Skeffington 1994 VP

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Michael M.

Skeffington 1994 VP

Post by Michael M. »

Could you please give me an information about the quality of this Vintage Port? 1994 a fabulous year for Vintage Port, also for Skeffington?

:thanks:
Michael
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Michael

Skeffington is a name that I don't see very often. I do recall having drunk one of their wines, but it was at the end of a long evening and I don't remember which vintage it was.

If I recall correctly, the wines have the reputation for being good, middle-distance wines of the same type of quality as, say, Gould Campbell or Quarles Harris. My best advice would be to try one to see what you think. The price should be reasonable - I would not pay more than about £20-22 for one of these.

Hope this helps,

Alex
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Alex,

thanks a lot for your kind reply. I will do so and try one, the more so as storage-conditions are unknown- although the shop is not in my area. In Richard Mayson's very instructive book "Port and the Douro" (2004) are two short mentions. Page 309 he writes that Skeffington's 1994 vintage port is dense and opulent and scored even more highly than Taylor's in a comparative tasting held in 2003. And page 229 he writes that: Skeffington 1994 is also very impressive. Sounds good. But as I admire the expertise of you port loving geeks, your experence is allways most welcome.

Thank you.
Michael
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Michael,

I know that I have never had the '94 Skeffington and have never seen the brand here in the USA or Portugal. I have only read about it. So I am absolutely no help on this one!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Roy, thank you for sharing in my request. Skeffington 1994 appears to be the
"Nessie" of Port industrie ;-). Probably next week I will go to the shop, make a little tasting on the car-park and decide about additional bottles. And I will try to be the discoverer of this "Nessie" by posting a TN to the forum.

Roy, I am looking forward to your new TNs (mentioned elsewhere), can't hardly exercise myself in patience.

Michael
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Michael,
Eager to learn about your Skerffington's TN. I have simply never seen a bottle of Skeffington from Nova Scotia to Missouri so I figure this branch is totally absent in America...but read quite good things about the '85 and '94.
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Thanks for your reply.

As mentioned, I went last week to the store to taste the Skeffington 1994 VP. The clerk asked me if I would like to taste it. He offered to taste it at the store or to take it at home, one bottle would be for free. I decided to taste it with him at the store and to take the opened bottle at home. Perhaps, the decision would be evident and I would not have to drive again soon. He opend the bottle and- botched the cork. The cork was for the rest in an acceptable condition- dyed 0,2cm. The wine was fairly light-coloured reddish, nearly brick-red- no purple left at all. The nose was dominated by the alkohol, faint echos of red fruits and spices. In the mouth, there was first of all alcohol, alcohol and sugar and sugar. In short: pretty awful. But I have to add, that the wine was fairly too warm and it was carried 3 day bevor. At the same evening, after a few hours in the fridge, it was already less disappointing, but not like that I wished. After 2 day in the fridge, I had the impression, that the wine developed its balance. The echos of red fruits and spices opened, notes of cedar and plum came along, sensible tannis, and the impression of a tight structure. The wine was 4 days in the fridge and improved imo until the fourth day.

I did not make a decision until yet. Probably the conditions of storage were not perfect at all. The wine was stored in a storehouse or rather the shop, both not air-conditioned and temperated. And I wonder about the light colour.

Or would you say, that the colours is harmless and that a port from 1994 should have enough of robustness to keep quality?

Price is 21 €/25$, 15 bottles left. What would you say?

Thanks
Michael
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Michael,

I'm not sure that you necessarily gave the wine a fair chance. From what you have said - if you are looking for a wine for current drinking - the Skeffington 1994 may be a good choice. The price is reasonable if the wine is also good. The shop did a few things that would have meant the wine was not going to be able to show you its best.

Perhaps it would be worth you buying a bottle and taking it home. Stand it upright for a week and then decant it 12-24 hours in advance of when you want to drink it (don't keep it in the fridge). Maybe the shop would post a bottle to you for a reasonable charge?

At under £15 a bottle, I'd buy 6 and make this my house port for a month!

Alex
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Alex, I think you're right. Though tasting the first bottle was not ideal I liked the wine. I simply wondered about the light colour. And the condition of the cork, should provide an indication, that the storing condition have not been too bad. Anyway, I acted on your suggestion and took the OWC of six and an additional bottle wich will be opened next weekend.

Cheers
Michael