November Virtual Tasting : Get a 20 yo Tawny!

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

November Virtual Tasting : Get a 20 yo Tawny!

Post by Frederick Blais »

Please submit your tasting notes about the 20 year old tawny you want to taste this month.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

William Pickering Port

Post by Al B. »

I've read about this wine in a few different places, all have been complimentary so I thought I would give it a go. As far as I can remember, this is my first ever 20 year old tawny.

The front label says
Berry's
William Pickering
Port

A tawny port of the highest quality
Bottled in 2005

Produced and bottled by Quinta do Noval

The back label talks about Berry's and then casually mentiones that this is a tawny port aged in oak barrels for 20 years in the cellars of Quinta do Noval. It is the Berry's own label tawny and cost me £23.

Here is my tasting note taken after 2 hours in the decanter (during which time it improved considerably, with the alcohol integrating completely. It was pretty off-putting straight after opening).

In the glass it is a beautiful, rich, clear, golden-brown colour. Sparkling in its clarity. On the nose it was a warm and rich smell of caramel and oranges, a smell that simply reached out of the glass as it was standing on the table next to me as I typed. A swirl and a sniff with my nose buried in the glass was overpowering, releasing too much alcohol, but underneath the alcohol was an very attractive smell of raisins and cinnamon.

A sip, surprisingly this was not sweet initially and then it seemed to thicken in the mouth. The fruit and acidity arrived at the same time and my mouth just started to water like mad. The fruit is plentiful, raisins and figs along with the characteristic brown sugar of an aged tawny. I held it in my mouth as long as I could but then it seemed to slip down my throat without my swallowing. Oh this is smooth and lovely!

An initial burn on the aftertaste as the spirit surges through. Then this fades to be replaced by a curiously subdued but very long range of flavours, including burnt toast and hot marshmallows. The length is incredibly long and teases you all the time. You thinks its finished, reach out to take another sip and then - whoosh - it comes rushing back.

Quite a stunning wine, all told. If you like tawnies, then this is one I would really recommend. It is excellent.

However, tawnies are not my style of first choice. I'm delighted to have tried this and will enjoy finishing the bottle off over the next few days, but if I am to spend £23 on a bottle of wine, personally, I will spend it on a bottle of Vargellas or Malvedos and mature that for 20 years in my cellars.

But this is an excellent wine. On the 100 point scale I would put this at 95. On Tom's scale this is in the top quartile, but not in the top 5% of wines I have tasted this year, so I give it a 9-9. I'm assuming that it won't improve or deteriorate significantly in the bottle over the next few years.

And my final comment - I've not taken another sip since that paragraph above and I've typed all this since - and that aftertaste is still with me. And so is the sugar on my lips.

Gosh!

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frederick Blais

Thank you Alex, this is really impressive detailed notes.
Frederick Blais

Ramos Pinto 20 years old Tawny

I did had this wine on many occasion in recent years, but I don't know why I had always preferred the 10 years old from Ramos Pinto to the 20. This time the 20 yr just blew me away! Is this the same bottling they are sending to Canada ? :lol:

Superbly intense and complex nose of toffee, nutmeg and cinnamon. I just crave nutmeg in tawnies. The palate is as complex displaying zesty acidy to cut trough the sugary texture to give layers of intense and precise flavours of orange peel, candied fruits and dried nuts leading to a lingering finale of spices. To add more, this Port as an impressive and long after taste of toffee. In my absolute rating system I give this a 18,5/20 but probably worth a 20/20 perfect score for a 20 year old tawny.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

This is an old TN from January, that I thought would be interesting to re-post, since it is a producer that is not commonly seen.

Quinta de Baldias 20YOT

I was a bit afraid this would not be too good, because of it's long time in bottle (bottled 2002, bought in 2003 - sort of a forgotten bottle...), but no need to worry, it was still great.

Very dark for a 20YOT. Nutty nose with good freshness (citrus peel) and raisins. Not alcoholic at all.

On the palate it is again very nutty and a bit smokey. Also some chocolate and crusted almonds and again some citrus. Initially a bit sharp and bitter on the finish, but some air really smoothened things out. Medium sweet, medium bodied and certainly lovely. 90 points.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Taylor Fladgate 20 year Tawny

Very much lighter in color than it's 10 year counterpart. Carmel color with a tinge of orange. Still has a touch of fruit present on the palate, with toffee, a touch of oak present and a meduim length finish. This seemed a bit simple to make it a top notch 20 yr tawny.

