What Madeira(s) Have You Purchased Recently?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

What Madeira(s) Have You Purchased Recently?

Post by Mike K. »

Henriques & Henriques Boal 1957.

Bottled 1992. Are there a variety of bottling dates on this wine, or was it all 1992?

As it is labeled Garrafeira, was it aged at H&H for a number of years and released more recently?

Eric Ifune

Re: What Madeira(s) Have You Purchased Recently?

Post by Eric Ifune »

1968 D'Oliveiras Bual. Bottled 2011.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Ifune wrote:1968 D'Oliveiras Bual. Bottled 2011.
Just picked up a bottle as well. Bottled in 2004 for $240.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

From this thread.
Glenn E. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
Eric Ifune wrote:Rare Wine Company Imperial Malmsey by H&H
Love that one! Hard to find, though.
So I post that and think, "hmm, I haven't searched in a while, let's see if there are any out there."

Lo and behold, I find 3 online at... are you sitting down?... $40 each. Needless to say, there are none left now.
These finally arrived! No contact from the store ever. No response to emails, phone never answered, voice mailbox full. Never got the promised email confirmation. Never got the promised tracking information. They were ordered and paid for 2-day shipping so that they would arrive on the Friday after Thanksgiving, so "only" a little over 3 weeks late.

Oh, and they were shipped to my parents' place in Missouri, because that's where we were on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Couldn't re-route because no tracking info.

Oh well, at least it's Madeira and will wait in my parents' basement until the next time I visit.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
These finally arrived! No contact from the store ever. No response to emails, phone never answered, voice mailbox full. Never got the promised email confirmation. Never got the promised tracking information. They were ordered and paid for 2-day shipping so that they would arrive on the Friday after Thanksgiving, so "only" a little over 3 weeks late.

Oh, and they were shipped to my parents' place in Missouri, because that's where we were on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Couldn't re-route because no tracking info.

Oh well, at least it's Madeira and will wait in my parents' basement until the next time I visit.
Please, what retailer so I never do business with them. That's horrible customer service.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:

Please, what retailer so I never do business with them. That's horrible customer service.
Chevalier Fine Wines in Chicago. Yes it was terrible - truly atrocious - customer service, but I was forewarned. Their Yelp reviews are abysmal and indicate all of the problems that I encountered. But to get a $280 bottle of wine for $40, I figured it was worth the risk.

In the end, yes it was worth the risk. I'll just have to arrange to pick the bottles up from Kansas City on some future trip.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Hmmm, Old Malmsey and BBQ. Not a bad combination. :lol:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Got one of the demijohns from Christies at the Liberty Hall sale.
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Eric Ifune wrote:Got one of the demijohns from Christies at the Liberty Hall sale.
Nice score! Waiting for a tasting note... [cheers.gif]
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Eric Ifune wrote:Got one of the demijohns from Christies at the Liberty Hall sale.
Hi Eric, I also got one! What are you planning to do with yours?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Not sure yet. I may ask Francisco Albuquerque if I should keep it in demi or bottle the lot.
Had to try a taste after it was delivered. Very cloudy as would be expected after shipment. Nice aromas. The cork was saturated and I could smell the wine. Fortunately, there was another new cork. Not too austere given the time in glass. Nice balance. I'm thinking Sercial. Just a bit malty and menthol, enough to add complexity and not detract. I'll wait for the sediment to settle before trying it again. Very much in the glass aged Madeira mold.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Did you use any special method to pour the wine from the demijohn? I still haven't had mine delivered - I live in a state with very restrictive wine shipping laws, so it takes awhile to do it right.

I went to the auction in person and had a chance to taste those beforehand; mine (lot #600, miscataloged as Bourbon) also tasted like Sercial.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Just lots of help! 8--)
I only poured out maybe half a bottle to try.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Michael R wrote:Did you use any special method to pour the wine from the demijohn?
For beer and wine in 3, 5, or 6 gallon carboys, I use a siphon rod and hose with a special cap on the end to leave sediment on the bottom. For a smaller demijohn you might be able to pour without issue. And given the precious nature, pour the last bit that has some sediment into a separate small container to settle out again.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

For beer and wine in 3, 5, or 6 gallon carboys, I use a siphon rod and hose with a special cap on the end to leave sediment on the bottom. For a smaller demijohn you might be able to pour without issue. And given the precious nature, pour the last bit that has some sediment into a separate small container to settle out again.
Thanks Eric.
This was my plan. I'm assuming you can get the special cap at a brewing supply house.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Thank you - this is very helpful!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I would just use one of those very long straws, they come in very handy for situations just like this! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As for the H&H 1957 Boal, I have several in my cellar, but the price has increased quite a bit from 2018 (May) to Jan. 2019. Then again, of the 20 Madeiras I am aware of at retail from H&H's shop, almost all have notched up again in the past 8 months.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Roy Hersh wrote:As for the H&H 1957 Boal, I have several in my cellar, but the price has increased quite a bit from 2018 (May) to Jan. 2019. Then again, of the 20 Madeiras I am aware of at retail from H&H's shop, almost all have notched up again in the past 8 months.
Roy, what are the bottling dates on your 57’s?

I’m still wondering if mine has been sitting in a distributors warehouse for 20 years, or did H&H hold it back?
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Justinos Malvazia Colheita 1997 and Justinos 10 year Boal.. I bought many of the Malvazia since the new first-time importer must have calculated a very
wrong price. Note high alcoholic taxes in this country and 25 % VAT.... Other comparable madeiras cost double of this Justinos Malvazia here.

Never seen Justinos any place before, exept I bought and picked up 2 bottles 1933 Malmsey many years ago at a shop in San Fransisco. For my collection only...
Believe it was KL wines....