I am going to do the side-by-side test myself and might just include a few other Reserve Ruby Ports too, so that when I taste them blind, it will be less obvious. I may even do this with a panel of local Port enthusiasts.

I hope you and others will do these two side by side. Whether looking or blind, it will be an interesting experiment. Nothing like doing this blind to provide the fairest way to measure the qualitative characteristics of each Port.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Just opened a Broadbent Auction Reserve and it had me wondering how it would compare.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I like the Broadbent Auction Reserve and think it can hold its own very well against the "big boys" in this category.

I can tell that the Noval Black is a very good reserve Port, but it just isn't my style. I like both Six Grapes and Auction Reserve better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I am going to do the side-by-side test myself and might just include a few other Reserve Ruby Ports too, so that when I taste them blind, it will be less obvious. I may even do this with a panel of local Port enthusiasts.
Interesting idea. Perhaps we could organise a cross-Atlantic tasting where we pick six Ruby Reserves that are available in both markets and organise blind tastings in London and Seattle on the same date? 8--)