New London auction season starts with a whimper..

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

New London auction season starts with a whimper..

Post by Tom Archer »

The first catalogue of the new London auction season is with us - Sotheby's on Sept 20th (Christie's have a sale two days earlier, but don't have their catalogue on-line yet)

So what do we have amongst 740 lots...

..an awful lot of 'investment grade' Bordeaux..

and just ONE BOTTLE (not even a case!) of Port.

Lot 372 - allegedly N31, but they won't go further than describing it as 'believed'.

Deflated? Me???

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Tom,

What have they quoted as a guide price for the bottle of "Perhaps might be if you're really lucky N31"?

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

£600 - £800.

I suspect the hammer will fall at around £900 or £950

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

What happens if you buy a "Believed Noval 1931" at auction and when you pull the cork it has another (lesser) shipper or vintage stamped on the cork?

Derek
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

you cry? I always assumed you'd bought it as 'believed' as a punt so its on your head.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Provided there is no evidence of deliberate fraud, it's your problem :cry:

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Is it the same story if you buy from a merchant rather than at auction?
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

- It depends on how the merchant describes the product.

If he says that a product is definitely 'X', but it proves to be otherwise, then he can be called to account.

If he says 'probably' and can demonstrate good reason for describing it thus, he shouldn't be liable, but this is becoming a very grey area.

In my own trade of supplying fireworks to professional display operators, we have for many years offloaded serviceable, safe, but below spec. 'seconds' at bargain prices.

Our insurers are getting very unhappy about this, saying that if we sell anything as second grade product - even if the reason for it being second grade has nothing to with safety, and we explain why we rate it as second grade - it is almost impossible to fully delegate responsibility if the product misbehaves.

Caveat emptor was so much simpler...

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Thanks, Tom

I agree that life was much simpler before you had to ask your insurer and/or lawyer every time want to follow a business oportunity that isn't quite on the mainstream. Perhaps this is all a result of the ever increasing influence of litigation in our once civilised world :?

Insurance or not, I'm not sure I fancy putting a match to a "second grade" firework :D

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Derek Turnbull wrote:I'm not sure I fancy putting a match to a "second grade" firework
- I'm not sure I'd let you... :Naughty:

:D :D :D

Tom
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

An interesting case of buyer beware: At the Wine Club in San Francisco this weekend I saw some Fonseca 1977 of US $49/bottle. Clearly labeled as "buyer beware", and specifically stating that the wine was no longer optimal, but that the establishment still though there was value in it (at that price). The bottles actually looked very much like the rest of the (older) bottles in their port section, with high fills and no signs of seepage.

I did not get any, although I was tempted to try one to see what it was like (I have a single bottle in supposedly pristine condition in my basement). But it made me happy to shop there to know that if they knew there was something wrong they would clearly say so. It also made me nervous in general because the bottles looked fine, in fact very similar to many older bottles I have purchased in the past.

Makes me want to raise the percent premium I might pay for ex cellers bottles :shock:

Jay
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Why? What had happened to the bottles?

Tom
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

For $50.00 I would have grabbed one and tried it just to see if it was still in good condition.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

uncle tom wrote:Why? What had happened to the bottles?
I dont know. I went to pick up some 1999 Niepoort LBV, but was short on time, with an antsy daughter with me who is not a big fan of endless wandering in wine stores. I asked one employee but he did not know. I didn't have time to ask another before I had to leave.
Stuart Chatfield

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

I think port is increasingly "anniversary" led. There was a sudden rush of 66s and 31s for sale this year for those anniversaries, but the time for that has now passed. I suspect those that have bought for investment are holding back now. Thank heavens I'm top-heavy in 77s - a rare vintage that we appreciate but so does the popular concensus of casual buyers. They'll take off soon and hopefully the 66s will calm down.

However much port we few regulars drink, we can't comptere with the 000s of 40-year-olds who were bought our favourite vintage as a one-off present this year. The gradual erosion of old stocks by university colleges and London Clubs must have had a stabilising effect in the past. However, now they are not drinking it they are at least selling it to us. (I'm still enjoying my case of Taylor's '85, bought recently for a token sum, that was found floating in a cellar after the Cambridge floods of a few years ago!)

By the way, Farrs have some halves on Noval '31 at 675
Stuart Chatfield London, England
Michael Kessler

Post by Michael Kessler »

Jay Powers wrote:An interesting case of buyer beware: At the Wine Club in San Francisco this weekend I saw some Fonseca 1977 of US $49/bottle. Clearly labeled as "buyer beware", and specifically stating that the wine was no longer optimal, but that the establishment still though there was value in it (at that price). The bottles actually looked very much like the rest of the (older) bottles in their port section, with high fills and no signs of seepage.

I did not get any, although I was tempted to try one to see what it was like (I have a single bottle in supposedly pristine condition in my basement). But it made me happy to shop there to know that if they knew there was something wrong they would clearly say so. It also made me nervous in general because the bottles looked fine, in fact very similar to many older bottles I have purchased in the past.

Makes me want to raise the percent premium I might pay for ex cellers bottles :shock:

Jay

I have had nothing but good luck with port values such as those above... case of '97 neiport with some stained capsule lables at $40/btl and the 2 so far have been outstanding, just picked up 6 pristene bottles of Warre's '94 for $48 a btl (supposed distributor close out), 1966 Croft, crummy looking bottles, mid shoulder fill $74 a bottle, just outstanding.

I guess the story could be different if we're talking 100's dollars for these bottles but for under $100, to me it's worth a try...I can remember with remores the $100-$200 a bottle burgundies I poured down the drain because of the tremensous bottle variation...I have yet to discard a port!
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking...
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I said:
I suspect the hammer will fall at around £900 or £950
I was wrong - it sold for just £650

I did a bit of research on the bottle - the bottler, Fearons, DID bottle N31, but only put their name on the capsule, and not the name of the wine - the description of the bottle was identical to other N31's of unquestioned provenance sold earlier this year.

It also had it's level in neck - which is exceptional for a 75yr old bottle - as did one of the other Fearons sold a few months ago.

- I even know who bought the bottle...

...it was me!

Tom
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Tom,

Congratulations on a stunning purchase. You managed to pick up the wine at less than 1/3rd of the current (ridiculous) retail price.

If and when you decide to open it, be sure to let us all know what it tastes like (or save us a sip.....)

On the other hand, if you want to organise an offline at a time of year that suits you and would like to choose a theme of "bring a stunning bottle", then I am sure I might be able to find something suitable.

Alex