On The Harvest Trip

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

On The Harvest Trip

Post by Derek T. »

Is anyone there yet? Come on guys, give us some tales of drinking 30 glasses of port in 2 hours and being poured a 300 year old Colheita at Neipoort :P

42 hours to go and Alex and I should be joining you in the Crasto Lagare, providing Alex is brave enough to get his feet wet :?

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well, you missed the horizontal tasting of 1994 vs. 2004 with the Symington Family which was pretty amazing, a deep tasting of wines at Ramos Pinto including 1983 Vintage Ports made from individual grapes (just to prove to Uncle Tom that I DO know what I am talking about ... when he said he did not think such a thing existed). :lol:

We have had a visit to Vinologia and Avepod shops. So far we have seen Calem, Vasconcellos, Kopke, Sandeman, Ramos Pinto, Niepoort, The Symington Family and that is just in Gaia.

Then there have been Colheitas from the 1930s, 1950s and 1890s ... but I do not want to torture you with more details for now. After lunch today we are off to the Douro to stomp on grapes. Hurry up before you miss out on the fun!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

While Roy is downstairs at Avepod, i will give you my :twocents:

This trip is GREAT this is the best trip I have ever had. Totally amazing. I am sipping a awsome 40 year tawny from Quinta do Mourao that will just knock your socks off :!: :!:

Derek, you should already be in town now, so I shall see you in just a couple of hours.

For the rest of the forum members, this is a trip you should plan on going to next year. We are only the beginning of day 3 and it is just amazing :D :D
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

just to prove to Uncle Tom that I DO know what I am talking about ... when he said he did not think such a thing existed
Ouch! - are you sure that was me??

Not heard of it being done before, but don't recall disputing the fact...

What do they call it? - Porto d'Yquem...?

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Just got back today - don't have the energy for a legthy note now so will jump straight to the overall score - 100, 5*, 10-10, 20/20 Wow-Wow - pick whichever scoring system suits - this trip was unbeatable :D :D :D

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote:Just got back today - don't have the energy for a legthy note now so will jump straight to the overall score - 100, 5*, 10-10, 20/20 Wow-Wow - pick whichever scoring system suits - this trip was unbeatable :D :D :D

Derek
I just got home tonight and agree with Derek 100%, I don't want to give all the secret details away of what we did. But, I will say it was absolutly amazing and way beyond what I thought possible.

Many thanks to Roy, Mario, and the other members of the trip for a great time!!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

It was a truly amazing trip - I met people and drank wines I have only read about and have some memories that will live with me forever. It was made such a good time by the people I met, the wines I drank and - most of all - the great group who I did all this with.

Can all the guys on the trip please email me their email addresses (and Derek his postal address). I have a spreadsheet of purchases and amounts owed to send out to everyone and would like to do this sooner rather than later.

But to Roy and Mario - thank you! That was an astonishing three days and an incredible finale on Friday night!

Alex

Any casualities

Post by Guest »

Any wine casulties on the way home? Hope everyone's wines made it home safe and sound.

My new additions were safely added to my cellar this morning.

:lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mine all made it home safely, but I think Eric had a casulty. As there was a smell of Douro grapes coming from his bag.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Only one casualty for me - my liver :?

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Mine all made it home safely, 3 in the hold and the 3 most precious in hand luggage.

Derek, apparently, also managed to bring home part of a bunch of grapes!

My only casualty is that I can't look at a bottle of port at the moment, just makes my stomach turn when I think of more port. :oops:

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

....they are in the freezer :D
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Mine all got home with me, intact!

Jay
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

No problems for me. All of my wines arrived just fine.

-Dave-
Eric Duprey
Location: West New York, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric Duprey »

I am pleased to report that I didn't lose a single bottle! When I picked up my luggage it was soaked and smelled of wine and I was a bit worried. When I got home it turned out that someone else must have lost a Douro white, and it all seeped into my luggage as well. So thankfully, no broken bottles and minimal staining. But some poor traveller had a big mess to deal with...

On the whole, the trip was absolutely astonishing, but right now I can't even look at a bottle of wine or eat anything but the blandest of foods. Talk about overindulgence! It will take a week or two for me to fully recover, I think!

I was really impressed with how graciously the owners/winemakers treated us at every stop. They went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and seemed to genuinely care about connecting with us, the consumers. The meals were fabulous, if a bit overindulgent, and the wine and port flowed freely. I can say that I tried more different ports on this trip than I have had in my entire life, and I learned a great deal!
Eric
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Well, it's my turn to come back from a trip to Portugal. I did try to meet the gang on your day to Vesuvio but unfortunately I did not know that the road to the Quinta by car was that bad. I had to turn back since our car was lacking the 4x4 transmission and also we did not want to push it too much as it was missing the motor oil container cap: the joy of renting a car! Anyway... we did used 3 cars for our trip :oops: and I brought back 16 intact bottles :D and enjoyed a few great meetings with nice tasting. I am a bit jealous of yours of course but my liver is intact at least. :roll:

More details and pictures to come in the following days.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I assume that the bottle I left for you with Maria Teresa, is safe and sound in your possession Fred?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Yes Roy it is, I was about to send you an email about it. Thanks again very much!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Fred,

We did wonder what had happened to you that day - thankfully you made it back safely. Next time, take the train or a boat to Vesuvio - what a wonderful experience it was 8)

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I must admit, that train journey from Pinhao to Vargellas / Vesuvio was quite something. Beautiful and rugged countryside.

Alex