TN: Virtual Tasting on 1991 Vintage Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

TN: Virtual Tasting on 1991 Vintage Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've been late on the last 2 VT so this time I'm right on time with my comments and picture of Warre's 1991.

This bottle had is cork still in perfect condition, the color is from reddish ruby color at the center to a fading young tawny on the edge. As I was expecting, the color is fairly light for a Vintage of 15 years of age with much evolution showing on the edge. The nose is quite attractive after 5 hours in the decanter, but not very deep and intense. Showing nice floral tones intermixed with tobacco, sweet exotic woods and dried plums. Medium bodied, not showing huge extraction but finely balanced fruit and spicy flavor on this very sweet low acidity and melted tannins mouthfeeling. Nice balanced and long fruity and nutty finish with tobacco and dried figs as retro. I'll give this wine a 16/20 for its overall balanced especially. It is drinkly superbly right now and I would drink them over the next 10 years.

http://www.frederickblais.com/virtual_t ... G_7150.jpg
http://www.frederickblais.com/virtual_t ... G_7151.jpg
Last edited by Frederick Blais on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

So does Fred's lead mean that we should all be posting pictures of our VP's

If so - please can someone tell me how! :( :(

Alex

PS - great pictures Fred. I love the idea of posting pictures to show the colour of the wine.
Frederick Blais

Alex, it is not an obligation to post pictures of your Port. I just wanted to put to fact that these wines are quickly maturing and I think it is well demonstrated by the color of the port.

I love taking pictures as much as I love Port, I take around 4-5 thousands a year. Now to put it on the Forum, you need firstly to put it somewhere on the net, my are on my website saving at the same time bandwith for Roy. Once on the net, you can use the "IMG" tag from the Forum and paste the URL of your image between the tags.

If you guys want to send me small pictures of your wines mine are 553 X 339 pixels, I'd gladly put them on my website and send you back a link to put it on the Forum.

Cheers
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Stewart is working hard behind the scenes to finish off the new site with some cool additions including a place for you folks to do the upload of photos which will be a seperate and v. cool place on the website. We are just weeks away from launching. Please DO NOT post them here yet.

Sorry Fred!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kurt Wieneke

1991 Dow's VP

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

1991 Dow's Vintage Port
Lots of difficulty with a dried out cork. The nose has the Dow hallmarks of baking spices, plums, liquourice, and baker's chocolate. The palate mirrors the nose but is subdued, and the finish is a little hot. A few days later, things had really fleshed out and integrated, so I think this will benefit from more cellar time. 91+ pts
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

OK, here goes the Cockburn...

Decanted 11.15 am - not much sediment. Rather dull and opaque in the decanter.

First sip - not much bottle stink, berry fruits on the nose. A little sharp on the palate, but that will probably go away. Otherwise a bit light for my liking - lacks substance.

Not greatly encouraged at this stage - lets see how it evolves

More anon..

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I had a look for my note on Gould Campbell 91 and realised it was actually the Graham's that I tasted. So, I am now swithching to CG91 for this tasing. To keep the 91 range as wide as possible here is my note posted previously on the Graham's 91......

On Decanting
Dark purple red with a pink rim. Huge liquorice aroma that (for my nose) is typical Graham's. No heat in the first sip but then the bottle only came out of the cooler 20 minutes ago so still rather cold. Very subdued at this point, again possibly due to temperature.

3 Hours
Slightly cloudy in the glass, probably due to rushed standing/decanting but not enough to spoil. Big strawberry and chocolate smell. Huge burst of fruit followed by cheek sucking tannins then a long dry finish. Mouth feel is very thick, you could almost chew this wine! There is an unmistakeable "young port" smell. I have only picked this up previously on bottles less than 5 years old.

15 Hours
No longer cloudy. A small amount of sediment is lying around the bottom of the decanter so bad decanting was the problem. Young port smell has blown off, now blackcurrant. Strawberry jam taste and tannins seem to have softened considerably. Very smooth now with a long fruity finish. Still no heat showing at any stage. By far the best showing out of the 3 so far.

28 Hours
Soft and smooth blackcurrent but then a slight bitterness and small amount of heat in the finish. Seems to be passed the peak.

54 Hours
Big fruit hit on the nose in the decanter - marzipan in the glass. Chocolate and cherry has returned and mouth feel seems to have become thicker again. No bitterness or heat. Good long finish. Very satisfying.

15 hours was definately the best followed by 54 hours. I can't remember what I had been eating just before the 28 hour tasting but it may explain the blip.

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The Cockburn has exhibited a remarkable evolution in decanter.

3 hours - rough, lean, spirity and lacking in composure. There are elements that suggest the wine is going to have an early decline. I find empathy with Mayson's notes - but I haven't given it much time yet..

