Trade bodies

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Shane Goodbody

Trade bodies

Post by Shane Goodbody »

Good day all

I am a WSET Diploma student, currently researching an assignment on the trade bodies in the port, madeira and sherry industries (IVDP, IVM and Consejo Regulador). I would be very grateful to hear anybody's views/opinions on the role and effectiveness of these bodies, and their relationship with growers, shippers and other members of the trade.

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers, Shane
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Shane and welcome aboard the FTLOP website. Your question is very complex, with no easy answers. Responding to it, would require very politically charged responses. I would almost rather point you in the direction of Port and Madeira Shippers to see if they'd be willing to help you. However, I doubt that you would find too many folks willing to say anything "on the record" ... especially without knowing you or talking to you face to face.

Showing up on a website such as this and having your very first post, deliver such a procative request for information would be akin to a stranger knocking on my front door and asking for my social security number. Please do not take this personally, as I have no doubt that you are sincerely just looking for assistance with your paper. I have helped previous WSET students doing significant works on Port and Madeira related topics. I was amazed at the depth that they went into in their specific areas of interest.

That is why I am not surprised that you were unable to coax any responses here, so far. I have strong opinions about the questions raised, but certainly would not be willing to discuss my thoughts with anyone but a close friend, privately, who could understand the intricate and historical nuances involved.

Maybe someone else here will be willing to provide the details in response to your question, but would expect it would be done privately and not here. I wish you luck in finding answers.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Shane,

There's an interesting article in the August edition of Wine & Spirit magazine on the Casa do Douro. You might be able to follow up on that with the author, Chris Losh.

Alex
Shane Goodbody

Post by Shane Goodbody »

Thanks for your replies

My apologies for ruffling feathers - I had no idea this would prove such a controversial question. As you indicated, I have had very little luck getting any response from the industry. The W&S article did prove useful though.

I have been a port fan for years, and have been browsing this fascinating forum for a while. I have not posted before now mainly because I can only afford to buy about one or two bottles of vintage port per year, so I don't have a lot to contribute from a personal perspective.

Cheers, Shane
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Sticking my neck out, I would suggest that the Shippers have nothing to gain from being insular, and everything to gain from being a little more open.

As everyone in business knows, enquiries from students very rarely pay immediate dividends, but over the long term it can pay to indulge their enquiries.

I get the impression that there are some people in the Port trade who are scared to use the technology and engage with the big bad world outside.

Insularity and insenstivity to the market is arguably the principal cause of the Sherry trade's woes.

The Port trade has nothing to hide, and does not need to radically change it's business practices, but they must engage and discuss.

The conspicuous lack of industry posts to this site well demonstrates that there is a serious problem to be addressed.

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

uncle tom wrote:The conspicuous lack of industry posts to this site well demonstrates that there is a serious problem to be addressed.

Tom
I couldn't agree more. We know from the very few posts that have been made that the shippers are lurking here. I can accept that they would not want to enter open public debate on sensitive commercial issues but I find it hard the believe that they could not at least make a contribution to some of the technical threads that have appeared here.

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I just want to go back to the last thing that Shane mentioned
I can only afford to buy about one or two bottles of vintage port per year, so I don't have a lot to contribute from a personal perspective
Shane - don't worry if you only buy one or two bottles of vintage port a year, that's one or two more than I used to buy each year when I was a student! (I still have a taste for home-made cider, but that is another story for another forum :twisted: )

I'd encourage you to take part in the monthly offlines, current or previous ones (don't hesitate to go back to one of the old tastings and starting the thread up again). Most of the wines involved in these are not expensive, starting with the Bin 27 tasting.

I'd also encourage you to post any thoughts or comments you have and to take part in the debates on the wider subject of port. We're interested in the opinions that people express and I have found this to be one of the most open forums around where members listen to each other's points of view. You've already seen the debate that has been sparked off by your original posting.

And if you happen to open a half bottle of Grahams 6 Grapes, let us know what you think of it.

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom and Derek are absolutly right. I also feel the port companies need to be a bit more open to discussion and interaction with the consumer. Although, Given the culture of the port trade, the companies have come a long way in a short time. Better web sites and a bit more flashy labels to name two. But a little more customer friendly approach would pay HUGE dividends.

If you look at the E-Robert Parker forum (Mark Squirres) there are numerous wine producers that are regular contributors on that forum. If anything, it has made their wines even more appealing due to their friendlyness.

When I am in Portugal with the FTLOP trip in a couple of weeks, if the opportunity arises I will ask why they are not more interactive. Of course, in a very delicate and diplomatic way.
I have been a port fan for years, and have been browsing this fascinating forum for a while. I have not posted before now mainly because I can only afford to buy about one or two bottles of vintage port per year, so I don't have a lot to contribute from a personal perspective.
Shane,
That is no excuse. I am sure you have lots to contribute to this forum and we would be glad if you joined in the discussions. It doesn't matter if you mostly drink a basic tawny or ruby, or an inexpensive Portuguese dry wine, your thoughts on them are quite important.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com