Aged Tawny

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nick Solga

Aged Tawny

Post by Nick Solga »

I am looking to get suggestions on 10 year old tawny.

I've only had Warres Otima 10 year and like it especially the maple and nutty flavors. I am looking for something more full bodied though in a tawny.

Any suggestions as to which main port house is best at producing a 10 / 20 year tawny?

Also, for an everyday ruby would you elect Fonseca Bin 27 or Six Grapes? Or another not mentioned?

Cheers,

Nick
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

I think you will find the 20 year Otima a big step up (but for more money, of course).

I would also recommend the Ferreira 20 year Duque da Braganca and the 20 year Noval.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

For 10 year tawny I'm a big Niepoort fan.

Jay
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

For 10 yr tawny: Niepoort, Quinta do Noval are two of my fav's.

The Otima 20 yr is a big step up compared to the 10 yr Otima, which I think is very simple and not worth the money (just my :twocents: ) A great 20 year is the Ferreira 20 year Duque da Braganca and the 20 year Quinta do Noval (Marco is right on the money with these 2) and the Niepoort 20 year.

I prefer Six Grapes, and it is my current everyday house port.

Check out the Virtual Tasting Section, we did a tasting of the Bin 27 in April and the results are worth reading.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I agree, I was disappointed with the Otima 10yr - nothing like as good as an old Warre 10yr (bottled in '86) that I finished last night.

Duque de Braganca 20yr impressed me when tasted at the lodge last March.

Tom
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

I have always prefered the Sir William vs. Otima. I think Warre's had not to put out a "cool" product on the 10 yrs market with a serious wine as Sir William elaborated since so long. Personal picks for 10 yrs: Quinta da Ervamoira (looks older with that complexity), Martinez and Niepoort.
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

i agree with andy,niepoort and noval 10yrs. are my all time favorite tawny. :twocents: :blah:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have touted the Duque de Braganca by Ferreira ever since I could get onto wine websites. I have only had a few Tawnies with more complexity and all of those were Colheitas.

Sandeman offers great value in 10 year old and don't forget about Quinta do Portal. Vista Alegre's 30 year old rocks too and Taylor 40 year old is always a welcome treat.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

10 year Tawny

Post by Moses Botbol »

Taylor 10 year is a good tawny. A smokiness to the flavor profile I enjoy. The Noval and Nieport I cannot comment on, but I am sure are good also.