13 hours - after entertaining the Yacht clubs of Burnham (firing from a gale swept Wallasea island..) I pour a glass, not expecting much, but am taken aback by the huge improvement. I begin to write a note, but am too tired. I indulge a well filled glass as a nightcap - nectar! - I sleep very well. 8)

27 hours - well composed with good bouquet and palate, but a little fiery. Does not seem quite as good as last night, but I was very tired then.. Youthful.

Rating. In the big wide world of vintage ports, is this ahead of the median? Not really, but not behind either, so for immediate gratification this gets a 5.

Where is it going? I am sure this will benefit from a few extra years, and I have a little more confidence in it's lasting power than I did earlier, but I don't think it will develop very far now. In five years, it should be worthy of a 6.

So my rating for this wine is 5-6

Tom
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

Noval 91.
This wine was a pleasent surprise a deep claret in colour,plenty of grip not to sweet quite plummy and a nice finish.this is a very good port quite forward though for a young one, ready now but may improve the only thing I was upset about was the lack of backbone to stand up to quite a bit of ageing.I would say five years tops at peak.At Tom's ratings 6.5-6.5(7).In my opinion up with the best of 91's
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Gould Campbell 1991
Short cork is mildly annoying and is also the tightest cork I have ever pulled. Staining was hardly 1mm from the base of the cork - surprising for a 16 year old wine.

On Decanting
Very dark young looking purple colour in the decanter. Blackcurrant nose with a little heat. Big fruity entry then very dry tannic burst. Unusual taste of burning wood. Nice long finish that leaves cheeks watering.

+2 Hours
Heat has gone from the nose. Nice fleshy texture with masses of black fruit. Finish long but a bit dry. This is very yummy stuff 8)

Editted to add these notes.....

+4 Hours
No significant change - I can't wait to taste this tomorrow when the tanins die down 8)

+24 Hours
Beautiful fresh blackcurrent nose and a nice chewy texture which is full of fruit. The tanin has started to fade but is still detectable. Finish is long and sweet.

Derek
Last edited by Derek T. on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Note moved to posting above
Last edited by Derek T. on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al B.

Quinta do Vesuvio 1991

Post by Al B. »

Quinta do Vesuvio 1991
Boy, am I glad that I volunteered to open this wine. Its been delicious and its a vintage from Vesuvio that I have not tried before - here's my note.

Back label very informative and full of nice information about the Quinta and the Estate. Apparently 22,000 bottles were shipped of the '91 wine and mine was bottle number seventeen-thousand, two hundred and something. The bottle has been in my posession since shipment to the UK in 1994.

Surprisingly short cork. Wine decanted cleanly off heavy sediment. Clear and bright with a deep rose coloured centre. Gentle smell of blackcurrants during decanting, a smell that I have found typical of Vesuvio.

12 hours
After 12 hours the wine had put on weight and was a darker red with a slight paling towards the rim. No purple of youth, no browning of age evident. On the nose the blackcurrants and vanilla were present with a touch of heat from the spirit. Medium weight into the mouth, not much flavour in the initial impact a touch of dust and nice acidity. In the mouth some complexity developed with gentle stewed red-fruit flavours and whipped cream. Long length of chocolate and the bite of pepper from the spirit in the wine. Tannins soft and very much in the background. A pleasant wine that I estimate will be better in 5 years. 88/100

36 hours
Slightly deeper than at 12 hours, colour now holding into the rim as a very consistent red. Nose with a whiff of spirit and lots of blackcurrants. Well structured fruit on entry with sweet and bitter cherry juice. Bitter cherry complexity develops in the mid-palate with structure and citrus fruit around a dark chocolate core. Long length. Tannins of yesterday have vanished. Much better than yesterday. Clearly a wine for the future, although very good today with enough time in the decanter. 90/100

60 hours
Not a tasting note, but an impression of a glass that I drank while relaxing after a busy day at work. Still extremely enjoyable and probably as good as after 36 hours but just starting to show signs of jamminess. I thought I'd also have a go at a Tom-score for the wine - probably at the median for a youngish VP but with potential to improve, say 5-6

Late Edit - 3½ days after decanting
I had a glass left in the decanter yesterday. The wine was still very good, with lots of fruit, but definitely jammy and starting to show the spirit strongly. Noticeable, however, were that the tannins were back with a vengeance. This has a lovely tannic backbone which should allow for a good few years of development in the bottle.

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Alex highlights some interesting issues -

With Vesuvio, the Sym's may be suffering from what might be termed 'Greene King disease' - a once fine and respected brewer that has sold it's soul to the accountants...

