Cigars and port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jeff G.

Cigars and port

Post by Jeff G. »

I was smoking a La Aurora emerald preferido and I happent o have some taylor 82 lbv already decanted.

I don't know what's worse

that I ruined my tastes for a nice cigar

or that I ruined the taste of the port.
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
oscarquevedo

Re: Cigars and port

Post by oscarquevedo »

I don't smoke and don't like to drink while people around are smoking. But lately more and more cigar smokers have come to us looking for the right Port for the cigar. Don't know if we have anyone in the forum that loves more the cigar rather than Port, but I'd really like to know why Port works well with cigar.

Are you an amateur smoker Jeff, or is La Aurora that bad?
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

oscarquevedo wrote:I don't smoke and don't like to drink while people around are smoking. But lately more and more cigar smokers have come to us looking for the right Port for the cigar. Don't know if we have anyone in the forum that loves more the cigar rather than Port, but I'd really like to know why Port works well with cigar.

the la aurora was fantastic on its own.

I acutally started out with a knappough 94' and noticed i had some port sitting around

the port was okay to start with

and the whiskey was fantastic.

But I only smoke 1-2 cigars per year so I ask my cigar friends for something good.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

While I enjoy a good cigar on occasion, I am not a fan of cigars with Port. The cigar destroys the flavors in Port and I'd much rather have a nicely acidic Madeira with a cigar instead. I think the whole cigar/Port thing was a product of the "old-days" when wealthy old men would retire after dinner to smoke their cigars while wearing those ridiculous looking old smoking jackets and sipping on a glass of Port.

Need I say more [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

oscarquevedo wrote:I don't smoke and don't like to drink while people around are smoking. But lately more and more cigar smokers have come to us looking for the right Port for the cigar. Don't know if we have anyone in the forum that loves more the cigar rather than Port, but I'd really like to know why Port works well with cigar.

oh and try a cigar with a really woody tawny.

I can see how some peopel find that appealing.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:While I enjoy a good cigar on occasion, I am not a fan of cigars with Port. The cigar destroys the flavors in Port and I'd much rather have a nicely acidic Madeira with a cigar instead. I think the whole cigar/Port thing was a product of the "old-days" when wealthy old men would retire after dinner to smoke their cigars while wearing those ridiculous looking old smoking jackets and sipping on a glass of Port.
Good to know. I'll remind you of this the next time we are on the terrace at Quinta do Noval at 2a.m. with a couple of Monte Christos and a bottle of Noval 1937 Colheita. I'll be happy to take care of your share of the 37 :wink:
[friends.gif] [dance2.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:While I enjoy a good cigar on occasion, I am not a fan of cigars with Port. The cigar destroys the flavors in Port and I'd much rather have a nicely acidic Madeira with a cigar instead. I think the whole cigar/Port thing was a product of the "old-days" when wealthy old men would retire after dinner to smoke their cigars while wearing those ridiculous looking old smoking jackets and sipping on a glass of Port.
Good to know. I'll remind you of this the next time we are on the terrace at Quinta do Noval at 2a.m. with a couple of Monte Christos and a bottle of Noval 1937 Colheita. I'll be happy to take care of your share of the 37 :wink:
I didn't say I never pair them on a rare occasion as I do indulge once or maybe twice a year*. But it still ends up being more about the cigar dominating than the Port. Granted some Ports do better than most others and that '37 has a lot of acidity which helped it cut through some of the cigar. And sometimes you just gotta go along with the evenings dynamics :winebath:

*Although never while wearing a smoking jacket I may add :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: while wearing those ridiculous looking old smoking jackets and sipping on a glass of Port.
Need I say more [rotfl.gif]
Oh, I may have to get me one of those, for drinking shaam-paan-yuh. [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:*Although never while wearing a smoking jacket I may add :lol:
yeah right, we know you wear one of those to work every day. :wink: [friends.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

Derek T. wrote:

And just to round it out, I'm sure there would be someone else there who would be more than happy to take the MC off his hands as well.

After all, why would he want to sit around just watching [friends.gif] thoroughly enjoying themselves? :P
- Life is too short to drink bad Port
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:*Although never while wearing a smoking jacket I may add :lol:
yeah right, we know you wear one of those to work every day. :wink: [friends.gif]
I've been told I can only wear it on Fridays now :(
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phyllis D wrote:
Derek T. wrote:

And just to round it out, I'm sure there would be someone else there who would be more than happy to take the MC off his hands as well.

After all, why would he want to sit around just watching [friends.gif] thoroughly enjoying themselves? :P
Touch my MC and die [berserker.gif] :lol:
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Touch my MC and die [berserker.gif] :lol:
Me? Never! At least not while you're looking :lol:
- Life is too short to drink bad Port
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Agree, Port and cigars are not a good match. I prefer spirits with cigars, Scotch, Bourbon, or Rum. The alcohol heat sooths the cigar flavors and aromas.
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

10+ year old Tawny Port coupled with a good cigar = heaven

The best I've had so far (haven't had many 20's) was a 20 year Fonseca Tawny.

Other good one's I've had with a cigar:
Warre's Otima 20 year
Kirkland 10 year (after the initial rawness of the wine subsides) - A Fonseca wearing Costco clothing
Taylor 10 year

I've heard Madeira goes even better with cigars, specifically a 10 year Malmsey
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am a big Habanos smoker and obviously like port... Madeira & Champagne are a much better match with cigars. I'd take a tawny or similarly acidic style of port as the best match.

Drink port with cigars when both are being done casually. Take the serious notes and all that on the port and then break out the cigars!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:I am a big Habanos smoker and obviously like port... Madeira & Champagne are a much better match with cigars. I'd take a tawny or similarly acidic style of port as the best match.

Drink port with cigars when both are being done casually. Take the serious notes and all that on the port and then break out the cigars!
I've never tried cigars and Champagne...I see an experiment happening in the near future
Andrew E

Post by Andrew E »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:I am a big Habanos smoker and obviously like port... Madeira & Champagne are a much better match with cigars. I'd take a tawny or similarly acidic style of port as the best match.

I've never tried cigars and Champagne...I see an experiment happening in the near future
One of my favorite non-Cuban brands is Illusione, and the owner blends the Epernay line to be matched specifically with champagne. I read from one reviewer that he used a Cava instead and still enjoyed the pairing. Actually, here it is:
http://www.stogieguys.com/2010/03/03012 ... gance.html
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I'm with Moses ..there's nothing better than a cigar with Madeira or Champagne! If I want to taste the Port that I'm drinking I drink first and light the cigar later, then drink whats left of the Port before switching to a Tawny or Maderia. I was drinking a '63 Graham the other day and lit a Partagas Serie D No 1 LE 2004 when the bottle was half empty and they were both damn enjoyable!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Is that you in a smoking jacket in that avatar Sean? [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]