Overall, a decent 20 year tawny to which I gave it 89-90 points, however, there are much better 20 years for a few dollars more.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

While celebrating our daughter's 4th birthday, we took a friend up on their suggestion to stop into the Grand California Hotel (at Disneyland) for their great kids storytelling time. Next door to this beautifully appointed room, replete with fireplace and many young kids with parents, there was a bar area off of the main lobby that had a terrific wine list by the glass. I was very skeptical of the 1970 Dow @ $38 per glass (I paid less for the majority of my bottles) and went with:

Graham's 20 year old Tawny Port - This reminded me of why I rarely buy Port of any kind at a restaurant or bar. It was not a bad bottle of Port and there was certainly LOTS of business being transacted at this bar. But maybe because it is in sunny So CA that folks don't normally drink Ports. There were about 25 wines available by the glass here and plenty of winners. This was a $9.50 per glass (2 oz.) pour which given the venue did not seem that crazy. I could not really tell the color as the lighting was a bit dark in the story telling room, as it had been in the bar area too. The nose seemed just fine with a walnut essence and a bit of cherry pipe tobacco too. On the palate the flavors were of prune and praline with enough evolution that this showed like a 20 year old. But I could tell that this was not as fresh as it probably had been when the bottle was opened. I can only assume that there had been weeks of air time in the bottle since it was detectable as soon as I started to sip. My wife urged me to return it, but I didn't want to "get started" and the hassle was not worth it. I drank up, still mostly enjoyable but no where near what it should have been. I wonder how many folks get a glass like this and say to themselves: "this is it?" Anyway, I am sure I'll be having at least one more 20 year old before the month is up.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,

I've been to that bar numerous times and I don't get Port there anymore for the same reason. Unless I know it is a fresh bottle and watch the bartender open it. However, for a fresh glass of Sandeman 20 year I have no problems at the Vineyard Room (tasting bar) inside of the California Adventure theme park (part of Disneyland, for those unfamillar).
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Tip for Roy:

Next time you go to Disneyland, get a Big Mac and Coke like everyone else :wink:

Andy, I've had this picture in my mind that you are a rough & tough LAPD officer who spends his time driving vice out of the Stae of California - I'm slightly disapointed to find that you spend most of your time patroling bars in Disneyland :?

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

But they got Port there :winebath: and besides someone has to keep all that Port safe :evil:

Not to get off track here, but there are not many places (that cater to the masses) here in So. Cal. where one can find a 20 year tawny, or any other Port for that matter, on tap
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

I actually had lunch there and noticed the three Sandeman Port tasting flight with the 20 year Tawny, Founder's Reserve and 2000 LBV. Not bad for $10 if I remember correctly, even if the thimble sized glasses probably only had 1.25 oz. pours of each.

Anyway, I was speaking to one of two women who had just enjoyed the flight and said she loved it but did not like the Tawny Port as it tasted too old. It must be CA! :D

We really wanted to dine at the top notch restaurant they had at that part of CA adventure, but wound up at the Ital place. Pathetic little wine list and almost an embarrassment if you ask me. My ONLY regret on this trip is that we did not have a babysitter which would have enabled Dorene and me to dine at the fabulous Napa Rose in the aforementioned hotel. It looked great and I have heard their wine list is exceptional. Next time for sure!.

It was great seeing you while in CA.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

How strict are we about the date of tasting? I ordered a Sandeman 20 YO (which I remember I rather liked in a tasting recently), but as it is from the "special" selection of our monopoly, I can't get it immediately. It might go until December until I taste it - hopefully not too late for this excerice?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Otto,
I'm not Fred, but its never too late to add a tasting note. The more notes the better :D
Frederick Blais

There is no strick date as Andy points out. This topic will always be available to add more of the same subject.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

A late entry...

Warre's Otima 20 Yr Old

Served chilled - a toffee nose and a lovely thick texture. Very smooth and sweet with butterscotch and walnuts. No heat at all. Finish is long and warming leaving the cheeks watering and wanting more. Much better than the Otima 10 Yr Old.

Overall I enjoyed this wine but I can't help thinking it is overpriced, especially in a 500ml bottle with a 750ml price tag:?

Derek