The first economy seems to have been in '91, when they started using short and annoyingly tight corks. Doubtless they are cheaper, but will they stand the test of time...?

Next up was the serial number on the bottle - a nice touch, that makes the bottle seem a bit special, and a good idea, as it costs peanuts in the overall scheme of things...

..but it was scrapped in '96

Now with the '03, the brassware on the case has been replaced with 'weathered' steel, the handle has vanished, as has the date on the case...

Now I'd be be quite happy with slip labels and cardboard cartons, but this smacks of parasitic 'suits' at work - looking for petty economies - when the best economy would be to sack the suit...

Worrying..

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

The same suit must have visited Gould Campbell in 1993 as my bottle had the same short tight style of cork that was in Alex's Vesuvio. I entirely agree that the suit represents the best option for cost savings. However, someone should also look closely at the marketing man who thought it was a good idea to launch a new VP in 1989 (91) with fancy wooden boxes covered in brass fittings with a free gift in every case. We just want good VP, guys, not gimmics that mean we are paying for things we can't drink.

:soapbox:

Derek
Frederick Blais

Just to keep the virtual tasting a bit cleaner because the cork issue is very interesting, you may want to put your thoughts in a previous topic on it.

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... light=cork

:blah:
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

I had a brief sip of the Graham's 1991 today. Nice stuff, I like it very much. The nose does have a touch of mature elements, cigar and earth but is still primary and very fruity. I would not say this is a mature port, but rather one which has just now reached its plateau of drinkability. I think it will keep on improving for 5-10 years or so. The palate was typical Graham's: sweet and prominently red toned (who else apart from Graham's has such a prominent red tone to their fruit?).

Unfortunately it being a tasting, this wasn't decanted, just poured. A nice wine which we (amazingly) have available here. I immediately went out and bought one bottle. I just can't decide whether to drink it now or wait another five years when I think it will be even more to my taste.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Otto Nieminen wrote:I just can't decide whether to drink it now or wait another five years when I think it will be even more to my taste.
Otto,

Go back and buy another bottle and do both :wink:

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dow's 1991 VP

Opened this yesterday at noon, decanted off the sediment and rebottled, as I was taking it to a friend's (and fellow port lover's) house.

The first proper tasting was 2 1/2 hours after decanting.
The color had darkened considerably in that short time. When first decanted it looked like a cheap ruby in color. It was now much darker with only very slight fading at the edge. To me this has that typical Dow's grape/eucalyptis/medicinal smell with some plum in the background. The palate is quite smooth with noticable tannins still protruding. The fruit is starting to show a bit more than at the time of decanting. A bit disjointed at the moment and not very integrated yet (should change with a bit more decanting time). The finish is medium in length with just a touch of non-integrated alcohol (this too should integrate with more time). Interesting, this is not as dry as other Dow's I have had.

Using Tom's score...6-7

Second tasting at 5 hours later.
No noticable change.

22 hours later.
I didn't get back to this until now, due to an unplanned interuption.

A bit darker in color, not much, just a little. The nose is about the same with only the slight bit of alcohol present earlier is gone. Tannis have inegrated very nicely and have smoothed out. Very nice hints of plum, grape, and a slight touch of mint and pepper. The finish has gotten a bit longer. This has integrated much better than the earlier tastings.
I'd give it a 7-7 1/2 now.

If I had to predict, I would say this has about 4-5 more years on the up swing. But I don't think it will hold all that much longer. I think in 10-13 years this will start it's decline. Although very good now and in the near future, I don't think has the backbone to make it another 15+ years.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 1991 Krohns

Post by Jay Powers »

1991 Krohn

From a 375 mL bottle, bottled in 1994. A surprisingly large amount of flakey sediment. Decanted into a 500 mL decanter, which was left open for the first ~6 hours, and closed from then until consumed.

I followed this from right after decanting (just a taste), +10 hours (a small glass), and +34 hours (all the rest!). The aroma is pure fruit with no flowers, with lightly stewed plums dominating. There was a little spirt at first tasting, but this had completely blown off at 34 hours.

At 34 hours, the port is a ruby red, with similar aroma. A little lighter style than many, but good length and quite tasty. This is a pretty good port, which is good value for a VP (if you can find it). I enjoyed it enough to finish the bottle in one night. The plummy aroma comes through in the taste, but in a good sense only (I'm not a fan of stewed fruit at all, but somehow this one works). I think this one is still improving, but is unlikely to last as long as many. Good for drinking now.

Rating: Very good
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

So halfway through the month, we have had tasting notes posted for the following wines - a very good show, I think:

Cockburn
Dow
Gould Campbell
Grahams
Krohn
Noval
Vesuvio
Warre