Pousada Barão de Forrester in Alijó for sale

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Christian Gollnick

Pousada Barão de Forrester in Alijó for sale

Post by Christian Gollnick »

"Dear Santa, I hope that all is well with you and that you will not experience too much stress over the next weeks. This year I make it very simple and I don't ask you for World Peace or the perfect harvest in the Douro like I did in the last years. This year I settle for one little thing: The Pousada Barão de Forrester in Alijó. As I hear, it has closed in the beginning of November and it might not open again, if nobody buys the property... EUR 1 million are asked for it. Okay, Santa, I understand that this seems to be a large amount, but... it's Christmas. And the EURO might blow up anytime, too... And do you know what? - If you give me this little property, I will donate it! I will donate it to FTLOP - so that our community has finally it's own hang-out in the Douro-Valley! Come on, Santa! I have been very nice this year... I think I deserve a place like that - I think FTLOP deserves a place like that!

Thanks a lot,
Christian

p.s.: Don't worry about the ribbon - you don't need to gift-wrap the building.

On a more serious note: The crisis obviously doesn't distinguish between wealthy and not so wealthy - this hotel, which was supposed to be pretty upscale (unfortunately I have never stayed there) is obviously in financial trouble. We have seen a whole lot of new hotels being opened in the Douro over the last years - so maybe there is now already an over-supply in the market? Considering that 20 years ago there was not even one hotel in the Douro (as far as I know) it's amazing how many places to stay are now available. I really hope that this property will open for the next season - it would be a pity to lose this iconic place.
Here is the link to the newspaper-article:
http://fugas.publico.pt/Noticias/313630 ... o-de-euros
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Pousada Barão de Forrester in Alijó for sale

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management and have worked in some nice hotels in the past. I say, we get 20 people to each put in 60K Euros and buy this property, and have 200k left as working capital. [friends.gif] Like dreaming of a white Christmas!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

i spent a weekend at the pousada, maybe in 2002. very pleasant but a bit run down at the time. i'm in Christian, vamos set up a company based in Cayman and buy it!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Seems like a steal at that price, but you will have to invest in some upgrades. TripAdvisor agrees with Daniel:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... tugal.html
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management and have worked in some nice hotels in the past. I say, we get 20 people to each put in 60K Euros and buy this property, and have 200k left as working capital. [friends.gif] Like dreaming of a white Christmas!
Is there any real interest in doing this?

Wouldn't it be great to have the FTLOP hotel in the Duoro!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I thought we were saving up to buy that huge hole in the ground across the street from the Weise & Krohn lodge! :drunk:
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

When do we need to put our money in? :-)
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Christian , your heart is definitely in the right place :winepour:

BTW when was the last time their was snow in the Cayman Islands ?
We just got 45 cm dumped on us in 12 hours .

Les joies de l'hiver :wink: :winebath:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management
So do I. See, we have a management team already. :wink:
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronald Wortel wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:I have a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management
So do I. See, we have a management team already. :wink:
I have a degree in hotel drinking. Now we've got a real management team! [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As long as we don't let Andy cook, we won't be scaring away any of the guests!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'll cook. Do you think we can put a brewery on the property too?
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

I know that our hotel will have the best wine-cellar EVER... We might spend $100k to remodel the hotel - but we will spend at least ten times more to re-stock the wine-cellar...
On the other side, my big fear is that there might be too many Americans involved in our hotel project. Within a few weeks Alijo will look like an amusement-park... It will be called "Euro-Vegas". There will be tons of neon-signs with "BEST TAWNY IN TOWN" and "COLHEITAS 50% OFF - ONLY HERE" and "DRIVE-THROUGH VINTAGE SHOP". In the hotel garden there will be an attraction "Wine-Splash-Mountain" where visitors sitting in old barrels will be pushed down into a lake of cheap Spanish red wine...
The Douro will never be the same...

[cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I can help Eric cook. I'm also a PMI-certified Project Management Professional, in case we need to undertake any property improvement projects. [cheers.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Christian Gollnick wrote:I know that our hotel will have the best wine-cellar EVER... We might spend $100k to remodel the hotel - but we will spend at least ten times more to re-stock the wine-cellar...
I will trade beer brewed for Port. I know at least Oscar will take me up on this.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Christian,

I believe everything you say above, about the American involvement! [friends.gif]

However, it will also be because of "us" Americans, that the wine cellar and wine list and especially, the Port holdings ... will be so damn good! [dance2.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Christian Gollnick wrote:I know that our hotel will have the best wine-cellar EVER... We might spend $100k to remodel the hotel - but we will spend at least ten times more to re-stock the wine-cellar...
On the other side, my big fear is that there might be too many Americans involved in our hotel project. Within a few weeks Alijo will look like an amusement-park... It will be called "Euro-Vegas". There will be tons of neon-signs with "BEST TAWNY IN TOWN" and "COLHEITAS 50% OFF - ONLY HERE" and "DRIVE-THROUGH VINTAGE SHOP". In the hotel garden there will be an attraction "Wine-Splash-Mountain" where visitors sitting in old barrels will be pushed down into a lake of cheap Spanish red wine...
The Douro will never be the same...

[cheers.gif]
You forgot about the free gun for every two cases of Port you buy [berserker.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:As long as we don't let Andy cook, we won't be scaring away any of the guests!
Hey, I make one mean bowl of cereal :lol: