Estimating the longevity of declared and undeclared vintages

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Owlett

Estimating the longevity of declared and undeclared vintages

Post by John Owlett »

There is allegedly a tradition of laying down a pipe of port for a newborn. Now that is no way to encourage responsible drinking -- even if you use the traditional Queen Anne pipe of 126 wine gallons, that is 630 bottles -- but a case does seem like a good idea. And I have grandchildren born in 2000 and 2004.

In a good year like 2000, my understanding is that any of Roy's top two tiers of port producers will be able to blend a wine capable of lasting 30 to 40 years. But some will be fading then, while others will go on to 50 or even 80 years. Is there any way of estimating which will last, so that my granddaughter can continue drinking a bottle on special occasions well into middle age?

In an undeclared year like 2004, I can well understand that there might not be the raw material needed to blend a long lasting port. What is the longevity history of the single quinta wines and junior blends produced in these years?

Would I be helped in a quest for longevity by laying down magnums?
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Hi John, what a nice way to celebrate each year with one bottle of our birthday vintage.

Firstly, yes Magnums do give you extended time. The wine ages slower in the magnum than in the bottle.

My top from 2000 are in any order : Noval, Niepoort, Fonseca, Qta do Vesuvio, Taylor and Graham. These will easily age for 30-40 years.

For the single quinta Port, normally they are drinking good between 15 and 20 years for the best ones and easily ready after 10 years for the second tier.

I've only tasted one barrel sample of 2004 Port yet, it was the Graham's Malvedos and I was really surprised with the concentration and fruit purity it had delivred. I'd recommend it without any hesitation.

Now I just hope the kids will like to drink port and will not look to sell these in 20 years as so many are doing :cry:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

John,

I was lucky enough to be the beneficiary of exactly what you described - I was born in 1963 and my grandparents bought me a case of Taylors VP from the year and stored it carefully with a wine merchant, before giving me the case and one bottle on my 21st birthday.....with the instructions not to open more than one bottle per year.

I still have a couple of the bottles left and I have done the same thing for my children (1994 and 1995) and for various god children (1991, 1993 - but that's a case of Tokaji and 1999).

For the year 2000, I can't fault Fred's list but I would also add that any of the top tier wines would be good and would be expected to last 30-40 years.

For 2004, I would wait a while before deciding what to buy. There will be plenty of time to read reviews (possibly even taste a few '04s yourself) and then decide what to buy. Malvedos is normally very good and can last - there is at least one person on this forum who has 40 year old Malvedos in his cellar. I would also recommend Vesuvio, Portal and Noval as wines to taste and see if they would be worth buying to keep.

And then, of course, there is also the Noval Naçional wine.....

Alex