A quick thank you!

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

A quick thank you!

Post by Roy Hersh »

FTLOP's website and forum started up in 2005 on July 29th (yesterday) I wanted to thank each and every one of you who particiaptes here ... whether since day 1, or last week ... and we have had unbelievable good fortune to have so many people from around the world participate here to discuss the beverage(s) we love most. :NotWorthy:

Today begins our 8th year of the website/forum and hopefully there will be many more years to come. We at :ftlop: thank you for making this place a worldwide success, one that the Port trade takes seriously and is educational for the rank beginner or discerning Port aficionado, alike.

My sincere thanks to the FTLOP staff members, as this gives me time to reflect on their ongoing contributions and share their significance to those of you who might not be aware of those who are dedicated to FTLOP's success from behind the scenes:

Stewart Todd - co-creator of the website and tech-VP
Andy Velebil - forum moderator extraordinaire
David Spriggs - key program admin & advisor + developer of the TNDB
Mario Ferreira - FTLOP tour partner
Blair Curtis - Canadian correspondent and contributor

Thank you all and I hope to meet up with many of you to share some fine Port or Madeira in the 2nd half of 2012 and with more travel planned for 2013, hopefully next year if not later during this one. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: A quick thank you!

Post by Eric Ifune »

Happy Birthday!!!!
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I just want to thank everyone for the education I have received on here. Many of you have been so gracious in offering your insight, and while I may not post very often, I am trying to soak up everything on here, and I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences. This is a great board. Never any silly fights on here, unlike on other wine boards where I've lurked. The subscription is a tremendous value, also. I can only imagine that the tours are a great value, too. Someday.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

It should be us, the users of this forum, that should be thanking you Roy for this wonderful site. Congratulations on the anniversary, and long may it prosper.

Like Brian I aslo feel that I don't contribute enough, but one day, when I get to spend more time at home in Edmonton, or at least in a place where I can find and drink decent port, I shall make the effort.

Cheers..................Mahmoud.
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Brian C. wrote:I just want to thank everyone for the education I have received on here. Many of you have been so gracious in offering your insight, and while I may not post very often, I am trying to soak up everything on here, and I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences. This is a great board. Never any silly fights on here, unlike on other wine boards where I've lurked. The subscription is a tremendous value, also. I can only imagine that the tours are a great value, too. Someday.
I fully agree, this is the only board I know where you can get tons of information and where everybody is treating everybody with respect, so thank YOU and congrats Roy, Stuart, Andy, David, Mario, Blair and all the others for making this possible!

:thumbsup: , Monique
Shawn Denkler

Post by Shawn Denkler »

Happy Birthday and thanks to everybody for their hard work.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Sandy Becker

Post by Sandy Becker »

Since 'discovering' FTLOP a few years ago, we've made new friends, gone on great tours with Roy and Mario (and Andy, Stewart and David), attended some great tatsings, learned so much from the newsletters and forum discussions ... and added hundreds of bottles to my cellar.

Thanks FTLOP. Happy anniversary and keep up the great work.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Congratulations also from my side!
I had been looking for an independant web site that have serious coverage and forum of ports and Douro wines, and found it in FTLOP.
It has definitely helped me in getting a more and more broader view and depth knowledge of what is happening in that industry in the Douro valley.
The discussions and sharing information are being done in a friendly way, which is not always the case at other wine web sites!
Emmy and I are looking forward to our 3rd consecutive Harvest Tour later this autumn.

Thanks Roy and the helpers that you have around you to keep FTLOP as a vibrant web site incl. having a fantastic Tasting Note Base as a library.
:thumbsup:
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I'd like to echo the sentiments of everybody else. This is a great little online community that's been built here. I've learnt a hell of a lot and it's been great fun. [cheers.gif]

If all goes to plan I'll be up for the 2013 harvest tour.