Blandy 1976 Terrantez - worth the price?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jon D

Blandy 1976 Terrantez - worth the price?

Post by Jon D »

I have a friend currently in Copenhagen who has spotted both the Blandy 1976 Terrantez, and the Blandy 20yo Terrantez.

The 1976 is almost 2.5 times more expensive than the 20yo blend.

Considering the 1976 was bottled in 1997 (ie. 21 years in cask), do you all think there's a sufficient difference in quality/character to justify me getting the 1976?

P.S. the asking price for the 1976 is USD 277 (I know it can be bought cheaper in the US/UK, however I don't have any way to buy the cheaper US/UK stock without getting slammed by taxes by Australian Customs).

P.P.S. I have the D'Oliveiras 1977 Terrantez already (much friendlier price).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Blandy 1976 Terrantez - worth the price?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow that is a heavy price to pay. What would the 1988 D'Oliveiras Terrantez cost there? For me, that is the best bargain in young Terrantez, of all bottlings.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jon D

Re: Blandy 1976 Terrantez - worth the price?

Post by Jon D »

The 1976 Blandy seems to be expensive everywhere - cheapest in the USA is $208 excl sales tax. So the Danish price doesn't seem to be too bad, given the famously high Scandinavian taxes...

Unfortunately D'Oliveiras isn't stocked in Copenhagen, otherwise I would have have made my friend pack-mule them back to me instead!

Roy - do you think the D'Oliveiras 1988 is better than the 1977?