Top 10 hotels for wine lovers

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John F. Newman

Top 10 hotels for wine lovers

Post by John F. Newman »

Palace in Buçaco made the list on behalf of Portugal.

http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/0 ... lovers/10/
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Top 10 hotels for wine lovers

Post by Andy Velebil »

Wow, that's an amazing looking hotel.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

And the rooms are cheap in March. I also read reviews on TripAdvisor, which suggest the rooms are dated and some could use some better cleaning (e.g. mold on the bathroom ceiling). I'd still want to stay for a day or two just to experience the whole place, but I probably wouldn't want to stay longer than that.
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

Eric Menchen wrote:And the rooms are cheap in March. I also read reviews on TripAdvisor, which suggest the rooms are dated and some could use some better cleaning (e.g. mold on the bathroom ceiling). I'd still want to stay for a day or two just to experience the whole place, but I probably wouldn't want to stay longer than that.
I went to their website and the affordable rooms looked pretty small and just ok, but prices in June were not that bad either.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Yeah, I don't think you're paying for the room. You're paying for the lobby, the gardens ... If the rooms matched, they would easily go for twice as much.
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I've heard that the wines of Buçaco are supposed to be phenomenal, and you can't get them stateside. A night there would be worth it just for the experience of trying something from their cellar, I would think. Anybody here ever try any of these wines?
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

Read the thread about Buçaco 2001.

I have promoted this hotel to all and sundry since we were there when looking to move here, but it seems it is not the place it was. Hopefully the wines are. It is just over 100years old and shows it. The room we had was enormous, with a separate lounge area and huge bathroom, but not flash and modern. Dampness was certainly evident, but expected.

Tourist buses descend upon the palace in droves, just for the historic interest. It really is a most fascinating estate. It is, of course, most famous for Wellington's first defeat of Napolean's forces in the Iberian Peninsula Campaign. There are many religious connections too, and one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. I will never divulge it, but if anyone goes there, they must visit the little chapel and explore it thoroughly.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan McDonald wrote: I will never divulge it, but if anyone goes there, they must visit the little chapel and explore it thoroughly.
Alan,
you can't toss something like that out there without giving us more details. We are a curious lot :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

Andy Velebil wrote:you can't toss something like that out there without giving us more details. We are a curious lot :lol:
I would not normally be so furtive, but please believe me when I say that it is something one has to experience without knowing it is there. If I told you, it would absolutely ruin it for anyone who read it before visiting. I still think it is worth going even if the food is terrible, the roof leaks and you are sleeping on the floor. Wellington did not have it much better the night before the battle - and you can see the room he occupied in the monastery. An interesting point, the monks insulated the walls of their cells with cork.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

SPOILER ALERT: They've kept a piece of Beef Wellington cryogenically frozen since the night prior to the battle. It is worth seeing for sure. [shok.gif]

[foilhat.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything... Did it have to do with the shrine to Our Lady?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

Come on fellas, I have lived in Portugal for 11 years (since about one month after first visting the country) and I know that it absolutely must have your dourist dollars. You have to come and see it for yourself. Please, please, come and visit. Do not go to the usual tourist spots of Vila Nova do Gaia or the Algarve, visit the real Portugal. I will even let you visit me - you are welconme to see the property, my large but immodest cellar, and sample just about anything in there, but you eat and sleep elsewhere because I do not have people staying in my house. My wife and I enjoy each other's company.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

[quote="Alan McDonald but you eat and sleep elsewhere because I do not have people staying in my house. My wife and I enjoy each other's company.[/quote]
No worries about staying in the house, I'll be happy to sleep in the cellar. I promise all bottles will stay firmly corked....well most anyways :lol:
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

The lagar would be a safe place for you. No risk of falling out when you turn over no matter how many bottles you have uncorked.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan McDonald wrote:The lagar would be a safe place for you. No risk of falling out when you turn over no matter how many bottles you have uncorked.
I hope it's empty. Wouldn't want to drown...then again, what a legendary way to go out [rotfl.gif]
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Hi
I know the area well, almost every time I go to PT, I make the stop at those gardens and to near by Luso (natural spring water), had a nice coffee from the balcony overlooking the gardens.. never occurred to me to look at the wine list of the restaurant. I always felt that place would be a tourist trap desperately needing a refresh/updating or even simple up-keeping but maybe worth a closer look next time.

cheers
Paul