TN: Virtual Tasting on 1991 Vintage Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

toronto_norm

Post by toronto_norm »

Just pasting my notes on the '91 Graham's that I posted on the forum:

A wine opened to celebrate the birth of my daughter a few months ago. Full-bodied, sweet but not overly so and still some youthful tannin. Plums, raisins and a finish that seems to go on forever. I'm sure this was opened a bit young, but still thoroughly enjoyable now, but I'm sure even better in 5 years.... or even in 10.

Cheers,
Norm
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I am late coming here with my 91 Taylor Q d Vargellas, opened earlier this month to note the passing of our pet dog Moffat who came to live with us from the streets of Fort Worth in 1991. It was a fine port, about 90 points. Lots of fruit and mint on the nose, good mouthfeel and nice finish.
We miss the old girl Moffat but she was really old feeble and over the hill.
The 91 qdv has lots of life left and could eventually live up to its Rp 95 rating.
Richard Henderson
Thomas McColl

Pocas 91

Post by Thomas McColl »

From a half bottle. The cork smelled musty and looked mouldy on the outside, so I was relieved that the wine had a very pleasant smell when opened and decanted. Reddish-brown color. I had a glass after about six hours. I could smell fruit and spirit. A smooth mouth feel. Nice deep fruit, blueberries and cinnamon, the tannins well integrated, and a good after-taste. Maybe not the most earth-shattering or subtile drink, but very satisfying, and there are three distinct taste phases that flow into each other. I liked it more than either the Dow '87 Quinta do Bonfim or the Champalimaud '89 I have had recently.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Its really interesting to see a Poças tasting note posted. This is a shipper I have never tried and I was interested to see the report.

Thanks Thomas!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Poças make some really nice Port. I've have tasted many and both tawnies and Vintage Port are good. The 2000 VP was my best QPR of them all. There is not as much fame or hype associated to this product as with other big brands, but I do think this is one house to watch for the next coming years especially if they keep their prices as good as they are right now.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Mike McCune
Location: Bothell, Washington, United States of America - USA

1991 Fonseca Guimaerens

Post by Mike McCune »

ok, I was so danged ticked off after writing this the first time (in excrutiating detail) and then accidentally hitting the button on the side of my mouse which wiped out everything I just wrote that I waited until October before coming back to share some highlights including...

Day (evening) 1 - no decanting, poured a glass, real tight of course and no changes, put back in fridge. Color a mix of fading red cherries mixed with strawberries, spirity nose and very little integration. More red fruits than dark ones.

Day 2 (morning) - poured a big port glass full, tried a couple of tiny sips over the course of the day but not budging yet.

Day 3 (morning) - ding ding ding!, we have a winner here now. My son Lucas(7) says it smells like raspberries and a pile of dead strawberries. The tannins are totally integrated and are present but are not grippy. This wine will be sustained primarily by its acidity but also mild tannins (less than I would expect). Extremely enjoyable, I could drink a glass like this every day - I just have to remember to pour it the Night before, not the morning before. It has nice bright expressive red fruits, somewhat complex, with good length and consistencty from nose to palate to finish.

Since I don't decant and drink it all while at peak I can't really translate this into total decanting time... but, if you just pour all your glasses 24 hours ahead and cover to keep bugs out, I promise you will be very happy! 91/100. Its best showing for me and I've been testing this out over the last 4-5 years without nearly the success I had with this last tasting (and another earlier this year). This wine is starting to drink very well now with the right decanting/glass sitting.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks for your diligence Mike. I had a similar thing happen where I was in the midst of an article (two hours into it) and was on wifi in my house and my battery on the computer went out with no notice and I lost everything.

Well, we have actually touched on a dozen producers from the 1991 vintage with this tasting note. You guys are doing well, now if you'd only seek out a 1994 Colheita to include! :lol:

Cockburn
Croft
Dow
Fonseca Guimaraens
Gould Campbell
Grahams
Krohn
Noval
Pocas
Taylor Q do Vargellas
Vesuvio
Warre

1991 Croft Vintage Port – Nearly opaque magenta color. Decanted 9 hours, this delivered scents of fresh cut flowers, plum and a hint of cedar. A young and beautifully put together Port with a very smooth approach and dense, chewy prunes, blackberry and chocolate. One of my perennial favorites from the 1991 vintage. All components are so well balanced and the finish is seamless and persistent. The Croft offers tremendous upside potential and will drink beautifully for at least another two decades, although it is already very enjoyable today at 15 years old. 94+ points
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael R.

Pocas 1991

Post by Michael R. »

Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself to this forum with an impression of pocas 1991 which I've tasted last weekend. I purchased the bottle this july in lisboa. It was a recommendation of the salesperson.

What a harmoniously appearance. dark. mellow fruits and a gentle touch of liquorice. just small changes during 8 hours of drinking. It was a very pleasant enjoyment.

greets from vienna
michael
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Michael,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for adding your impression of a 1991 Pocas. This is not a wine that I get to see often so it is useful to be able to read a note.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hello Michael,

We are glad to have you join us here at FOR THE LOVE OF PORT. We look forward to your involvement and hope you'll find this a friendly place to visit!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have or make any type of suggestions or recommendations. You'll find we are pretty open minded.

Thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Michael,

Thanks for deciding to join in the fun here at FTLOP. Thanks for sharing your note of the Pocas.

And a note to all, it is never too late to add a review of a past Virtual Tasting. So please keep all those posts coming.

Andy
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com