How long has it been since you've ordered Port in a restaurant?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

How long has it been since you've ordered Port in a restaurant?

In the past month
41%
Since the beginning of 2014
19%
Sometime during 2013
19%
So long ago, I can't remember exactly
22%

Total votes: 27

Allan Engelsted Laurents

Re: How long has it been since you've ordered Port in a restaurant?

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Hi Andy
I am not used to describe tastes in port.
But Maby it was a mistake to open the 1920 next to the Cockburns.

I have had the Cockburns a couple of times, and that is a certain and for sure a good vine. And if the second bottle had stayed in the Wine fridge. I am sure, that I would have Described the Cockburn as fantastic.

But the Borges Junco was simply one of the Best Ports I've ever had. Smooth, soft and still full of life. The color was like caramell. I was very happy to open the bottle, and I am sure, that my uncle enjoyed it aswell.

Lately I have discovered, that 1 bottle is not enough for 4 people... So I Allways open 2 :lol:
Allan
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:Hi Andy
I am not used to describe tastes in port.
But Maby it was a mistake to open the 1920 next to the Cockburns.

I have had the Cockburns a couple of times, and that is a certain and for sure a good vine. And if the second bottle had stayed in the Wine fridge. I am sure, that I would have Described the Cockburn as fantastic.

But the Borges Junco was simply one of the Best Ports I've ever had. Smooth, soft and still full of life. The color was like caramell. I was very happy to open the bottle, and I am sure, that my uncle enjoyed it aswell.

Lately I have discovered, that 1 bottle is not enough for 4 people... So I Allways open 2 :lol:
Allan
That's a perfect description :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Flabbergasted!

At the moment, 39% of the poll respondents voted that they've ordered Port in a restaurant in the past month. I would have thought this arbitrary poll would've yielded a result closer to 15-20% at best, for the particular time frame.

Wow! :NotWorthy:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

We ordered a bottle of 1994 Gould Campbell Wed. night with dinner. Had them decant it at the beginning of the meal. Not pictured was a '96 white Burgundy that we started off with.

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nice, how was it? And how were the other wines?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Nice, how was it? And how were the other wines?
1994 GC - In an akward phase. Would hold off another 3-4 years at least before digging into unless you have the time 24-48+ hours to decant.

1964 Guigal Hermitage - Could be my WOTN. So earthy on the nose, just heaven. What's not to like?

1985 Corbieres - Solid, had some fruit left. Most liked as one of their favorites. Had this same bottle last year with similar results.

1997 CdP - The most perfect in terms of performing. Floral, soft and well balanced. Most thought it was WOTN. I was torn between the Guigal and the CdP

1985 Cuvaison - A little tired. Leaner style of old style style CA cab. Nothing to write home about if you have had such wines before.

If I told you how much the Gould Campbell cost, there would be a flurry of questions... :thumbsup: Guesses?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Nice, how was it? And how were the other wines?
1994 GC - In an akward phase. Would hold off another 3-4 years at least before digging into unless you have the time 24-48+ hours to decant.

1964 Guigal Hermitage - Could be my WOTN. So earthy on the nose, just heaven. What's not to like?

1985 Corbieres - Solid, had some fruit left. Most liked as one of their favorites. Had this same bottle last year with similar results.

1997 CdP - The most perfect in terms of performing. Floral, soft and well balanced. Most thought it was WOTN. I was torn between the Guigal and the CdP

1985 Cuvaison - A little tired. Leaner style of old style style CA cab. Nothing to write home about if you have had such wines before.

If I told you how much the Gould Campbell cost, there would be a flurry of questions... :thumbsup: Guesses?
Cool....Free??
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Cool....Free??
No, not free... Perhaps less than one could buy it at a packy; if that's a good enough clue. [dance2.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

About 30 minutes ago, 20 year old Niepoort tawny, at the Red House in Renton, WA. It had a lot more fruitiness than I would expect from a 20, but was very good.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

You're in Renton???
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Last night I managed to weasel my way into the just re-opened and newly renovated Club 33 at Disneyland. The new bar has some new Ports now. I saw a Ramos Pinto 30 Year tawny, a Dow 10 Year, a Graham 20 year, Graham's Six Grapes, and a Dow's LBV (not sure on vintage), a Sandeman Founders Reserve, and a couple Madeira's behind it which I couldn't make out other than what looked like a Sandeman's Rainwater. They had yet to put them on the wine list, so I didn't get pricing or a full list. Will report back when I do. Just happy they've now got what appears to be a good variety of Ports on offer. That said, it was blistering out yesterday and all I wanted was some cold gin and tonics, so I didn't order an Ports...next time.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:You're in Renton???
Not any more. That was a very short stop before flying out to the Hakai Protected Area, BC, for fishing.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Best port offering I had at a restaurant is 1970 Croft for $50 a bottle. :winebath:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Best port offering I had at a restaurant is 1970 Croft for $50 a bottle. :winebath:
:shock: I hope you went back until they were gone.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Best port offering I had at a restaurant is 1970 Croft for $50 a bottle. :winebath:
:shock: I hope you went back until they were gone.
We've had a couple of bottles there, along with the Gould Campbell. '64 Guigal Cote Rotie for $60 isn't bad either.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Holy cow. A flight to boston plus ordering those wines might be cheaper than ordering them at a local restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Great to see you getting such mileage out of the annual Troquet cellar clearance, Moses.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Brian C. wrote:Great to see you getting such mileage out of the annual Troquet cellar clearance, Moses.
One or two more times this summer.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had a 1984 Dow LBV at Troquet the other night, along with is pictured. The Dow was perfect blend of tawny and ruby with a Dow profile. I believe it had a driven cork. The Lynch Bages was 1966.

John M.

Post by John M. »

Had a glass of Taylor 20 a couple nights ago on Cape Cod--my first port in over a month....the bartender initially put it into an aperitif glass (don't you hate when that happens)--then had him transfer to a large wine glass. Still fresh and vibrant so that part was good.
Any Port in a storm!