Great Port Tasting Nov 10 & 11 Napa

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Shawn Denkler

Great Port Tasting Nov 10 & 11 Napa

Post by Shawn Denkler »

Great Port Tasting in Napa Valley November 10 & 11

Over the years I have hosted many port tastings and assisted in many others. In 1996 I did a great port tasting from 1851 - 1945 with many 1927's and the 1931 Noval of course. This November I am doing a repeat of this tasting but now including more top ports over two evenings. I suspect my 1851 Stibbart’s is the last bottle left in the world. From my first “Great Port Tasting”, I would agree with Michael Broadbent that it is “The most magnificent old port I have ever drunk.”

Saturday night will be 1851 - 1931, and Sunday night will conclude with 1945 - 1955. The restaurants will be one Michelin star here in Napa Valley. Harvest probably will be continuing. The valley is beautiful that time of year and I will be arranging wine tours to top wineries for those that stay Monday. Harlan Estate is confirmed, others will be arranged by popular demand.

The tenative lineup - I believe I can obtain all of these but I may make some changes.

1851 Stibbart's
1927 Fonseca, Graham, Quinta do Noval, Taylor, Warre
1927 Niepoort - really want to have but so hard to find - probably can not get
1927 Cockburn - not found yet
1931 Quinta do Noval - may have two different bottlings for fun

1945 Croft, Graham, Niepoort, Taylor
1948 Fonseca, Taylor
1955 Fonseca, Graham, Niepoort, Taylor

These are what I feel are the top ports at this point in time. I've had them all, some many times. I would love some feedback on this in the Port Forum. Dow is not included as I want to do a vertical later (have 1934 - 1963 currently but want some older ones)

The cost including the two dinners will be $3000 or more as costs are finalized for a 1.5 oz pour. Half tastes will be available so more people can attend at a more affordable price. People can trade in by supplying ports in some cases but they must be in fabulous condition from great storage.

Those thinking of attending can email me at iloveport@gmail.com
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Shawn Denkler

Re: Great Port Tasting Nov 10 & 11 Napa

Post by Shawn Denkler »

Dirk Niepoort has confirmed that he is coming. He is bringing the 1927 & 1955. I already had the 1945 so we will have three great vintages of Niepoort and the pleasure of Dirk's company.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars