Funny Smells

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Funny Smells

Post by Derek T. »

I am happy to admit that, although I know what they are and why they occur, I do not think I could detect the difference between Bottle Stink or Corked or Volatile Acidity or That Funny Smell

Could some of our more nasally astute friends please post some sensory descriptions of what these terms mean to them to help me and others understand which fault we are detecting when we smell a wine that isn't quite right.

Thanks

Derek
Otto Nieminen

Re: Funny Smells

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Derek Turnbull wrote:I am happy to admit that, although I know what they are and why they occur, I do not think I could detect the difference between Bottle Stink or Corked or Volatile Acidity or That Funny Smell

Could some of our more nasally astute friends please post some sensory descriptions of what these terms mean to them to help me and others understand which fault we are detecting when we smell a wine that isn't quite right.

Thanks

Derek
Bottle stink to me smells like sewage - go stick your nose down a dirty drain.

Corked to me is like wet cardboard.

VA is like nail polish remover.

No idea what "that funny smell" is. I hope this helps!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek,

Otto really summed it up.

Bottle stink sometimes occurs just after opening a bottle. It usually blows off after the wine has contact with air.

The first really badly corked bottle you have, you will never forget. Think of soaking a pile of cardboard in water for several days, then sticking your nose in the middle of the pile, YUCK!!

Grab a bottle of Madeira, give a good sniff...that is VA!

The funny smell is that strange odor you can't place, but you know it should not be there.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Thanks, Otto and Andy. Corked and VA I can recall smelling in the past but I don't think I have experienced Bottle Stink. Will now know what to look out for.

Sorry, Andy, you guessed wrong - That Funny Smell was the soup that was left in the back of the fridge for too long whilst Jo was in Spain for a few days leaving me in charge of myself :P