Special Occasion Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Special Occasion Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

We all have at least one special bottle of Port that we are holding onto for a special occasion. What is the bottle you are waiting to open and what is the occasion?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gerwin de Graaf

Re: Special Occasion Port

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

I have a couple of those.

One of them is my Magnum of Graham's 1977 VP, which is awaiting my wife's 50th birthday in 2027.

Another is Sandeman 1945 VP, to be opened at my dad's 69th birthday later this year (and hopefully one again at my dad's 75 birthday).
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Two bottles of 1955 Burmester Colheita, bottled in 1973.

Will be opening them in just under a year's time, when my second boy turns 1.

A bit of a crap shoot, will have some backup plan should they be corked or otherwise unpleasant to drink...
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I don't have too many earmarked for special occasions.
I have the 74 Kopke Colheita that I'll open later this year when I turn 40.
I've got a 66 Taylors VP which I will open for a friend's 50th in a couple of years.
And I'll no doubt open one of my 77s (either a Warres, Smith Woodhouse or Gould Campbell) when my brother hits 40 in a bit under 4 years.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have two 375 ml bottles of 1938 Kopke Colheita for my Dad's 75th birthday celebration. He and Mom are splitting the difference between their birthdays for the party. Her's is late this year, and I've looked high and low for something from 1939 but I just can't find anything that I think is worth the risk (and the stratospheric price).

I also have a 1964 Noval Nacional that I will probably save for my retirement party, or maybe my 60th or 65th birthday. The 1964 Graham's Malvedos, 1964 Fonseca Guimaraens, and 1964 Taylor's Vargellas are lined up for other "round number" birthdays, starting with this year's 50th.

Then there's my stock of other 1964 Ports, the bulk of which are Noval Colheitas, Krohn White Colheitas, and Pocas Colheitas. But I also have a Warre Grande Reserve and a small number of Dow's Reserves (both actually Colheitas). I drink one each year for my birthday.

That's about it for me... pretty much everything else is available to drink any time, or as a group (1985 horizontal, Roy's Top 12 VPs).
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The first three I think of:

1994 Vesuvio - Foot locker is just too pretty to drink a bottle from. Will have to be a big occasion for me to take the first child.

1977 Taylor 3L - Size of bottle limits my opportunities and I had one a couple of years ago.

1853 Whitwhams - Oldest bottles I have and I have only a few. Will only open for someone who is really into port like those reading this.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote:1994 Vesuvio - Foot locker is just too pretty to drink a bottle from. Will have to be a big occasion for me to take the first child.
Those are tough. Luckily I have other bottles of 1994 that aren't in foot lockers. But I did break the first bottle out of my 1998 locker.

For me, I've got lots of 1997s for anniversary celebrations. The two Noval Nacionals will probably be for our 25th and 50th.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Forgot to mention the 11 remaining G70 I have. Those are destined for Thanksgiving and Xmas for years to come.

Been holding off on buying older bottles as I have enough "special occasion" bottles to last me a while... and other than special occasions, will try to hold off on opening the real good stuff.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I've got a couple '92 Warre's SQVPs for the next couple birthdays for my brother, my last '83 Noval Nacional, which will hopefully be part of a vertical someday, but that's about it. Not saying I'd open the rest of my nicer bottles on a whim, but their fair game if an opportunity arises.
-Brad

Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn E. wrote:I also have a 1964 Noval Nacional that I will probably save for my retirement party
Be sure to let me know when to book my flight :wink:

I am sure there is a 1965 port waiting for me on a special occasion but it never seems to get any closer :roll:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I did have 43 "special occasion" bottles that I had collected over about 20 years and which I was holding to open to celebrate my 50th birthday.

And that's exactly what I did last year!

Now I'm not really sure what bottles I'd call my special occasion bottles - maybe the Warre 1977 Tappit Hen that I have left (I opened one on my birthday - it was the perfect size bottle for 8 people to drink after a dinner when we consumed each 15 glasses of vintage port). I've got a handful of 19th century or early 20th century bottles, but I try to open one a year to share with fellow port lovers (last year it was a bottle of 1858 Hatch Mansfield opened at our Christmas offline).
Maurice Fitzhugh

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

I have a 1931 Quinta do Noval and 1890 Antonio Jose Da Silva that will be opened on my 60th birthday if I make it to then. Come on 2020.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've got a 3L of 2011 Graham's that will be for a very special occasion. What exactly that is, I'm not sure at this point. But it will need to be special to open that bottle.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Maurice Fitzhugh wrote:I have a 1931 Quinta do Noval and 1890 Antonio Jose Da Silva that will be opened on my 60th birthday if I make it to then. Come on 2020.
When exactly in 2020 should I be there [friends.gif] :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Maurice Fitzhugh

It will be in March
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

Nothing. I am 70 in a few weeks and have stopped buying VP for myself. I will open a VP then, but have not decided what. I have nothing exceptional, only back about 30 years. Not a lot of point in looking ahead another 30 years or thereabouts and deciding what I think I might like then. I will still be alive, but maybe not doing much kisking. Was that almost a Freudian slip?

I have been buying VP only for my son (31) and his son (1 y.o.) for about 5 years now and will continue to do so. Some previous owner of the quinta built an excellent cellar/wine making room so storage is not a problem and transport later will be up to them.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan McDonald wrote:
I have been buying VP only for my son (31) and his son (1 y.o.) for about 5 years now and will continue to do so. Some previous owner of the quinta built an excellent cellar/wine making room so storage is not a problem and transport later will be up to them.
Nice!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Maurice Fitzhugh wrote:I have a 1931 Quinta do Noval and 1890 Antonio Jose Da Silva that will be opened on my 60th birthday if I make it to then. Come on 2020.
When exactly in 2020 should I be there [friends.gif] :mrgreen:
Me too! [friends.gif] [beg.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Maurice Fitzhugh

That make you Andy and Roy should be a good time
Blair Curtis

Post by Blair Curtis »

Andy Velebil wrote:I've got a 3L of 2011 Graham's that will be for a very special occasion. What exactly that is, I'm not sure at this point. But it will need to be special to open that bottle.
Hey Andy,

I got a 3L of 2011 Fonseca...let me know when you are REAL thirsty and we'll get together! [cheers.gif]

Cheers,
Blair
Cheers, B.