Trellising Methods

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

JasonH

Trellising Methods

Post by JasonH »

I have tried to find this info in all of my reference books and have been unsuccesful.

Could anyone provide the trellising methods of the Douro for port production?

TIA.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Alohaj,

Firstly, welcome to the board. If anyone can help you with such a question, then the people on this Forum are going to be the ones.

Secondly, please could you do us all a favour and go back to your profile and enter in a real name. Its so much easier to "talk" via the Forum if we have a proper name we can use for you.

Then in answer to your specific question, I can only describe what I saw sinec I don't know the technical names. In most of the vineyards we visited, I saw vine rootstock/trunk being grown vertically to a height of about 1½ metres. From this trunk were taken anything from 1-6 shoots which were trained away from the trunk along horizontal wires at heights of roughly ½m, 1m and 1½m. If there were 6 shoots then these were 3 taken out either side; if fewer shoots then they were all taken out on the same side.

Alex