What Madeira(s) Have You Purchased Recently?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Miguel Simoes

Re: What Madeira(s) Have You Purchased Recently?

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Barry Sunderland wrote: It's darn tasty! Love the Malmsey richness with a super squirt of acidity. Bart Broadbent knocks this one out of the park for the price!
Got 3 more Broadbent 10 yr Malmsey...

I've been chilling it before drinking. Would you advise against doing that?

Seems to reduce the acidity element for me while keeping it refreshing and preserving the midpalate/finish which I do find v tasty.
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

I bought Blandy's 1958 Bual , bottle 121/1.000 bottled 2009 . I have the 1958 ual Cossart Gordan.. Guess it is the same wine bottled much later. Still three bottles left in Norway. Wil try and see what i can get..

Price exactly $ 235 incl. $ 10 "liquid poison"tax and 25% VAT.

Good thing with our goverment state monopoly is that when they buy from a producer, plonk or super expensive stuff like madeiras, they add only a certain percentage of profit for both then the tax then the 25 %.. They don't squeeze more out if the market price is high. So even regular expensive red wine people often buy here, still turn out cheaper than most countries.... Not possible to take it on export and get the VAT back.

Even Norway is superexpensive for hard liquor, it can be cheap on the expensive wines..

Example: Price of Barbeito 1795 T was about $ 1.000 for a few years about 10-12 years ago and they had a yearly quota, which I grabbed. [yahoo.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1977 D'Oliveiras Terrantez. May open it for tonight. Any decanting rec's??
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Barry Sunderland

Post by Barry Sunderland »

Andy Velebil wrote:1977 D'Oliveiras Terrantez. May open it for tonight. Any decanting rec's??
Andy,

What year's bottling?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Barry Sunderland wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:1977 D'Oliveiras Terrantez. May open it for tonight. Any decanting rec's??
Andy,

What year's bottling?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Andy, I usually just open a fairly recently bottled Madeira and let it aerate in the glass. I usually don't consume the whole bottle in one sitting and so recork and save the rest for later.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Got a H&H Grand Old Boal and a Malvasia Reserva.
Barry Sunderland

Eric Ifune wrote:Got a H&H Grand Old Boal and a Malvasia Reserva.
Heritage Auctions?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Saw that lot, it also had the WS I think.
I'm trying to get all of the heavenly quartet. Still need the Sercial.
Barry Sunderland

1920 Barbeito Favilla Viera Malvasia
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Several bottles of D'Oliveira 10 year at $25 and 15 year at $34.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

3 bottles of 1986 Barbeito Faja dos Padres Malvasia. [yahoo.gif]

I have high hopes for these, after visiting Faja dos Padre during the 2010 Fortification Tour. We were not lucky enough to try this one, but we did barrel taste a couple vintages from the 90's. One was very good, and the other excellent, if memory serves.
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

Steve,
You thinking of trying one soon? Would love to hear about it when you do. :-)
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Justin.

I won't have the bottles in hand until the fall, but I can report back then. I am planning to order a few other things, and want to consolidate into one shipment.

I was only going to order two bottles, but was told they only had a couple cases left, and they were going fairly quickly. I'm not sure how much inventory Rare started with, but supposedly they had 4 cases available the day before I called. Rare also mentioned they did not know if more would become available, since there was arm-twisting involved to get this initial release to occur. So I upped my order to 3. If you are interested, I would lock some up this week. My guess is that these are unikely be available in 2 months. I have high confidence in this wine because of the historical significance and quality of Faja dos Padres, this is the nearly extinct and exceptional Malvasia Candida strain, and the positive experience I had tasting other vintages in 2010.

Cheers,

Steve
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

2 x RWC NY Malmsey @ $40
1 x 1916 Barbeito malvazia @ $240
1 x 1937 D'Oliveira's sercial @ $240
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Steve Pollack wrote:Justin.

I won't have the bottles in hand until the fall, but I can report back then. I am planning to order a few other things, and want to consolidate into one shipment.

I was only going to order two bottles, but was told they only had a couple cases left, and they were going fairly quickly. I'm not sure how much inventory Rare started with, but supposedly they had 4 cases available the day before I called. Rare also mentioned they did not know if more would become available, since there was arm-twisting involved to get this initial release to occur. So I upped my order to 3. If you are interested, I would lock some up this week. My guess is that these are unikely be available in 2 months. I have high confidence in this wine because of the historical significance and quality of Faja dos Padres, this is the nearly extinct and exceptional Malvasia Candida strain, and the positive experience I had tasting other vintages in 2010.

Cheers,

Steve
As of this morning the RWC web site shows 5 bottles in stock.
Barry Sunderland

'71 D'Oly Terrantez
'88 D'Oly Terrantez
H&H Inauguration ('08 bottling)
Daniel Fraley

Post by Daniel Fraley »

Gary Banker wrote:
Looks to be sold out now! A question about this vintage... RWC's newsletter said a lone vine was found on Faja dos Padres and cloned in 1980. If this was harvested in 1986, is that enough time to produce a high quality grape? I'm guessing it would take 2-3 years alone before the clones fruited at all.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Daniel Fraley wrote:
Gary Banker wrote:
Looks to be sold out now! A question about this vintage... RWC's newsletter said a lone vine was found on Faja dos Padres and cloned in 1980. If this was harvested in 1986, is that enough time to produce a high quality grape? I'm guessing it would take 2-3 years alone before the clones fruited at all.
In general, 3ish years is what it takes to get usable fruit, but really over 5 years is all it takes to get fruit that's most of the way there to that of great old vines. It's really diminishing returns on concentration and quality after that point.
-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Daniel Fraley wrote:
Gary Banker wrote:
In general, 3ish years is what it takes to get usable fruit, but really over 5 years is all it takes to get fruit that's most of the way there to that of great old vines. It's really diminishing returns on concentration and quality after that point.
The question is, how long does it take to clone a vine and what is the process for doing so. That does seem like a short time to clone and grow enough vines from one single vine into many. But that is pure speculation as I don't know fully what the cloning process is. All I know is they take a cutting from the mother vine and grow other vines from it. So how many usable cuttings can you take from one single vine in a year? Anyone????

(I'll probably split this into it's own topic very soon).